Any gig-goers at Aberdeen? Watch

SugarDonut
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
See, I was afraid that I'd have to go down to either Edinburgh or Glasgow all the time to see gigs, thinking that not many bands would come up to Aberdeen, but apparently I'm wrong!

http://www.allgigs.co.uk/Gigs.php?cl...4688264&page=1

Just saw the list of gigs and I have to say, it's miles better than where I live now lol

I'm thinking of going to see Pendulum, Bloc Party, Franz Ferdinand, Enter Shikari, Funeral For A Friend, Calvin Harris, Kasabian and Gallows. Obviously not all of them, but I think I'll definitely be going to see quite a few gigs at Aberdeen :P
Keeno89
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by SugarDonut)
See, I was afraid that I'd have to go down to either Edinburgh or Glasgow all the time to see gigs, thinking that not many bands would come up to Aberdeen, but apparently I'm wrong!

http://www.allgigs.co.uk/Gigs.php?cl...4688264&page=1

Just saw the list of gigs and I have to say, it's miles better than where I live now lol

I'm thinking of going to see Pendulum, Bloc Party, Franz Ferdinand, Enter Shikari, Funeral For A Friend, Calvin Harris, Kasabian and Gallows. Obviously not all of them, but I think I'll definitely be going to see quite a few gigs at Aberdeen :P
All I can say is you do know how much those gigs cost each right? :p: The ones at music hall/ AECC are really expensive.

The music scene here isn't bad at all.... but most of the bigger touring bands I like only go to Glasgow.... so I miss out on a lot of my favourite bands quite often
Yekim_8
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Kasabian and Calvin Harris look good but as mentioned before price is a factor as I think it's £25 a brief in this venue so it will definetly be pick and choose carefully for most gigs up there.

Aslo not gigs as such but Michael Mcintyre and Frankie Boyle are doing shows up there which look very decent. I'd imagine Mcintyre would have sold out as his is in October/November but Boyle is not till March or April. Lucky I have got my tickets for Mcintyre in Glasgow already
Heather_Duncan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ooh I love gigs... I'm a big fan of the smaller venues with newer or quirkyer bands... check out the tunnels!
Keeno89
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Heather_Duncan)
Ooh I love gigs... I'm a big fan of the smaller venues with newer or quirkyer bands... check out the tunnels!
Add Drummonds and Snafu to that list too! Lots of lesser known UK bands as well as some bigger bands play at them

(Original post by Yekim_8)
Kasabian and Calvin Harris look good but as mentioned before price is a factor as I think it's £25 a brief in this venue so it will definetly be pick and choose carefully for most gigs up there.

Aslo not gigs as such but Michael Mcintyre and Frankie Boyle are doing shows up there which look very decent. I'd imagine Mcintyre would have sold out as his is in October/November but Boyle is not till March or April. Lucky I have got my tickets for Mcintyre in Glasgow already
Frankie Boyle sold out months ago :p:
Yekim_8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Keeno89)

Frankie Boyle sold out months ago :p:

Nightmare :[ looks like there is still some for Edinburgh though it's in October 2010!! will have heard all of his jokes on Mock the week by that time. Same happened last year when I seen him bar a few live gags.
Keeno89
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Yekim_8)
Nightmare :[ looks like there is still some for Edinburgh though it's in October 2010!! will have heard all of his jokes on Mock the week by that time. Same happened last year when I seen him bar a few live gags.
The original date in Aberdeen sold out really quickly so they added a second date... which sold out really quickly.

Urgh the amount of times I have heard that moderately powerful pokemon joke....
Heather_Duncan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oh I forgot Snafu have the dirty hearts club

drummonds has never really done it for me the acoustics are rubbish and the bands are usually a bit shouty for me. They aren't as picky about who they book if you catch my drift Might have changed since they were taken over a while back though?

I like going to see lesser known bands and then watching them become big, it makes me smile like this -->
51andCounting
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think most of them will have sold out ages ago mate. I'm going 2 see Kasabian in November...can't wait
Keeno89
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oh I forgot Snafu have the dirty hearts club

drummonds has never really done it for me the acoustics are rubbish and the bands are usually a bit shouty for me. They aren't as picky about who they book if you catch my drift Might have changed since they were taken over a while back though?

I like going to see lesser known bands and then watching them become big, it makes me smile like this -->
I've never been to Snafu as a night club. I only go there for comedy nights and gigs :p:

The PA system in Drummonds is better than the PA system in tunnels IMO... I have been to LOADS of gigs at both and sometimes the sound in Tunnels has been horrible, drummonds is never bad really. Although that has a lot to do with the Sound Engineer. Tunnels has suffered since Scott left

As for shouty stuff... I am a big metal fan If you haven't noticed their is quite a big metal scene in Aberdeen :p: Oh and the venue don't book anyone. It's promoters who book the venue... and it just seems as though the promoters who get the metal bands like putting on gigs there! A fair few metal gigs at the Tunnels though too.
Heather_Duncan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've never been to Snafu as a night club. I only go there for comedy nights and gigs :p:

The PA system in Drummonds is better than the PA system in tunnels IMO... I have been to LOADS of gigs at both and sometimes the sound in Tunnels has been horrible, drummonds is never bad really. Although that has a lot to do with the Sound Engineer. Tunnels has suffered since Scott left

As for shouty stuff... I am a big metal fan If you haven't noticed their is quite a big metal scene in Aberdeen :p: Oh and the venue don't book anyone. It's promoters who book the venue... and it just seems as though the promoters who get the metal bands like putting on gigs there! A fair few metal gigs at the Tunnels though too.

