tips/help from anyone who did french Watch

slightlyoddchild
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
yeah do you have any tips? like which books are worth buying and which definitley arent.
also main question, what is the timetable like, i have no idea what sort of hours or free time to expect in terms of whether i can get a job.
and just anything else helpful, thanks
Sarah H
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Language classes are 3 hours a week...stage 4 is definitely 1 double plus an oral class.

Most content units are 1 lecture and 1 tutorial a week...depends entirely on what you're taking! Think you'll probs average 10-15 contact hours a week. (Do they still do that stupid FLS/skills thing current Frenchies? :rolleyes:)

Grammar books maybe worthwhile...I've still got some from 1st year and it came in handy when I was writing up my project/diss! For content units, I'd either try using the library or getting dirt cheap used copies from other students/amazon.
.ACS.
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Sarah H)
Sorry to hijack the thread. :p:

But a quick question: Are any of the French language modules only one semester, as in can be done in the first semester only but not carried to the second? I thought this was the case but I've just received an odd email from the School of Social Sciences saying this isn't the case and so I can't choose a French language elective.
Sarah H
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
*ahem*

http://www.soton.ac.uk/cls/courses/units.html
makinghistory
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'd ask Jonnythemoose or Cloop as they both did French, also JTM is pres of the Modern Language society so he'll answer. (He's going to lurve me for bigging him up like this).
slightlyoddchild
Rep:
?
thanks everyone
cloop
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It will go to his head Emma!

Honestly SOC, apart from a good grammar book I wouldn't advise buying anything until your course starts. Afterall, they often have second hand books or cheaper options! It's better to wait and seeeee. When you get to Uni and find out what books you do need to buy, try and get in touch with a 2nd year asap who will be able to sell you their old one for a very cheap price! I reckon that's the best option.
slightlyoddchild
Rep:
?
(Original post by cloop)
It will go to his head Emma!

Honestly SOC, apart from a good grammar book I wouldn't advise buying anything until your course starts. Afterall, they often have second hand books or cheaper options! It's better to wait and seeeee. When you get to Uni and find out what books you do need to buy, try and get in touch with a 2nd year asap who will be able to sell you their old one for a very cheap price! I reckon that's the best option.
i think i already have an alright grammar book so im probably ok . yeah i will try and do that then, did you actually get many books in the end and were they particularly expensive?
cloop
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I got one grammar book... One other book that they tell you to get for language... was about to tell you the name but can't currently find it :-s and one other for one of my modules. But I think I got less than most. Spent around 45 including a v.expensive grammar book!
cloop
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Point par Point, Cahier Intermédiaire by Yves Loiseau and Régine Mérieux...
That's the only one I would recommend buying in advance!
slightlyoddchild
Rep:
?
(Original post by cloop)
Point par Point, Cahier Intermédiaire by Yves Loiseau and Régine Mérieux...
That's the only one I would recommend buying in advance!
thanks so much , il go check it out on amazon now
Sarah H
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I haven't used Point par Point since first year haha.

I swear by French Grammar & Usage - Hawkins & Towell...they got us to buy Practising French Grammar by the same people for stage 5. They're pretty good
cloop
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have that one too :-)
Never opened it though
jonnythemoose
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have french grammar and usage...Ive not used it yet either, but it serves as a great reference for any grammar point whatsoever. Point par point is the compulsory grammar book for stage 4, so youll get homeworks specifically set from that book.

I guess all the other questions have been answered, but yeah I'm Jonny and I do French too :beard: :iits:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (413)
37.75%
No - but I will (83)
7.59%
No - I don't want to (75)
6.86%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (523)
47.81%

Watched Threads