The Student Room Group

Maths Uni Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
Edenr
Dude, you're famous in Durham! All the lecturers are talking about you...

I highly doubt the lectures in Durham spend their time on this forum.

Swayum
Nearly fell asleep in my stats lecture today

Talking about falling asleep, the calculus and vector class would put any insomniac to sleep.

Swayum
There's so much careers stuff going on at LSE next week it's ridiculous! At this rate, I'll be spending more time sending applications than studying...

Wait a minute, I thought the banking fair was two weeks ago.

P.S. The lecturer in sets, numbers and function said something that didn't make any sense at all. Basically, he was trying to define the square root as a function, but noted that taking a square root is multi functional. So he said restrict the codomain to non negative reals and this is meant to solve problem, but it doesn't as the square root function could be taken as the minus instead of plus making it not a function again. Also, I still don't see how making codomain non negative instead of reals would make it be the postive square root as the codomain doesn't need to be a surjection.
P.P.S. Although calculus and vectors person keeps on saying that complex numbers are invented. Which, is annoying. Although, he is a applied mathematician so I guess he would view mathematics different to say a pure mathematician.
Reply 461
Simplicity
I highly doubt the lectures in Durham spend their time on this forum.

Truth, man; they must really love you, everything they do seems to be 'for Simplicity'.
Reply 462
Wow. Hilarious. :indiff:

For the record, I love Simplicity. How I wish I had massive rep power to get you in the green. :daydreaming:

I think you should all rep him. Do it. For me. :puppyeyes:
Reply 463
Edenr
Truth, man; they must really love you, everything they do seems to be 'for Simplicity'.

Thats a pretty cool joke.

I can't seem to be able to make a complex joke out of complex numbers. So looks like I need to make it more complex. :rolleyes:
Reply 464
elsa_89
Wow. Hilarious.

For the record, I love Simplicity. How I wish I had massive rep power to get you in the green.

I think you should all rep him. Do it. For me.

We all feel the same way....

Sometimes, I think y'know, if I'd met Simplicity and assamaster at the same time, that'd have been very difficult for me... :p:
v-zero
We all feel the same way....

Sometimes, I think y'know, if I'd met Simplicity and assamaster at the same time, that'd have been very difficult for me... :p:

It's not hard at all, go mess with Simplicity.
Edenr: I just googled Shazza and found that article. Basically, ahahahahahahaha - that's amazing. Shall I ask next lecture?
And I hope your afternoon was good, I didn't have the fingers to reply to your text 'cause my phone blahblahblah piece of crap blahblahblah you know the story. FYI, I've progressed onto fits of sneezing rather than coughing now, so prepare yourself for this.
Simplicity
P.S. The lecturer in sets, numbers and function said something that didn't make any sense at all. Basically, he was trying to define the square root as a function, but noted that taking a square root is multi functional. So he said restrict the codomain to non negative reals and this is meant to solve problem, but it doesn't as the square root function could be taken as the minus instead of plus making it not a function again. Also, I still don't see how making codomain non negative instead of reals would make it be the postive square root as the codomain doesn't need to be a surjection.

My French calculus lecturer stopped there.
Reply 467
assmaster
Edenr: I just googled Shazza and found that article. Basically, ahahahahahahaha - that's amazing. Shall I ask next lecture?
And I hope your afternoon was good, I didn't have the fingers to reply to your text 'cause my phone blahblahblah piece of crap blahblahblah you know the story. FYI, I've progressed onto fits of sneezing rather than coughing now, so prepare yourself for this.

:shh: That may not be the best idea... I have considered dropping hints about it in the past though :p:

And I can't physically sneeze anyway, so I have nothing to fear.
Reply 468
assmaster

:rolleyes:
Edenr
I can't physically sneeze

Wait, what? :eek:
Reply 470
assmaster
Wait, what? :eek:

I don't think I've sneezed since I was about 11 - I cannot help but hold it in every time I have the exploding tingle.
Reply 471
Edenr
I don't think I've sneezed since I was about 11 - I cannot help but hold it in every time I have the exploding tingle.

But it's such a satisfying feeling... :s-smilie:

Given that I may meet you this weekend, I'm tempted to bring some pepper to Durham to test this claim. However, I'm not sure that would be a particularly good way to introduce myself. :biggrin:
Reply 472
v-zero
But it's such a satisfying feeling... :s-smilie:

Given that I may meet you this weekend, I'm tempted to bring some pepper to Durham to test this claim. However, I'm not sure that would be a particularly good way to introduce myself. :biggrin:

I know, I really am missing out, aren't I? :frown:

I was about to ask you to bring all the pepper you own (how much do you own?) until I just discovered that pepper can cause temporary blindness...
Edenr
pepper can cause temporary blindness...

Man up!
assmaster
Man up!

I really would assume that would be the case if you pour it into your eyes.
Reply 475
Edenr
I know, I really am missing out, aren't I? :frown:

I was about to ask you to bring all the pepper you own (how much do you own?) until I just discovered that pepper can cause temporary blindness...

You really are, though I don't want to rub it in... So, um, no, sneezing is rubbish, I hate it, it is in no way the most satisfying thing a nose can do... :s-smilie:

I am currently in possession of only fifty grams, and this is contained within a 'Whole Black Peppercorn Grinder' from Tesco. However, I could steal some Wills Hall pepper (I'm sure it won't be missed, just like my free mug), which is ground to the finest powder known to man - ideal for inducing sneezes.

On the topic of potential blinding properties, I'm thinking it's more the pepper spray that does this, and pepper spray uses a concentration of pepper far greater than that of the humble table based alternative. Pepper spray has a 'heat' of at least several hundred thousand Scoville Heat Units, far more than table pepper. :yes:
Reply 476
assmaster
Man up!

Oh, go on then. Pepper up.
Reply 477
elsa_89
Wow. Hilarious.

For the record, I love Simplicity. How I wish I had massive rep power to get you in the green.

I think you should all rep him. Do it. For me.
It is my monthly project. Unfortunately it doesn't have the desired effect :sad:
Reply 478
The Muon
It is my monthly project. Unfortunately it doesn't have the desired effect :sad:

Me too.
Hathlan
Me too.

I thought I gave him neg once, but it turns out I haven't. :dontknow:

Sleeping in the Maths Dept again tonight (or do you have t'internet?)

Quick Reply

Latest