The Student Room Group

Maths Uni Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3160
Simplicity
Christmas I think is the worst.

See you don't even make a profit of some kind. Because you have to buy other presents and when you get older and if you have kids they would be wanting stuff for christmas. Also, you get stupid christians claiming this is the day jesus(who probably didn't exist) was born, yet there is no evidence at all for that(however, who lets evidence get in the way of blind faith).

P.S. Also, Birthdays.

Religious (truly) Holidays probably have the greatest excuse to be celebrated from a Theist point of view. After all, if any one Religion was true then such days would celebrate something truly incredible to humanity. They are also the only real Holidays, as the name of such days would suggest.
However, from an Atheist point of view, I agree they are probably the worst. The yearly celebration of fictional events is not a very inspirational notion.
I actually don't think 95% of the people who celebrate paddys day give a crap its paddys day or what the hell its about.

They just have another reason to get drunk, party harder and enjoy life :smile:

Tonights just a night where everyone I know is out xD So should be good
Reply 3162
Yeah, but you drink Guinness rather than anything else
ste0731
I actually don't think 95% of the people who celebrate paddys day give a crap its paddys day or what the hell its about.

They just have another reason to get drunk, party harder and enjoy life :smile:

Tonights just a night where everyone I know is out xD So should be good

Everyone who is a idiot(well, a large amount of drinking will turn most people into idiots).

But, lol my flatmate and everyone I know except the person who isn't going to fail is going out. Its like stay home and revise.
Simplicity
Christmas I think is the worst.

See you don't even make a profit of some kind. Because you have to buy other presents and when you get older and if you have kids they would be wanting stuff for christmas(even, then you could probably logically pick the present you want best, so its ends up as a exchange of money at the end or gift voucher i.e. worst thing ever). Also, you get stupid christians claiming this is the day jesus(who probably didn't exist) was born, yet there is no evidence at all for that(however, who lets evidence get in the way of blind faith).

Lolz, not really the point. It's not about the actual birth/date that happened, more a celebration that humanity was saved from eternal damnation etcetcetc.

Why would you not celebrate birthdays? They're just fun, and I love celebrating other people's birthdays too, especially boyfriends'.
Once you've been away from home for a few years, you start to realise that Christmas is basically an excuse for various far flung siblings to come back and live as a family for a few days- which doesn't happen very often.

That, and drinking lots of stout and eating mince pies.
assmaster
Lolz, not really the point. It's not about the actual birth/date that happened, more a celebration that humanity was saved from eternal damnation etcetcetc.

Why would you not celebrate birthdays? They're just fun, and I love celebrating other people's birthdays too, especially boyfriends'.

Hmmm, yeah but did he. I don't know hmmm, maybe watching too much spider man, but hmm I think people taking responicibility for action would lead to paradise or something better than this, not god. No god, no kings only man(Andrew Ryan).

I don't like celebrating birthdays. To be honest, at uni I'm not really going to tell anyone my birthday. As hmm I wouldn't stand flatmates singing happy birthday or something like that.

P.S. For people who can't say I can play poker on this forum i.e. ste.

Something crazy just happen. I won £15 from having 23 offsuite against a very strong hand probably group 1.

Basically, someone made a strong raise at beginning, hmm so being sherlock holmes assume a A combo(note, not AA) or JJ, TT, KK or QQ.

I had only 23 off suite, the worst hand ever. I was debating whether to call this. But, hmm I thought something crazy might happen, also I sort of like to see every flop.

then A23.

I thought yes.

Then, hmm I betted like £1, to test him. So he called(then 8 appeared), then betted £6 so called(5 appeared), then finally £8(I was thinking stronger, however I wanted him to re raise me all in or atleast bet another £7).

Then won. So lol £15 from the worst card ever, and he probably had a A.

P.P.S. I feel smug as hell and yeah that made my day. I'm lucky as hell. To be honest, after the 23 flop I knew I won, so it wasen't that lucky. But, hmm lol lucky as hell to flop 23, although there is someone right now who is probably depressed as he lost a lot of his money to a 23(maximum for the table was £20). So now, from the past 2 days I have £50 in poker. And hmm, according to someone I'm bad at poker.

P.P.P.S. Just made £20 in half an hour. Had crazy luck.
Reply 3167
Simplicity
I had only 23 off suite, the worst hand ever.

Not really.
BJack
Not really.

Yeah, its not really the worst hand. But, its group is poor. Hmmm I don't know what you could win. I guess you could get a straight or maybe, three of a kind, two pairs or quads. But, stuff like flushes and hmm, if someone hits another pair then you are dead. I suppose you could hit a full house.

Against a A combo, or group 1 its poor.
SimonM
Yeah, but you drink Guinness rather than anything else

that stuff is piss any day of the year.

i drank mostly coke today. vodka and coke to start with but then at 8 i was like **** this and got 2 six-packs of coke in tesco. it's so pure and lovely. i feel so young now. im gonna stay up and listen to chart music from when i was 12 and then go to my 9am lecture. i wonder who shows up to a 9am lecture the morning after paddys day. maybe i'll be surprised.
Simplicity
The problem with that is induction

Its okay to study 1 hour and (If you study x amount, then studying x+10secs amount is better). Therefore you should study all the time.

You seem to lack a decent grounding in reality.
So badly drunk last night, my mates didnt even go in same club as me, I have no memory of the night but spent 3hours in there talking to someone or dancing somewhere.... absolutely no memory, so bad :frown:

well lucky I got home safe, some girls wanted to ring an ambulance for me but i wouldn't let them incase my mum was in it (she works in a hospital not an ambulance xD) rofl.

Simplicity

Basically, someone made a strong raise at beginning, hmm so being sherlock holmes assume a A combo(note, not AA) or JJ, TT, KK or QQ.

I had only 23 off suite, the worst hand ever. I was debating whether to call this. But, hmm I thought something crazy might happen, also I sort of like to see every flop.

P.P.S. I feel smug as hell and yeah that made my day. I'm lucky as hell. To be honest, after the 23 flop I knew I won, so it wasen't that lucky. But, hmm lol lucky as hell to flop 23, although there is someone right now who is probably depressed as he lost a lot of his money to a 23(maximum for the table was £20). So now, from the past 2 days I have £50 in poker. And hmm, according to someone I'm bad at poker.

Well done on turning £67 into £3 :smile: be pro soon!

And 23 isn't the worst hand ever, 27 is, as I said your way of playing will never work in the longrun.
I am going to be the Head of Programming & Scheduling at Purple Radio next year! Exec people are so cool :cool:
Reply 3173
assmaster
I am going to be the Head of Programming & Scheduling at Purple Radio next year! Exec people are so cool

Well done :smile:
v-zero
Well done :smile:

Ahahahaha, someone just said "assmaster play wu-tang clan 24/7"
I'm tempted.
That reminds me, I applied for maths society president on wednesday! :biggrin:

Lets see if i get it :smile:
Reply 3176
This seems the best place to ask, I think. We'll see. Can anyone help me with my notes. Analysis 1, lecture 10, proof of the chain rule. What I have here about ϵf(a),ϵg(f(a))\epsilon_f (a), \epsilon_g (f(a)) just doesn't seem to make any sense. Can anyone give me what they have?

EDIT: It's right after he says "Now we need to prove that limxaσ(x)=0lim_{x\to a}\sigma(x)=0"
My Alt
This seems the best place to ask, I think. We'll see. Can anyone help me with my notes. Analysis 1, lecture 10, proof of the chain rule. What I have here about ϵf(a),ϵg(f(a))\epsilon_f (a), \epsilon_g (f(a)) just doesn't seem to make any sense. Can anyone give me what they have?

EDIT: It's right after he says "Now we need to prove that limxaσ(x)=0lim_{x\to a}\sigma(x)=0"

I have (I think, my handwriting is not exactly the best...): Define ϵf(a)=0,ϵg(f(a))=0\epsilon_f (a)=0, \epsilon_g (f(a))=0, then ϵf\epsilon_f and ϵg\epsilon_g continuous at a, f(a) respectively, therefore σ\sigma is continuous at a (because it is the product, sum and composition of continuous functions), so limxaσ(x)=σ(a)=0 lim_{x\to a}\sigma (x)= \sigma (a) = 0 \ \Box
Reply 3178
sonofdot
I have (I think, my handwriting is not exactly the best...): Define ϵf(a)=0,ϵg(f(a))=0\epsilon_f (a)=0, \epsilon_g (f(a))=0, then ϵf\epsilon_f and ϵg\epsilon_g continuous at a, f(a) respectively, therefore σ\sigma is continuous at a (because it is the product, sum and composition of continuous functions), so limxaσ(x)=σ(a)=0 lim_{x\to a}\sigma (x)= \sigma (a) = 0 \ \Box

Yeah, that makes sense. Cheers :smile:
Reply 3179
are you guys good at mental arithmetic?

Quick Reply

Latest