Getting a bike before term Watch

riotgrrrl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi,

So I've moved to start my postgrad and it turns out I could fit everything in the car but my bike, however having moved, its only a ten minute bike (maybe 15) into town, but walking its a 45, hence, at the moment I feel pretty much stuck in my house as by the time I have made it into town an hours past because I've got lost!

So I figure I need to buy a bike or try and go back for mine. Realistically has anyone found a second hand bike for under £30? I'm trying to catch a bike before the undergrads come, there is more demand and the prices reflect this.

So, tomorrow I'm popping into town. Most of the posts I've read from the search just say, look for a generic second hand shop, but anyone know my best shot?

I'm not fussy and Cambridge isn't that hilly so two wheels, a saddle, breaks and handle bars are all I need, geers is a plus.

So as you guys are most likely to know... Where should I look?
(If possible I want to avoid the market if they are going to be stolen...)
mwiko
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You could ask your college?
I'm not sure, but I think that the colleges usually have a cull of bikes [the ones which have been left behind] every so often, so you might be able to pick one of those up cheaply?
riotgrrrl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
ok, and sorry to sound ignorant but when you say ask the college... is there a specific number/ email (I'm in Darwin) should I follow the contact details link on the darwin website?
_imperator_
Report 9 years ago
Have a look on http://www.cam.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wwwnews...dverts.forsale, there are often bikes on there from people leaving cambridge, and often fairly cheap.
mwiko
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I would just ask the porters, they know everything! :p:
At my college I think the college marshall or the clerk of works is the one officially in charge of the bikes/getting rid of them. But I'm not 100% on how that translates to other colleges.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (509)
37.76%
No - but I will (103)
7.64%
No - I don't want to (92)
6.82%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (644)
47.77%

Watched Threads