Well I've lived here for 21 years and my best friend was a promoter for tunnels and moshulu :p: so I've noticed... just not that into it myself. I agree that the tunnels has not been as good recently I just prefer it as a venue but I suppose it's a lot do do with my taste in music and because I've been going there for 7 years so it feels like home haha! I miss drummonds comedy nights though, snafu jst does't beat them.
Keeno89
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well I've lived here for 21 years and my best friend was a promoter for tunnels and moshulu :p: so I've noticed... just not that into it myself. I agree that the tunnels has not been as good recently I just prefer it as a venue but I suppose it's a lot do do with my taste in music and because I've been going there for 7 years so it feels like home haha! I miss drummonds comedy nights though, snafu jst does't beat them.
Oh I didn't know drummonds did comedy nights. How long ago did that stop? Yeah I suppose drummonds is mostly metal and rock. Have been to a couple of ska gigs there though :yep:

Snafu gets some good non metal bands. This Town Needs Guns are playing there next month. Can't wait for that show
dd1989
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I went to see Oasis at the Conference Centre, it was amazing.
theweehighlander
Report 9 years ago
As for shouty stuff... I am a big metal fan If you haven't noticed their is quite a big metal scene in Aberdeen :p:
Thats good to know being a fellow metal head myself!

I wanted to go see Kasabian and Michael McIntyre too however, only noticed the dates when I searched last month, and both were obviously sold out. Gutted! But good to see there will be plenty going on, shame ill be a poor student in 3 days though and miss out on most of them! :p:
dd1989
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Metal is *****. On Keeno's Last.Fm his most played artist is actually Kylie.... !

And that is the end of that, lol.
Entangled
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm in the advantageous position of not giving a toss about the modern excuses going around the country. Keeping to the CDs instead of bothering with the concert prices.
Keeno89
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by theweehighlander)
Thats good to know being a fellow metal head myself!

I wanted to go see Kasabian and Michael McIntyre too however, only noticed the dates when I searched last month, and both were obviously sold out. Gutted! But good to see there will be plenty going on, shame ill be a poor student in 3 days though and miss out on most of them! :p:
Yeah you need to buy tickets early for stuff here since they usually sell out quite quickly.

Ooh what sort of bands do you like? http://www.last.fm/user/keeno89/library#p1 is my last fm charts... to answer what dd said

(Original post by dd1989)
Metal is *****. On Keeno's Last.Fm his most played artist is actually Kylie.... !

And that is the end of that, lol.
I am trying to think of a link between Kylie and a Canadian technical death metal band but I honestly can't! I am just wary of taking criticism from someone who's main artist is Oasis :p: If it was Radiohead I wouldn't say anything cos i like them

(Original post by Entangled)
I'm in the advantageous position of not giving a toss about the modern excuses going around the country. Keeping to the CDs instead of bothering with the concert prices.
Live music > CD's... Unless the band in question are of course rubbish live..... But yeah going to gigs is awesome. You just need to get some underground musical tastes! I rarely pay more than £10 for a gig ticket and most of the ones featuring the smaller UK touring bands are at most £5. Plus it's better to buy CD's from the band at concerts. Generally costs the same or sometimes less and they make more money from it:yep:
Entangled
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Live music > CD's... Unless the band in question are of course rubbish live..... But yeah going to gigs is awesome. You just need to get some underground musical tastes! I rarely pay more than £10 for a gig ticket and most of the ones featuring the smaller UK touring bands are at most £5. Plus it's better to buy CD's from the band at concerts. Generally costs the same or sometimes less and they make more money from it
That's kinda where I was going when I said it. It works one of two ways - rubbish live or just generally rubbish. It's not my sort of thing to tell you the truth - I'm matched to my dad for music taste.
Keeno89
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Entangled)
That's kinda where I was going when I said it. It works one of two ways - rubbish live or just generally rubbish. It's not my sort of thing to tell you the truth - I'm matched to my dad for music taste.
Very few bands I have seen have been rubbish live! It tends to be the more successful ones who are :p: In my experience anyway.
Entangled
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Very few bands I have seen have been rubbish live! It tends to be the more successful ones who are In my experience anyway.
What I saw of T in the Park, minus the immortal Pet Shop Boys of course, is breathing testament to the bigger ones not really caring that much.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 5 Oct '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (481)
37.84%
No - but I will (98)
7.71%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.92%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (604)
47.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed