The Student Room Group

Maths Uni Chat

Scroll to see replies

SimonM

Statistics (compulsory)

Eh? Didn't know second years stats was compulsory anywhere (for pure maths courses, at least).

Next year I'm freeeeeee from uni, although there are still a couple of things I want to conquer:
Some analytic number theory (the course this year was cancelled, boo!)
More homology
Some simple modular representation theory (useful for if/when I go back to do a PhD)
Measure theory (don't know how I managed to avoid doing this properly!)
Reply 2821
Glutamic Acid
Question: what courses are people considering taking next year.

I think our DoS expects people to go to them all at the start, and then gradually drop the ones you're struggling with/don't have time with/don't like. I'll probably go them them all to start with; my preconceived ideas as to what I like/dislike very often turn out to be wrong.
Reply 2822
SimonM
Methods (Notes only, not lectures)
Analysis II (Notes only, not lectures)
Markov Chains
Quantum Mechanics
Fluid Dynamics (see how long that lasts)

Electromagnetism (probably not for long)
Numerical Analysis (again, perhaps)
Statistics (compulsory)
Geometry
Fluid Dynamics (if I last that long)

These look as though they're almost split termly, any reason fluids is in both?
And no linear algebra?

Also, I'm now halfway through my degree. Eek.
Slumpy

Mee too. Scary. >.<
Reply 2824
I just woke up and had the itch to revise some probability, as there is no use shying away from one's weaknesses whilst they're still compulsary... Anyway, I found some awesomely readable notes on the Stanford website, which made me wonder why I don't go snooping the American notes more often... :ninja:
v-zero
I just woke up and had the itch to revise some probability, as there is no use shying away from one's weaknesses whilst they're still compulsary... Anyway, I found some awesomely readable notes on the Stanford website, which made me wonder why I don't go snooping the American notes more often... :ninja:

link?
Reply 2827
Slumpy
These look as though they're almost split termly, any reason fluids is in both?
And no linear algebra?

Yeah, going off how they were split this year, it seems fluids is in both.

I've done linear algebra.
Reply 2828
majikthise
Eh? Didn't know second years stats was compulsory anywhere (for pure maths courses, at least).

Our master is a statistician, I think that has something to do with it
Reply 2829
SimonM
Yeah, going off how they were split this year, it seems fluids is in both.

I've done linear algebra.

I thought that might be what you were thinking, as I recall, fluids in michaelmas was just a printing error, and it only actually runs in lent.

Ah, makes sense.
Finally installed matlab :smile: Meaning I can now miss every monday 9am lecture and just go through worksheets at home and get 3more hours in bed :biggrin:

Also had enough of the effects of christmas/exam revision chocolate fest that has resulted in some weight gain xD So as from today am eating healthy again and doing exercise. Needa get my 1mile run to a reasonable time, and will probably do the 100pushup routine also.

Anyone got any decent notes on graphical representations of ODE's? I missed the lecture (amsterdam) and the notes on manc website aren't that decent tbh :\

Also stats is compulsary for me also next year! GRRR!
DeanK22
Just as much pure as I can (so integration, group theory, etc) and coupled with caluclus of variations and multivariable calculus [which are supposedyl insanely easy]. Looking at 1 or 2 third year courses to take ut undecided as of yet.

Yourself?

I'm similarly inclined w.r.t. taking as much pure as possible. Michaelmas term: methods, analysis II, linear algebra (sigh), Markov chains, quantum mechanics and perhaps Galois theory. Lent: complex analysis (I tried it this term, but didn't find it interesting enough to keep attending), numerical analysis (I hear it's easy, but dull), statistics and geometry (though I will struggle); perhaps electromagnetism too. Algebraic topology is ruled out: "Apart from the IB analysis courses, the only prerequisite is a modicum of geometrical intuition". I'd also rather not have to wait until 3rd year to do some number theory.
There's a module on "Codes". That sounds ossm.
However, next year I may just be repeating this year, so I'm not choosing yet, I hate tempting fate...
Reply 2833
assmaster
There's a module on "Codes". That sounds ossm.
However, next year I may just be repeating this year, so I'm not choosing yet, I hate tempting fate...

Unfortunately Codes is no where near as exciting as it sounds! Unless they've changed it a lot it could basically be called 'applied linear algebra'.
Reply 2834
I drew up a list of modules that look fun but it came to 336 CATS (maximum is 180) :frown:

Spoiler

'Theoretical Neuroscience' :w00t:
Reply 2835
Sooz
Unfortunately Codes is no where near as exciting as it sounds! Unless they've changed it a lot it could basically be called 'applied linear algebra'.

The assmaster loves Linear Algebra....
Reply 2836
Codes wasn't great and was nowhere near as much fun as linear algebra.
I'M GOING BACK TO UNI!

(On Sunday)

But YES
Sooz

It is going to be massively changed - Linear Algebra has been moved to first year.
Reply 2839
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
It is going to be massively changed - Linear Algebra has been moved to first year.

I meant more by the change of lecturer than that. I don't think the move of linear algebra would affect it that much, except maybe make it go a bit faster as concepts that we hadn't done yet in linear algebra had to be taught to us in codes first as well.
Was still a fun module though as was geometric topology.

Quick Reply

Latest