The Student Room Group

Maths Uni Chat

Scroll to see replies

A vector is some element of a set (V) that has two functions related to it (+ and .) and + : V^2 -> V and . KxV -> V and K is some structure similar to the real numbers (actually much weaker than that, I have no clue how much group theory they do there but assuming that K is the set of real numbers usually suffices in first year). + and . satisfy some shizzle. You probs know what it is (vector space axioms).

If you take K to be R and V to be the set of all functiondsfrom R to R then the quadruple (V,R,+,.) is a vector space and we class elements from R to R as vectors.

I think this answered your problem though ask once more if it has not and hopefully I can help.
Simplicity

I can understand how vectors can be just a list like (a,b,c,...,z). But, how can it be a function.

You're thinking about it the wrong way round. Instead of thinking of how a vector can be a function, it's better to think of how certain functions can form a vector space (and thus be considered 'vectors').

For instance, linear maps between from a vector space to its scalar field obviously form a vector space (the dual space) because they form an abelian group and a scalar multiplication is defined satisfying the axioms.
BJack
Trains in a fish tank? This won't end well. :erm:

It's abstract... it's whatever the **** I want it to be. :p:
Simplicity

As I'm unclear what a vector is. Its like a point here with an arrow pointing towards it.

That's an example of a vector (or, more specifically, an example of how a vector in a particular vector space is envisaged).

So its something with magnitude and direction,

Not really. 'Magnitude' and 'direction' only really make sense if they're defined. For instance, such concepts make sense for vector spaces like R, or R^n, as we have a sense of what magnitude and direction is in those cases (although, strictly speaking, they're not concepts that are intrinsic to the notion of a vector space or vectors).

What you're asking doesn't actually make much sense. Think for a moment about this analogous question: "What does an element of a group look like?" or, even more basic, "What does an element of a set look like?". The obvious answer is that it depends entirely on what group and what set we're talking about, and we should be prepared to accept that even if we restrict our attention to a particular set or group, the element in question might not 'look' like anything in the intuitive or naive sense.

This is exactly the same as the question you're asking, and suffers the same problems; a vector is simply an element of a vector space. For some vector spaces, a vector will be a function, for others a point in the real plane (in which case we can easily imagine what it looks like).
Reply 4804
Simplicity
What does a vector space look like?

A big box filled with arrows.
how long is a piece of string?
Reply 4806
Edenr
He's not your guy, mate.

I'm not your buddy, guy.
Reply 4807
Dadeyemi
how long is a piece of string?

Your Mum.
Reply 4808
around
A big box filled with arrows.

Pretty much exactly how I imagine it :biggrin:
Reply 4809
BJack

Trains in a fish tank? This won't end well.

What, fish don't deserve a quality transport network? That's fishism...
MrShifty
You're thinking about it the wrong way round. Instead of thinking of how a vector can be a function, it's better to think of how certain functions can form a vector space (and thus be considered 'vectors').

For instance, linear maps between from a vector space to its scalar field obviously form a vector space (the dual space) because they form an abelian group and a scalar multiplication is defined satisfying the axioms.

Yeah, that cleared things up. Its confusing according to wikipedia the vectors we learn in A levels are actually called Euclidean Vectors, so that was probably confusing me. Surely, all vector spaces are isomorphic to some vector space of Euclidean vectors?

Also, is there something called a non euclidean vector and does that form a vector space?

According to wikipedia the addition is the abelain group part. Is a vector space a ring?

P.S. I'm probably never going to use linear algebra again. Looking at later modules of uni just now. But, meah.

P.P.S. How does everyone manage there time studying? As like 90% of my study time is to algebra. Thats why I suck at everything that is non algebraic, even then I'm not even that good at algebra. Its just its so easier to read like a book on abstract algebra as it makes sense, then I try to read a book on say PDEs or analysis and its like arrrghh.
Simplicity
Surely, all vector spaces are isomorphic to some vector space of Euclidean vectors?

Nope. Every vector space over the real numbers is isomorphic to a vector space of Euclidean vectors, because a vector space over the reals of dimension n is isomorphic to R^n (because two vector spaces are isomorphic iff they have the same dimension). However, not every vector space is isomorphic to such a vector space. Remember, the definition of an isomorphism necessitates that both vector spaces are defined over the same field.

If a vector space is defined over a finite field, then it's clearly not isomorphic to R^d for any d (apart from anything else, you can't even define a linear map between the two!).

According to wikipedia the addition is the abelain group part. Is a vector space a ring?

Not necessarily. A ring has multiplication defined for it's elements, whereas a vector space need only have 'scalar multiplication' defined (that is multiplication of its elements by elements from the field over which it's defined).

