The Student Room Group

Maths Uni Chat

Scroll to see replies

The countdown ep of IT was hilarious, it kinda got me more focus on playing countdown.

What Mathematics topics is everyone looking up on before starting year 2?
Reply 4561

Linear algebra, algebra in general, geometry.
Learning probability, dynamics/relativity and group theory for the first time. Whoops.
Pure maths and analysis don't really bother me. So ignoring it, espically analysis. Saying that in a month I might start reading up on complex analysis and stuff like proof of intermiediate theorem e.t.c.

But, on that. I've been trying to learn PDEs and QM. Both are sort of gay. Like a book on PDEs that is recommend text first chapter goes on about naive stroke equations, its like if the prize money is a million pounds to solve it, am I meant to understand it or something?

Also, the QM book is even worse. Its like they pull out a random equations and say here. Its like can you show me how you derived it, which is gay because they use pictures instead of arguments. A picture isn't a mathematical proof.

Like one of the question is this

Assume that an electron is located somewhere within a region of atomic size. Estimate the minimum uncertainty in its momentum. By assuming that this uncertainty is comparable with its average momentum, estimate the average kinetic energy of the electron.

Yeah, don't even really know where to start with this. Well, I do i.e. looking in the back of the book for anwsers.
Reply 4564
I think maybe if you want proofs QM isn't the best place to be looking.

I think the Navier-Stokes equations are given as an example of how certain PDEs can be easy to state but very hard to solve; and, for certain initial conditions, solutions to NS are possible to be found in closed form.
Reply 4565
TheNihilist
The countdown ep of IT was hilarious, it kinda got me more focus on playing countdown.

What Mathematics topics is everyone looking up on before starting year 2?

Oblivion, Borderlands, The Qemists. Should be sorted when Year 2 comes round :smile:
Calculus and Applications A 40%

That's a way to pass in style! :biggrin:

"The facebook group, 41% means I've worked too hard" is far too true to me regarding that subject :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Overall mark 55%. Not bad :biggrin: Now it makes my decision difficult whetehr to stay a second year or not.....
Lol, got 66%, which is good seeing as I failed a unit and didn't really do homework and didn't really turn up to lectures.

But, I think I may get forced to resist a test worth 25%. If that happens I probably will get thrown out as I can't do that test as its too stupid. Plus, I suck at stats.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pidokakU4I
This is really funny. Plus its true.
Reply 4569
Simplicity

Yup, you go out and make music that doesn't work like that :smile: I suppose that's why youthy types try to find less mainstream music.
Reply 4570
That reminds me a lot of Truly Medley Deeply.
Simplicity

Awesome vid! :biggrin:
around
Truly Medley Deeply.

:love:
Simplicity

Awesome, also reminded me of this
Simplicity
Lol, got 66%, which is good seeing as I failed a unit and didn't really do homework and didn't really turn up to lectures.

But, I think I may get forced to resist a test worth 25%. If that happens I probably will get thrown out as I can't do that test as its too stupid. Plus, I suck at stats.

How did you fail workshop and still get 66?!

Well done none the less, I got 68% overall, pretty happy, although my sequences and series test was a little lower than expected... What did you 2 manc guys get in S&S?
ChrisKing
How did you fail workshop and still get 66?!

Well done none the less, I got 68% overall, pretty happy, although my sequences and series test was a little lower than expected... What did you 2 manc guys get in S&S?

90% in S&S. I should have got 100%, the people who mark it are gay.

To be fair, I did no workshop at all. Its gay.

P.S. Anyway, first year is worth nothing. I plan to go to all lectures and do all the homework and stuff, plus actually study.
Reply 4575
Results coming out Wednesday next week here...
Simplicity
90% in S&S. I should have got 100%, the people who mark it are gay.

To be fair, I did no workshop at all. Its gay.

P.S. Anyway, first year is worth nothing. I plan to go to all lectures and do all the homework and stuff, plus actually study.

I only got 72 and was kinda hoping for 85+ :frown: gonna email mark coleman tomorrow to see about a remark, theres no way I got 25% of that paper wrong!

I say I will do lots of work but theres not much point in promising cause im very lazy, until next year what on earth do I do with my summer?!
ChrisKing
I only got 72 and was kinda hoping for 85+ :frown: gonna email mark coleman tomorrow to see about a remark, theres no way I got 25% of that paper wrong!

I say I will do lots of work but theres not much point in promising cause im very lazy, until next year what on earth do I do with my summer?!

How much did you get in the 10% inclass test?

To be fair, I think the examineers marked the test harshly, plus I think a lot of people would have got near perfect marks on the test. So the test is probably going to have high grade boundaries.

You can try, but I think they don't remark. I overheard a conversation between Mark Coleman and a crying girl. Basically, the girl was saying she didn't fail sets and function B and she wanted a remark. Mark Coleman said its impossible.

P.S. Its weird how you make plans and then laziness comes in. I hope you are making the most of summer holiday?

Is anyone on here actually making the most of summer holiday? instead of eating, not exercising and playing video games?:frown: I fail.

P.P.S. On second thoughts, the girl wasen't crying, but instead just really angry with a sense that she was right i.e. a normal girl in argument.
Simplicity
Is anyone on here actually making the most of summer holiday? instead of eating, not exercising and playing video games?:frown: I fail.

I think so. I've got a full-time job, 8-4 Mon-Fri and then the rest of the time I am sunbathing, in the cinema, eating icecream, drinking white wine, out with friends or all of the above.
Planning to go on holiday with my new-found wealth but I'm unsure where to go... Any suggestions?

Also it's weird that some people don't have results yet since I got mine about a month ago. I can't imagine finding out next week and only having a month to prepare for the resits.
Reply 4579
assmaster
I can't imagine finding out next week and only having a month to prepare for the resits.

We find out next week and LSE doesn't do September resits...

Quick Reply

Latest