Microsoft Office Watch

bigbhoy91
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Bought my laptop around Easter time. It came with a 60 day free trial of Microsoft Office.

However now I am well over 60 days since buying it, yet I am still able to use it. By use I mean save documents/open other ones.

All I have to do is close the small box asking me for a configuration number (to clarify the whole thing). Surely I am not able to get a free Microsoft Office by just cancelling setup each time it asks for it?

Off to Uni soon, so if I do actually need to get it I would rather do it now.

Help/advice appreciated.
A Mysterious Lord
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The Ultimate Steal should be back on later this month, you'll be able to get Office Ultimate for £40. There's also OpenOffice if you want a free alternative.
seriouslyc
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
http://www.software4students.co.uk/
username280380
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Consider yourself lucky, but seriously, uninstall and switch to Openoffice.org.
joe708
Report 9 years ago
that software4students has got to be a scam, hasn't it? anyone used it?
TheTallOne
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by joe708)
It's legit - there's a page on the Microsoft website saying that they are partners.

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/educatio...s.aspx#story-4
andrewkeith5
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Nope, it's legit - I use it very often afaik the office products can also be installed on 2 computers

£35 buys you office enterprise - this is the same as ultimate for a third the price of the retail version of "student and teacher edition", which most retailers reckon is great value, so to have the ultimate edition for that price would be a brilliant deal regardless

Seriously, don't use open office if you like office - it's less than the price of a textbook, and has a WAY better and easier to use interface, as well as being designed by the same company that designed the operating system, meaning seamless integration (i'd also reccomend going for the free office live online service which allows you to store documents online from within office itself, as well as share and collaborate on those documents)

http://www.software4students.com - nothing is more worth it, and all you have to do is tell them where you study (oh, i should mention that there is a service charge as well as p&p, but for the massive discounts you're getting that can be overlooked, and it becomes even better value if you buy more than one product at once)

I wish I earned commission for recommending that site
Norfolkadam
Badges: 15
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
The Ultimate Steal should be back on later this month, you'll be able to get Office Ultimate for £40. There's also OpenOffice if you want a free alternative.
I bought Office 2007 Enterprise edition from some student website for £32 the other day so the I think the Ultimate Steal is a year-round thing now, either that or this is a different offer.
Daina
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
After the trial you can still open documents.
Can you edit the documents?
DAFOne
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yea, when I first got my computer, I used my trial for a good 8 months before I had to buy it...

EDIT: as for OPs question, if you want to not buy it, all you have to do is delete the trial file from the registries (yes, there's a trial file), but don't do it because those people worked their buts off to make a good software.
divinelord
Badges: 10
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Daina)
After the trial you can still open documents.
Can you edit the documents?
No
someperson
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
im thinking of buying ms office for my laptop..have openoffice atm. but when is office 2010 out?
andrewkeith5
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by someperson)
im thinking of buying ms office for my laptop..have openoffice atm. but when is office 2010 out?
er....2010?

Should be 1H 2010 as far as I know, but I don't know if an actual date has been set yet. Is there anything in particular about 2010 that you want/need?
someperson
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by andrewkeith5)
er....2010?

Should be 1H 2010 as far as I know, but I don't know if an actual date has been set yet. Is there anything in particular about 2010 that you want/need?
oh ok thanks...i don't really need it...i'd just like to have the latest software:p:

Edit: lol i guessed 2010...just wanted to know around when in that year:p:
andrewkeith5
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by someperson)
oh ok thanks...i don't really need it...i'd just like to have the latest software:p:

Edit: lol i guessed 2010...just wanted to know around when in that year:p:
lol, fair enough - me too :P I'll be buying it as soon as I can afford it :P

Lol, well 1H is the best I can do at the moment, I think Microsoft are a bit distracted by their stupid and pointless i4i lawsuit to commit to an actual release at the moment though
someperson
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by andrewkeith5)
lol, fair enough - me too :P I'll be buying it as soon as I can afford it :P

Lol, well 1H is the best I can do at the moment, I think Microsoft are a bit distracted by their stupid and pointless i4i lawsuit to commit to an actual release at the moment though
lol...i'll be looking for it on software4students next year then:p:
donks169
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes. Its fine.
hammy02
Report 9 years ago
You should try cesis.co.uk They are also registered Microsoft partners listed on the UK Microsoft website and are Dell partners as well. They sell all the software and the laptops and you buy for all the family not just students. Pay by 3PM and they deliver the next day. They have an instant download option so if you need the software today you can install it and they will also post the order as well so you have a proper copy. You can also order over the phone (you cant do that with software4students), they will install the software for you free of charge if you need them to and they also take PayPal as well as cards. They also sell the proper boxed versions so you can sell it on when you are finised with it. The software4student versions have no box and cant be sold on, you have to delete them when you are finished using them and you have to verify your student status.
munkie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by hammy02)
You should try cesis.co.uk They are also registered Microsoft partners listed on the UK Microsoft website and are Dell partners as well. They sell all the software and the laptops and you buy for all the family not just students. Pay by 3PM and they deliver the next day. They have an instant download option so if you need the software today you can install it and they will also post the order as well so you have a proper copy. You can also order over the phone (you cant do that with software4students), they will install the software for you free of charge if you need them to and they also take PayPal as well as cards. They also sell the proper boxed versions so you can sell it on when you are finised with it. The software4student versions have no box and cant be sold on, you have to delete them when you are finished using them and you have to verify your student status.
Yes, but the equivalent version of Office on your site is £140...

Nice first post!
crazymotherduck
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I was sent a corrupt file from Software4students, it also transpires that s4s appears to be a one man band, a man called Aaron who tells me he is physically in Dublin yet his co.uk url has a London telephone number and Belfast address, his .com address I think is Dublin and so is the .ie one ... :confused:

In my own experience he has ducked and dived so hard despite seeing the report from Microsoft who confirmed the file was corrupt to the point my whole system crashed and I lost my Office 2007 which I'd had loaded previously and used. :mad:

Use Pugh's .. they are fractionally more expensive but easily contactable, very good and send out disks rather than downloads which take about 4 hours a piece and may be corrupt as mine was.

I requested a refund under the 'Sales of Goods' act as advised by Trading Standards and still he is ducking and diving .. personally I will never use them again and will warn people off., there is absolutely nothing that I can say that is positive about them, sorry but I learned the hard way, be careful, money is tight after all and pay peanuts, I certainly got monkeys!!

Perhaps if we were all to contact Watchdog, they might investigate them??
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (145)
38.36%
No - but I will (21)
5.56%
No - I don't want to (28)
7.41%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (184)
48.68%

Watched Threads