The Student Room Group

Maths Uni Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3440
majikthise
Fairly common type of olive (my favourite)- apparently they have a "smooth and meatlike taste".

I'm going to bed now, before I embarrass myself all over the internet due to being drunk.

Well, I shall endeavour to try the sandwich suggested.
Nah, you should definitely embarrass yourself all over the internet. Alternatively, someone do my stats for me?
10am Dynamics lecture up cardiac hill. This displeases me.
Filming again tonight!
Reply 3442
assmaster
10am Dynamics lecture up cardiac hill. This displeases me.
Filming again tonight!

"Cardiac hill" I like that a lot.

When will we all get to see you on telly?
Hathlan
"Cardiac hill" I like that a lot.

When will we all get to see you on telly?

Effing lecture wasn't even on, typo said week 20. I got all the way up there in record time too :frown:

You mean get to see part of my arm (or something similar) on TV? I have no idea, filming doesn't finish until Friday so it could be ages. I will be telling everyone when I know though (a lot).
I hope the guy does something better with my hair today, last time he said "your hair has a nice wave to it, we'll just leave it". My friend got a proper beehive do, and false eyelashes and errrrything! I mean, I know we're meant to look like hippies but they didn't have to leave me to skeff out... Still, it's easy money.
Reply 3444
I do not like Cardiac Hill :indiff:
Is there such a field called quantum analysis? As yeah, when I'm older I be like hey I'm a quantum analyst and then everyone would be like you are so smart. :cool:
Simplicity
Is there such a field called quantum analysis? As yeah, when I'm older I be like hey I'm a quantum analyst and then everyone would be like you are so smart. :cool:

Then they'll talk to you a bit more and you'll get the orders of words the wrong way around and they'll ask where you're from and you'll say England and then they'll be like "Yeh he's a spak".

+ you're basically black so people will have already prejudged you by the time you get to talk to them.
I only just finished filming, it was in a pub and I have never worn so much make up in my life.
9am tomorrow, fml.
Reply 3448
Has anyone encountered a past paper question on the Gram-Schmidt process?
My Alt

I take it this is a Cambridge specific question?

(In the event that it is not - yes I have)
My Alt

http://www.campus.manchester.ac.uk/ssc/pastpapers/2007/Sem%202/MATH%20May%2007/MATH10202.pdf

A4-b.
Reply 3451
If you get that in an exam I'd strongly suggest taking the "or otherwise" option.
Reply 3452
How many of the Warwick people are taking number theory this year???
Reply 3453
turgon
How many of the Warwick people are taking number theory this year???

I just dropped it the other day. I haven't done enough work (I spent the holidays sleeping mostly :indiff:) so I thought I could do without the pressure. Stephen isn't doing it, loads of people aren't. I think I know only one guy who is. Oh, plus the two in my experimental maths group. So that's three out of quite a lot of people. Most folks leave it till next year for the extra CATs.

Why?
Reply 3454
My Alt

There seems to be quite a lot of material covered in lectures that I haven't seen in any past papers, although its possible that things like Gram-Schmidt were added to the syllabus recently.
Reply 3455
Hathlan
I just dropped it the other day. I haven't done enough work (I spent the holidays sleeping mostly :indiff:) so I thought I could do without the pressure. Stephen isn't doing it, loads of people aren't. I think I know only one guy who is. Oh, plus the two in my experimental maths group. So that's three out of quite a lot of people. Most folks leave it till next year for the extra CATs.

Why?

I just thought a lot more first years would be doing it...there might have been around 20-30 faces I recognised in the lecture today..
I don't know whats hard about the gram schmidt. Pretty simple and all you need for the proof is to dot it with x_1, also induction.
Mark13
There seems to be quite a lot of material covered in lectures that I haven't seen in any past papers, although its possible that things like Gram-Schmidt were added to the syllabus recently.

At Warwick people pray twice a day upto 14 nights before the Algebra exam for a Gram-Schmidt question to come up.
Reply 3458
Our Gram-Schmidt questions are really easy - you're just given some vectors and are asked to come up with an orthonormal basis. No proofs, explanations or anything.
Swayum
Our Gram-Schmidt questions are really easy - you're just given some vectors and are asked to come up with an orthonormal basis. No proofs, explanations or anything.

The proof isn't even that hard, weird they didn't give it.

On that if I was in charge of a first year linear algebra test, half of the marks would be on proving the spectral theorem. Yet, I would only give one lecture on the spectral theorem and not give any details or even a sketch of the proof.

Quick Reply

Latest