The Student Room Group

Maths Uni Chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mastermind2
I've just completed first year at warwick, and we never got given any solutions. Maybe it's different for second years.

I don't remember having any in first year either... But I had some for algebra I and II and analysis III and some optional modules too, but you can check, they're probably still online and I would download them now if you'd consider taking the module next year.
Reply 7921
Does anyone want to start some new maths over the summer? I feel that if I had someone to discuss questions with then it might better motivate me. Some examples of things I want to learn are Complex Analysis, Functional Analysis, Measure Theory, Manifolds and PDEs. All at an introductory level.
Original post by fGDu
Does anyone want to start some new maths over the summer? I feel that if I had someone to discuss questions with then it might better motivate me. Some examples of things I want to learn are Complex Analysis, Functional Analysis, Measure Theory, Manifolds and PDEs. All at an introductory level.

Measure Theory is awesome and, in my opinion, one of the nicer things to self-teach out of that list. Personally I'm looking at Banach and Hilbert spaces over the summer (as well as Galois theory)
Reply 7923
Original post by Noble.
Measure Theory is awesome and, in my opinion, one of the nicer things to self-teach out of that list. Personally I'm looking at Banach and Hilbert spaces over the summer (as well as Galois theory)

Cool. I think that Banach and Hilbert spaces are introduced in Warwick's functional analysis 1 course. I actually did my second year essay on Daniell Integration which is a different formulation of Lebesgue integration, so I know a little bit about measure theory. Is there a particular textbook that you would recommend?
Original post by fGDu
Cool. I think that Banach and Hilbert spaces are introduced in Warwick's functional analysis 1 course. I actually did my second year essay on Daniell Integration which is a different formulation of Lebesgue integration, so I know a little bit about measure theory. Is there a particular textbook that you would recommend?

Unfortunately I can't recommend a good text-book, I learnt Measure Theory through doing a Lebesgue integration course, and the recommended textbook for that is done in a Lebesgue integration setting (to be honest, I found the application of Measure Theory to integration through Lebesgue pretty boring - but loved the Measure Theory). I'd also be interested to know if anyone has any recommendations for a book purely on MT.
Reply 7925
Original post by Noble.
Unfortunately I can't recommend a good text-book, I learnt Measure Theory through doing a Lebesgue integration course, and the recommended textbook for that is done in a Lebesgue integration setting (to be honest, I found the application of Measure Theory to integration through Lebesgue pretty boring - but loved the Measure Theory). I'd also be interested to know if anyone has any recommendations for a book purely on MT.

Yes I think our course is also mostly based on Lebesgue integration. What are some other directions that you can take Measure Theory in?
Reply 7926
Original post by fGDu
Yes I think our course is also mostly based on Lebesgue integration. What are some other directions that you can take Measure Theory in?

Just to say, I'm looking to learn some Measure Theory over the summer and I found the textbooks I was looking to be a bit naff so I just downloaded my University's most recent lecture notes of our third year course. If you want the notes just PM me and I'll send you a link.

Our course is called "Probability and Measure Theory" though so the focus seems a bit different to your course. The notes are good though, and there's a fair bit of Lebesgue integration in it anyway.
Original post by mmms95
Hi sorry to come out of no where here, I just wanted to ask a few questions about studying maths at uni, basically I just finished my A Levels and I've already firmed and insured my choice for uni to study maths but I've just been having a few concerns. I haven't studied further maths and I was going to go over a few modules over the summer (for my own benefit) but due to some family problems I couldn't, and now I'm really worried that starting my degree will be really difficult and stressful (is a maths degree really as difficult as people say?)

So I'm thinking of taking a gap year to study further maths and reapply but I'm not sure if maths admission tutors will like it since apparently if you're apply for maths you're not supposed to take a gap year? I don't know I just read that in a few places and now it's worrying me ahah. What do you think though? If I'm doing further maths will it benefit me and put me at a better position when reapplying and when starting my degree? (I was also pretty limited in my uni choice due to lack of FM)

Also I'm an international student and taking a gap year is just very strange to me ahah, not something I'm very used to at all, I don't know of anyone in my school who took a gap year before so I'd really appreciate if anyone could let me knw if they took a maths gap year! Thanks in advance, any advice would be much appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'll be completely fine, don't worry. Most of your modules will be entirely different to anything you've done before and you'll probably have one module aimed at giving everybody the same starting point anyway.
Original post by mmms95
Really?? It's just that I've heard so much about how difficult it is. Also, the other reason I'm considering g a gap year is because I've been having some health problems and was hospitalised twice recently and need time to recover, so I though maybe the gap year and FM would help my application when reapplying? Also I would have more choices and tbh I'm not 100% happy with my firm choice soooo I'm just in two minds here atm :/

It's hard at first but you adapt. If you have health problems while at university they will make necessary provisions, which may even mean taking the rest of the year off and starting again the next year. In such a case, the time you spent at university would be far better than what you would have done learning further maths on your own instead.

Secondly, it may be possible to transfer universities at the end of your first year. But if you'd want to go to a better uni, you'd have to get very good grades in your first year. I will say however you do want to be pretty 100% on your university choice, it's where you're going to be spending at least 3 years of your life.

You're like me, you feel like you need a, b and c before you can do d but really it's just best to get stuck in is what I've found. So you might be just trying to convince yourself that you need a year out because you're not ready yet, but if your course doesn't require a further maths A-level then you're as ready as you need to be.
I think I finally get fourier analysis! :woo:
Reply 7930
Original post by mmms95
If I'm going to be honest, I'm not such a bad student and my grades are pretty decent, I just felt that the lack of FM really held me back in terms of what courses I could apply to and what offers I got. Also, I was really just going to settle with my firm and everything but then I started having health problems and really re-thought my decision and thought a gap year might be for the best? Idk, I just feel like I could've done better, and if I took up FM this year and reapplied maybe I could get into a better uni. Also I'd rather not have any health problems during the first year (even if it means taking the rest of the year off -I just feel like it'd be a waste you know).