A field (that is a ring with all the added stucture of a field) can be a vector space defined over itself (i.e. R with the usual multiplication of fields).

P.S. I'm probably never going to use linear algebra again. Looking at later modules of uni just now. But, meah.

I wouldn't bet on it! Linear algebra has a habit of creeping into everything.
v-zero
What, fish don't deserve a quality transport network? That's fishism...

Australian Nazi experiences?
MrShifty
Nope. Every vector space over the real numbers is isomorphic to a vector space of Euclidean vectors, because a vector space over the reals of dimension n is isomorphic to R^n (because two vector spaces are isomorphic iff they have the same dimension). However, not every vector space is isomorphic to such a vector space. Remember, the definition of an isomorphism necessitates that both vector spaces are defined over the same field.

If a vector space is defined over a finite field, then it's clearly not isomorphic to R^d for any d (apart from anything else, you can't even define a linear map between the two!).

Not necessarily. A ring has multiplication defined for it's elements, whereas a vector space need only have 'scalar multiplication' defined (that is multiplication of its elements by elements from the field over which it's defined).

A field (that is a ring with all the added stucture of a field) can be a vector space defined over itself (i.e. R with the usual multiplication of fields).

I wouldn't bet on it! Linear algebra has a habit of creeping into everything.

Huh, hmm I didn't know that. I thought it was the same definition of ismorphism like in group theory. But, instead of the homorphic priniciple instead you have linear map.

You can't? Surely, there is a linear map between vector space of field R and a vector space of field C.

A field defined over itself?(R with the field R is a vector space?)

I remeber you saying you forgot all of linear algebra. Something like that.

My Alt
Pokermon advice

So I'm playing heartgold. Whats the best steal pokermon? I got a Onix but I was wondering how do you turn the Onix into a Steelix. Something about trading it, but surely I would lose the Onix?

Also, what do you think of Ampharos?
Reply 4814
assmaster
Australian Nazi experiences?

Je ne comprends pas.
Simplicity

You can't? Surely, there is a linear map between vector space of field R and a vector space of field C.

Not really. It's not a bad question though! Strictly speaking, linear maps are only defined for vector spaces over the same field, that the basic definition (the proper name of these maps are "F-linear", where F is the field of definition for the two vector spaces.

However, as your example suggests there are occasions when you can get away with defining a linear map between vector spaces over different fields. Unfortunately, that particular example isn't very interesting!

Say V is an R vector space and W a C vector space. The condition that f(ax)=a(fx) in the definition of a linear map means that whilst technically we're mapping an R-space into a C-space, all we're really doing is treating W as a vector space over R (which we can do, because R is a subfield of C) and mapping into that - so after all that we're only really constructing an R-Linear map between two vector spaces over R

A field defined over itself?(R with the field R is a vector space?)

Yeah. As in take the elements of the vector space to be the elements of R, and define scalar multiplication R X R -> R to be ordinary multiplication within R. What you've got is a vector space.

All a vector space over a field F is an abelian group V with a scalar multiplication F X V -> V defined such that the distributive, compatibility and multiplicative unity axioms are satisfied (i.e. all the extra 'junk' in the definition of a vector space).

R is certainly an abelian (additive) group, and the rest of the axioms are immediately satisfied by the properties of a field - so it's a (one dimensional) vector space over itself.

I remeber you saying you forgot all of linear algebra. Something like that.

I did forget a fair bit, but certainly not all - partly because it kept popping up all the time!
Reply 4816
Simplicity
So I'm playing heartgold. Whats the best steal pokermon? I got a Onix but I was wondering how do you turn the Onix into a Steelix. Something about trading it, but surely I would lose the Onix?

Also, what do you think of Ampharos?

Best Steel Pokemon? Scizor without doubt, at least competitively. Metagross, Lucario and Heatran are all pretty beast. But Scizor is the only one oyu can get in HG without trading iirc.

To get Steelix trade Onix to another game whilst holding metal coat. Then trade it back to you once it's evolved. So use your own game or trade with someone you can trust.

Ampharos is k, pretty useful if you're trying to finish the game. I used ampharos in HG when I played it I think.
Going back to Bath tomorrow... won't have internet for a week or two so I won't be posting for a while. Talk to you all soon.
Reply 4818
Hedgeman49
Going back to Bath tomorrow... won't have internet for a week or two so I won't be posting for a while. Talk to you all soon.

I'm very jealous of people going back to uni already :frown:

Still over three weeks for me
Hello! Haven't posted in here before but I switched my degree recently and have decided to embrace maths instead of feeling guilty for liking it :p:

2 weeks til I go back. Can't wait to get stuck into some proper applied stuff :p:

Quick Reply

Latest