The Student Room Group

Maths Uni Chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Simplicity
On questionable maths related textbook. I do know a abstract algebra book that has swearing in every sentence.

Reply 5561
On a possibly unrelated note... does the phrase 'abstract algebra' bother anyone else? Just call it algebra goddamit! Soon enough the objects described within a book bearing such a title will actually appear to be pretty concrete.
Original post by Jake22
On a possibly unrelated note... does the phrase 'abstract algebra' bother anyone else? Just call it algebra goddamit! Soon enough the objects described within a book bearing such a title will actually appear to be pretty concrete.

I don't like a lot of terms: abstract algebra, complex (number), tensor, simplicity.

jkes love you simp
Original post by Jake22

The problem with using the word algebra is that if someone ask you want you do and you say algebra, they might think like this x+3=4. People don't really know the distinction between elementary algebra and algebra.

Also, there is a really good book called concrete abstract algebra.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5564
Original post by Simplicity
People don't really know the distinction between elementary algebra and algebra.

Mathematicians do and if you are speaking to lesser mortals (e.g. non-mathematicians) then inserting the word 'abstract' won't help them make the distinction.
Reply 5565
Original post by QED
does anybody have a possibly suspect source for perhaps questionable maths related textbook pdfs?

freebookspot.in

Go to catalogue - mathematics. Enjoy.
Spent the last two days writing up the entirety of the course notes for my fundamentals of applied module. In my current state i'm imagining vortices as cute little demons (heaven forbid they meet another one and do a little mating dance)
Guys, I'm doing my Maths degree and I seriously can't get my head around my group/graph theory course in my second year. It makes me feel like I've got no chance in hell completing this degree, even though it seems I'm competent with mechanics/vector analysis/fluid dynamics.

I guess I'm asking two questions. Firstly, can someone reassure me that even though I find some modules difficult I'll still make it through? Damn those one or two people who can do everything easily. :frown:

Also, I'm really crap at Physics - got a C at GCSE (probably due to my teachers, they sucked) - but there's an electromagnetism course next year and I'm thinking about taking it, as well as Fluid Dynamics (which I'm sure I'll be alright at) and Aerodynamics and Geophysical Fluid Dynamics, despite never having done mechanics at A-Level - self taught M1, though, and did the first year Mechanics module. Am I being stupid? Should I be doing Electromagnetism, and how much physics is involved in it?
Original post by wanderlust.xx
Guys, I'm doing my Maths degree and I seriously can't get my head around my group/graph theory course in my second year. It makes me feel like I've got no chance in hell completing this degree, even though it seems I'm competent with mechanics/vector analysis/fluid dynamics.

I guess I'm asking two questions. Firstly, can someone reassure me that even though I find some modules difficult I'll still make it through? Damn those one or two people who can do everything easily. :frown:

Also, I'm really crap at Physics - got a C at GCSE (probably due to my teachers, they sucked) - but there's an electromagnetism course next year and I'm thinking about taking it, as well as Fluid Dynamics (which I'm sure I'll be alright at) and Aerodynamics and Geophysical Fluid Dynamics, despite never having done mechanics at A-Level - self taught M1, though, and did the first year Mechanics module. Am I being stupid? Should I be doing Electromagnetism, and how much physics is involved in it?

I think the best thing at the moment is not to worry. Focus on this year, work hard on the groups course (something I also find difficult), and see how you do with that. Then you have a summer break which if you are still concerned, you could do studying over, and be in a strong position for the 3rd year.
Completely normal to suck at at least one course.
Reply 5570
Completely normal to suck at several. It's a downward spiral I find: If I dislike something I'll be bad at it have no motivation to learn or pay attention or try so it gets worse.
Original post by ForGreatJustice
I think the best thing at the moment is not to worry. Focus on this year, work hard on the groups course (something I also find difficult), and see how you do with that. Then you have a summer break which if you are still concerned, you could do studying over, and be in a strong position for the 3rd year.

I suppose that's viable. I'd allocated this week to revise group theory but I've done none of it. Just can't find motivation to start. My entire course hates our lecturer, the content, the way he taught, the worksheets, the fact that he didn't give model solutions, everything!

It seems as though the most gifted (ie, the ones able to learn directly from advanced books) will be doing well in this course. Our uni's scrapping the course this year, too, so it's just our year that gets the brunt of it.

Original post by Gesar
Completely normal to suck at several. It's a downward spiral I find: If I dislike something I'll be bad at it have no motivation to learn or pay attention or try so it gets worse.

Exactly the case with me, although I really, really wanted to get ahead of my work so revision in the summer would be easier. Oh well, I suppose I'll do the other two and pray this one'll come to me later.
Merry christmas guys!
Reply 5573
Original post by wanderlust.xx

Electromagnetism is far and away the hardest part of classical physics, in fact it's probably more difficult than almost any other field of physics. It's very mathematical, yet also conceptually challenging.
Reply 5574
Merry Christmas. Also, I've just broken 8k posts. That's somewhat worrying.
Reply 5575
Yes, Merry Christmas Mathmo's. May your families form groups under inebriation.
Reply 5576
After breaking a few dozen posts I decided not to drive into any more fences.

(One for those deprived of crackers.)
Merry Christmaths
Original post by v-zero
Electromagnetism is far and away the hardest part of classical physics, in fact it's probably more difficult than almost any other field of physics. It's very mathematical, yet also conceptually challenging.

Why do you think this? I'm not certain what I think but ordinary mechanics can get pretty tricky surely?
Reply 5579
Original post by Meteorshower
Why do you think this? I'm not certain what I think but ordinary mechanics can get pretty tricky surely?

I just find that the classical notions of electric and magnetic fields are very abstract, and that I find is the difference between easy physics and difficult physics. It's the concepts.
Having said that I do agree that ye olde classical mechanics can be as hard as nails when it wants to be, it just tends to feel less abstract, and thus more comfortable.

I don't have a personal problem with any particular area of physics, I was merely pointing towards what I thought was probably my most taxing area of study.

Quick Reply