The Student Room Group

Maths Uni Chat

Scroll to see replies

Simplicity

If I remeber Edner saying his algebraic topology class has four people doing it.

That was me (although it may be the case for Edner as well), and they were some of the best lectures I've had.

Don't get in the habit of missing lectures, it doesn't end well.
Simplicity
(there is a x on top of arrow, don't know how to latex that)

\overset{x}{\rightarrow} :cool:

x\overset{x}{\rightarrow}
majikthise
That was me (although it may be the case for Edner as well), and they were some of the best lectures I've had.

Don't get in the habit of missing lectures, it doesn't end well.

Dammit, my memory is crap.

I would go to a lecture if there was like less than 20 people, but like mass lectures its too slow and everyone talks. Its annoying.

ste0731
\overset{x}{\rightarrow}

How did you know that? can't find a decent link to a latex page.
Simplicity
Dammit, my memory is crap.

I would go to a lecture if there was like less than 20 people, but like mass lectures its too slow and everyone talks. Its annoying.

How did you know that? can't find a decent link to a latex page.

http://www.codecogs.com/latex/eqneditor.php
Lol, I finally making progress in the category theory book I have.

Although, I'm probably going to have a big burn out tomorrow as yeah, like been reading it all day and lol reading it now in at a very slow pace and back at the beginning page 21.

P.S. But, yeah how does one stop burning out?
P.P.S. I should focus more on work that I will be tested on, but lol grades aren't that improtant.
Reply 3485
God I love Crystal Castles (II) so much.
Reply 3486
As much as I love Metric and Topological spaces, the notation could be better:

uU{u}\displaystyle\cup_{u \in U} \{u\} is a little confusing.
around

Failing to see how any confusion could arise.
Reply 3488
You mean U=uU{u}U = \bigcup_{u\in U} \{u\}
Reply 3489
My Alt
You mean U=uU{u}U = \bigcup_{u\in U} \{u\}

U={U=uU{u}UU}\mathcal{U} = \left\{U = \bigcup_{u\in U} \{u\}\,|\,U \in \mathcal{U} \right\} ?
Reply 3490
lolcow
Reply 3491
.matt
U={U=uU{u}UU}\mathcal{U} = \left\{U = \bigcup_{u\in U} \{u\}\,|\,U \in \mathcal{U} \right\} ?

I haven't really got a clue what you guys are on about but surely this definition of a set doesn't really make sense?
Reply 3492
Swayum
I haven't really got a clue what you guys are on about but surely this definition of a set doesn't really make sense?

More of a tautology than a definition tbh...but yeah :p:
Reply 3493
Maths is so ****** up. It's a complete lie. P(X=x)=0 for all x, yet P of the whole set is 1. Who makes this stuff up?
Reply 3494
My Alt
Maths is so ****** up. It's a complete lie. P(X=x)=0 for all x, yet P of the whole set is 1. Who makes this stuff up?

Makes sense to me...
Reply 3495
v-zero
Makes sense to me...

Be serious. You can't seriously think you can take lots of 0 put it together and get 1. It's a complete paradox.
My Alt
Be serious. You can't seriously think you can take lots of 0 put it together and get 1. It's a complete paradox.

And the alternative (adding a strictly positive number to itself infinitely many times and getting 1) is any less paradoxical?

It makes perfect sense to me.
Reply 3497
My Alt

It's not lots of zero. All you're saying is: 'You can't take a continuous sum, that's a paradox'. It's not a paradox, it's just another case of taking limits.
around

That looks like perfectly valid notation to me, can you think of something better?

.matt

More of a tautology than a definition tbh...but yeah

That is a tautology. 174 pages tautology free then this.

P.S. Has anyone got a decent example of something being paradoxical in maths. If there where only a countably many infinite sets that might be weird, however I don't think there is or maybe there isn't even one infinite set.
Reply 3499
My Alt

keep on trollin trollin trollin

Quick Reply

Latest