The poster replying to you has made some good points and you should be wary of just having cold feet before starting University (probably is quite a common thing if you've had issues like yourself). -However-, with the amount of money students, both home and international, pay for University in this country, and I am of the opinion that if you are this underwhelmed by your first choice, then maybe taking a year out to let your health problems clear up and applying to other Universities you would be happier with that require further maths wouldn't be the worst option.

To be honest it's a pretty personal decision and so when I say what I say it's just conjecture because really it's a decision that you need to make having done some research on your own.

Just to get a better idea; what Uni is your firm, and why are you so on the fence with it? Also where would you be looking to apply next year if you did take a year out?
Hello guys. I'm in Year 12 and going into Year 13.

I have an entire year left before beginning University, and the truth is, I am getting impatient. I really want to get started on University level Maths as it just fascinates me, and I can't think of any reason not to begin.

Anyway I've begun with the two books "Linear Algebra Done Right" and "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" and am reading them concurrently.
I have so far got through the first chapter of each, and after attempting the problems at the end I feel fairly confident, although these two chapters are of course introductory.

I am being as rigorous as possible and have been attempting to prove many of the theorems/propositions I have come across. Though this approach takes time, I do not want to learn analysis/algebra "the wrong way" as they are pretty much the fundamentals of all the mathematics I will learn.

I have the whole summer ahead of me, and am willing to spend a large number of hours learning mathematics. My only issue is that, I have at times come across difficulties and was wondering if I could be casually "mentored" by one of you more experienced mathematicians.

It will simply consist of the occasional clarification,help with a problem and any advice regarding textbooks.

Any response would be greatly appreciated. :biggrin:
Original post by Xenorebrem
Hello guys. I'm in Year 12 and going into Year 13.

I have an entire year left before beginning University, and the truth is, I am getting impatient. I really want to get started on University level Maths as it just fascinates me, and I can't think of any reason not to begin.

Anyway I've begun with the two books "Linear Algebra Done Right" and "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" and am reading them concurrently.
I have so far got through the first chapter of each, and after attempting the problems at the end I feel fairly confident, although these two chapters are of course introductory.

I am being as rigorous as possible and have been attempting to prove many of the theorems/propositions I have come across. Though this approach takes time, I do not want to learn analysis/algebra "the wrong way" as they are pretty much the fundamentals of all the mathematics I will learn.

I have the whole summer ahead of me, and am willing to spend a large number of hours learning mathematics. My only issue is that, I have at times come across difficulties and was wondering if I could be casually "mentored" by one of you more experienced mathematicians.

It will simply consist of the occasional clarification,help with a problem and any advice regarding textbooks.

Any response would be greatly appreciated. :biggrin:

If you wanted to PM me any questions you have I'm happy to give a go at answering anything, I'll usually reply same day, I check this daily. I'm sure many other people would do the same.

I got good firsts in each of my algebra and analysis modules for first and second year at university, so I can try and help you out where needed.
So, anyone doing anything exciting or interesting lately?

I did a question yesterday that led me to the result of pi/4=1-1/3+1/5-... I've seen this result before, but I was pretty excited for it to come up in the question I was doing. :biggrin:
Reply 7934
Original post by rayquaza17
So, anyone doing anything exciting or interesting lately?

I did a question yesterday that led me to the result of pi/4=1-1/3+1/5-... I've seen this result before, but I was pretty excited for it to come up in the question I was doing. :biggrin:

That's pretty cool. I remember "proving" that result in A level, but I just assumed that everything worked the way I wanted. The way I did it was with an integral of 1/(1+x^2), and also integrating the binomial expansion of 1/(1+x^2). Now that I'm a 3rd year studying measure theory, I know all about why you can do that :tongue:
Original post by Noble.
I think it depends on how much support there is in the form of tutorials/supervisions. I know some universities literally just release the solutions to problem sheets and that's the extent of the support whereas, at Oxford/Cambridge, we generally don't get the solutions to any problem sheets but obviously we have tutorials on them. Most universities lie somewhere in-between, but personally I don't find releasing the solutions to problem sheets being very helpful in getting to grips with problem areas

At Edinburgh in 3rd year (comparable to 2nd year in England and Wales) we had a weekly 4-on-1 session with a senior lecturer, these were absolutely vital for understanding concepts in the three core modules (algebra, complex analysis, and real analysis). Even better, it was practically 2-on-1 for our little group since two of the others hardly turned up lol.

However in 4th year they didn't do that, because there were no core modules. There were course-specific tutorial sessions every now and then but they weren't very helpful and you were very much expected to go out and help yourself.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Don John
At Edinburgh in 3rd year (comparable to 2nd year in England and Wales) we had a weekly 4-on-1 session with a senior lecturer, these were absolutely vital for understanding concepts in the three core modules (algebra, complex analysis, and real analysis). Even better, it was practically 2-on-1 for our little group since two of the others hardly turned up lol.However in 4th year they didn't do that, because there were no core modules. There were course-specific tutorial sessions every now and then but they weren't very helpful and you were very much expected to go out and help yourself.

How many 3rd year students are there?

We had something like this last year (first year), but it was really awkward since people didn't like answering questions in front of others.
Original post by rayquaza17
How many 3rd year students are there?

We had something like this last year (first year), but it was really awkward since people didn't like answering questions in front of others.

A few hundred.

Quick Reply

Latest