Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else here do Salters Physics? What a load of *******s. Instead of equations and proper theory it's

"Have a look at this pretty picture of a house, carry out this random obscure experiment that no schools have got the equipment to do anyway and then read about the life of an environmental officer, and hopefully you will understand everything about how the universe began."

What a load of stupid ****ing *******s. I've got a great renewable energy resource - burning the infinite supply of pathetic, idiotic salters horners physics exam questions. If ever I see that environmental officer, I'm going to wrap her in that roll of magic wallpaper that seems to keep cropping up randomly.

I HATE SALTERS PHYSICS, I'M GOING TO DESTROY YOU ALL!!!!!!!

So, how are you Salters people revising?

ReputationRep:
    lol, exactly what i thought last year during my a level phyics.

ReputationRep:
    It's meant to teach you to think like a scientist and not spew out pre-programmed facts without any thought. That said, i'm glad I'm not on that board.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Narin)
    It's meant to teach you to think like a scientist and not spew out pre-programmed facts without any thought. That said, i'm glad I'm not on that board.
    ur lucky, ur not reading a story book and watchign 20 year old videos and you get to do proper physics, kinda.

ReputationRep:
    lol, that made me laugh.

I hate salters... i did salters chemistry and the book was a pile of ****. People complain about edexcel physics too.. but apart from the lack of clarity sometimes and stupid phy6 paper it isn't that bad. Why do schools use the *****y salters board for? Are they crazy?

ReputationRep:
    Are Salters and Salters Horners the same? I do Salters Horners and I totally agree. This past paer question sums it up perfectly:

"A student hears that it is possible to cook a sausage by passing a current through it

She makes some measurements using an ammeter and voltmeter in a crcuit with a sausage

This table gives some her results"

The next part spoke about working out the resistace of a sausage ffs. Their textbook is worthless too - about half of it completly irrelevant! And why does every single question start with "A student.............." do they have a fetish or something?

ReputationRep:
    I particularly like the picture of dark matter in the A2 textbook.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shyopstv)
    Are Salters and Salters Horners the same? I do Salters Horners and I totally agree. This past paer question sums it up perfectly:

"A student hears that it is possible to cook a sausage by passing a current through it

She makes some measurements using an ammeter and voltmeter in a crcuit with a sausage

The next part spoke about working out the resistace of a sausage ffs. Their textbook is worthless too - about half of it completly irrelevant! And why does every single question start with "A student.............." do they have a fetish or something?
    Oh my god, that's the exact question I always moan about. I had it on AS phys last year.

"Why does the resistance change?"

Answer: "Because the sausage cooks."

Got 100% in that paper. What can I say, if they ask a stupid question, give them a stupid answer!

ReputationRep:
    I had the sausage question too. I completely messed that up. I got an A for AS Salters Physics, but goodness knows how. I think its to do with the fact that the board is so appalling at writing proper physics questions (which might test theories and knowledge) that they don't get many of the responses they want. I WONDER WHY!?

Proper scientist? To be fair proper scientists don't piss around with sausages and stuff, they contribute something useful to society. Magic wallpaper, lol. That's the most random thing in the whole course.

Also, the questions about electricity, particularly capacitors need a more accessible format. They are disproportionately difficult. That is of course if you consider electricity anything more than a wish-washy fantasy science, which I most certainly do not.

Yes... wish-wash, is the only term fitting for Salters...

ReputationRep:
    salters horner is the most pointless thing ever especially when u have a pointless physics teacher who doens't know how to teach.

ReputationRep:
    its too hard to extract the physics from the rubbish like the equation for helmholtz coils do we actually need to know that or is it salters rubbish that isn't in the course

ReputationRep:
    Well, this is nice. So Salters Horners is, um, bad for lack of a stronger term? Uh oh, I've got that coming in Sept. Eeeek.

ReputationRep:
    Well I found AS Salters Horners Physics quite good over the past year and look forward to doing A2 in september. I don't understand everyone's problem with it. Ok yeah a lot of its a load of crap, but if you actually read through the book you'll find that its all there. I think the general idea is that most of the theory is meant to come from the teachers and the textbook and units are just a way of organising it and trying to make it interesting, which if you ask me, it doesnt do too bad a job of it either.

I also did Salters Chemistry which does a similar kind of thing and also found it useful. I guess it depends on each individual. Some people like things to be in context, others would rather just have their brain crammed with a load of equations, nothing wrong with either approach.

ReputationRep:
    I did the A2 salters physics course and found it good... esp the 2nd year.. but we do have an excellent physics dept. at our college, they wrote us revision guides and we didn;t use the books an awful lot... except for the 1st A2 unit, TRA, as our two of our teachers wrote that!...I didn't think the 1st year wasn't so great and lost the will to live a bit with all the piddly little experiments we had to write up. I really enjoyed doing the big eperiment in the 2nd year though. Physics exams aren;t my forte, but hopefully the coursework will bring up the grade a bit.

I also did salters horners chemistry, only at AS though... couldnt get on with it... a combination of badly organised textbooks and a cr*ppy teacher!!

ReputationRep:

The next part spoke about working out the resistace of a sausage ffs.
    :rofl: That's hilarious!

ReputationRep:
    Tell me about it. This year's PSA1 paper almost matched it - it went something along these lines:

A small child looked through the hot air coming from the top of a barbeque. She mentioned that trees looked all wobbly

Explain why the trees looked "all wobbly"

I'm not complaining though as I ended up getting 92/100 for that paper along with 88/100 for PSA2 and PSA3 (coursework) giving me a pretty strong A overall. I have no idea how it happened I came out of the exam thinking I had a C at best

ReputationRep:
    I think the course I will be doing in Sept. in called 'Advancing Physics'...thats nothing to do with Salters is it??

ReputationRep:
    Tell me about it. This year's PSA1 paper almost matched it - it went something along these lines:

A small child looked through the hot air coming from the top of a barbeque. She mentioned that trees looked all wobbly

Explain why the trees looked "all wobbly"

I'm not complaining though as I ended up getting 92/100 for that paper along with 88/100 for PSA2 and PSA3 (coursework) giving me a pretty strong A overall. I have no idea how it happened I came out of the exam thinking I had a C at best
    Good one, shyopstv (is that a Russian name?). Salters and Nuffield are renowned for being by far, the hardest exam boards for A-level sciences (and after reading some of the questions put forward on this forum, I can't refute that!). :p: :rofl: Very odd.

ReputationRep:
    Advancing Physics is run by OCR, Salters is Edexcel's territory, which explains a lot really....:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pixelated)
    Good one, shyopstv (is that a Russian name?).
    Nope it is a series of random characters I entered because I was annoyed with everything else being already taken. I remember it because it was a randomly created password I got on some other site

Come to think of it, it does sound Russian though

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 20, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.