What to do? (Consultancy) Watch

Crazy_Pooch
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Ok, so I'm currently at the University of Leeds studying Management... I know, I know, not the best business school in the world. I want to do something a long the lines of Management Consultancy and my question is, bearing in mind it is super unlikely that I'd be able to get into a top-tier consultancy firm, what to do after my degree? (Assuming I get a first or a 2.1)

Should I go straight on to do a postgraduate course, a masters in Management, at one of the top Universities then go for a top firm? Or should I try get a job at a middle-tier consultant firm, work for a few years, then hopefully get a good GMAT score and apply to an MBA course at one of the top Business schools and then go for a job at a top firm?

TYIA.
crafty bison
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My instinct would be to go for the latter but you have to be prepared for the fact that unless you can really excel, a top firm may not want you for quite a few years until you've quite literally become a world leader. Young hires at top-tier consultancy firms are typically Oxbridge-educated.
naddles
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Did you get an internship?
Crazy_Pooch
Rep:
?
(Original post by naddles)
Did you get an internship?
Just starting second year so looking at internships this year.
naddles
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Crazy_Pooch)
Just starting second year so looking at internships this year.
it's vital you secure one!wish I had managed to get one during my second year but it didn't work out
Crazy_Pooch
Rep:
?
it's vital you secure one!wish I had managed to get one during my second year but it didn't work out
How do you rate my chances? Obviously the better firm the better but is a internship at a small/mid size firm still worthwhile?
naddles
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Crazy_Pooch)
How do you rate my chances? Obviously the better firm the better but is a internship at a small/mid size firm still worthwhile?
Any experiance can't be a bad thing so go for it
Nabster_88
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Which consultancy firm did you do your intern with. M/B/B don't do they so are there many others apart from Deloitte and Accenture?
naddles
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Nabster_88)
Which consultancy firm did you do your intern with. M/B/B don't do they so are there many others apart from Deloitte and Accenture?
Didn't get one so I'm going to try my luck again - both big and small firms
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (139)
38.19%
No - but I will (20)
5.49%
No - I don't want to (26)
7.14%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (179)
49.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed