The Student Room Group

Maths Uni Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3280
I can't do any work till the maths undergrad room is vacated at 9:30. What a shame :colone:
Reply 3281
Bloody Probability final today was a massive joke. Three questions in the paper with mistakes in them that the invigilators didn't notice until ten minutes before the end. So, I wasted half an hour trying to prove something impossible, whilst the answer I had derived within five minutes was correct.
Another gem was to find the variance of a distribution for which the expectation of X^2 tended to infinity, whilst the expectation of X did not.
Reply 3282
can some1 help me out i have foudn thsi question on differential eqn solving but do not know how to solve it

the term a is just a constant

pm me if you like
Hathlan
I can't do any work till the maths undergrad room is vacated at 9:30. What a shame :colone:

It sucks that I can't return for another 12 days. How busy is it there?
Reply 3284
TheTallOne
It sucks that I can't return for another 12 days. How busy is it there?

Come back, you can sleep in my spare room :colone:

Busy? Quite. There's four people in the pc room (err...wasn't I going to do work sometime?) right now.
v-zero
Bloody Probability final today was a massive joke. Three questions in the paper with mistakes in them that the invigilators didn't notice until ten minutes before the end. So, I wasted half an hour trying to prove something impossible, whilst the answer I had derived within five minutes was correct.
Another gem was to find the variance of a distribution for which the expectation of X^2 tended to infinity, whilst the expectation of X did not.

That is so funny. So harsh. You did do everything else correct?

The funny thing is if you do get the anwser they want it because you are dumb.

About X^2. Hmm, I can't visualize it, however I guess it is possible. Yeah, that is possible. Lol, weird. Would like to see question and anwser.

I'm surprised you guys haven't started revision. I know people at LSE doing 6 hours a day, camping in the library (it's open 24 hours), etc. Our exams start 18th May and finish 25th May though.

I've done very little compared with most people, but it's getting there. I hate stats and economics and abstract maths and calculus

I don't know people study in library, it seems the worst place to do it. Espically, since you can't really get decent food and stuff, also its noisy.

Just think of all the money you will make when you finish.
Reply 3286
Simplicity
x

Tell me some jokes, please.
Reply 3287
Simplicity
That is so funny. So harsh. You did do everything else correct?

The funny thing is if you do get the anwser they want it because you are dumb.

About X^2. Hmm, I can't visualize it, however I guess it is possible. Yeah, that is possible. Lol, weird. Would like to see question and anwser.

The vast majority of my answers should be correct, though I'm sick of finding moment generating functions.
The question was on a distribution with density function 2x^-3, x > 1....
My answers for that question are all correct, but I think the examiner meant to set it as 2x^-4... Idiot.
Reply 3288
v-zero
The vast majority of my answers should be correct, though I'm sick of finding moment generating functions.
My answers for that question are all correct, but I think the examiner meant to set it as 2x^-4... Idiot.

You seem rather annoyed :colone:

What'll happen with the dodgy questions? Will they be marked?
Reply 3289
Hathlan
You seem rather annoyed :colone:

What'll happen with the dodgy questions? Will they be marked?

I'm told they'll be 'scrubbed', and the paper will be moderated up.

I was furious at the time, I asked to lodge a complaint as soon as the exam was over. I'm not so furious now.
Simplicity
I don't know people study in library, it seems the worst place to do it. Espically, since you can't really get decent food and stuff, also its noisy.

Just think of all the money you will make when you finish.

Silent study areas are the bomb. You actually work solidly for hours on end without any distraction.
v-zero

Yeah, I noticed that. It was bad enough having the invigilator read out the correction twice, and then the other invigilator read it out twice again to the distraction of the whole room whilst we were trying to concentrate without it actually applying to our own exams!
Hathlan
Tell me some jokes, please.

Three jews walk into a bar..

Spoiler

Read other thread you posted in, funny.

v-zero

Can't remeber how to do them or think coherently. Stats is horrible. Its
probably not even useful.

TheTallOne

Silent study areas are the bomb. You actually work solidly for hours on end without any distraction.

Probably. why can't you just study in your room. Also, distractions. Can't you just control yourself? so you aren't distracted.
Reply 3293
majikthise
Yeah, I noticed that. It was bad enough having the invigilator read out the correction twice, and then the other invigilator read it out twice again to the distraction of the whole room whilst we were trying to concentrate without it actually applying to our own exams!

I was not impressed, David Leslie is a cocky **** too, explaining that he likes to make those papers 'hard'... Well guess what David, you made some of the questions not just hard, but impossible. :rolleyes:
Reply 3294
Simplicity
Three jews walk into a bar..

Spoiler

Read other thread you posted in, funny.

Hahahaah, I love you :suith:

Which other thread? The one where I get angry at that 15 year old with "an IQ of 152" who could "read Shakespeare at 5" and they call me a cumdumpster? :h:
Reply 3295
Hathlan
Hahahaah, I love you :suith:

Which other thread? The one where I get angry at that 15 year old with "an IQ of 152" who could "read Shakespeare at 5" and they call me a cumdumpster? :h:

Isn't cumdumpster a compliment?:sexface:

In other news, no revision yet these holidays, and 7 pints in tonight. Go me...
Reply 3296
Slumpy
Isn't cumdumpster a compliment?:sexface:

In other news, no revision yet these holidays, and 7 pints in tonight. Go me...

I know what you Cambridge boys mean by "no revision". It's what people up here call "slogging our guts out". :colonhash:
Reply 3297
Hathlan
I know what you Cambridge boys mean by "no revision". It's what people up here call "slogging our guts out". :colonhash:

I'll have you know what I mean is pokemon heartgold:colonhash:
Also, this is taking me effort to reply to coherently, I hope you appreciate the effort!
Reply 3298
Slumpy
I'll have you know what I mean is pokemon heartgold:colonhash:
Also, this is taking me effort to reply to coherently, I hope you appreciate the effort!

I want that game. :frown:
Reply 3299
v-zero
I want that game. :frown:

Buy it.
Buuuy iiiittt!!

I took my pokewalker to the pub today.
Together with my 'gun show' t-shirt...

Edit-Clearly I meant gun show, not gun shirt...so much for internet sobriety...

Quick Reply

Latest