The Student Room Group

Maths Uni Chat

Scroll to see replies

assmaster
We've got Problem Solving, which is fun, and not physics-y in the slightest.

It turns up in lectures, but it's not been taught. It sneaked in Discrete and Calculus in the first week, words like subset, disjoint and non-empty floating around with no explanation. Good times. Sets aren't as awesome as I was hoping, from all you'd said :frown:

Well, the second and third year looks like a physics degree.

When did I say sets are good.
Reply 1361
Simplicity
Is that a joke, or is that actually true? But, yeah 60% getting a first when out of the all the other unis its only 30%, that is weird.

20 creds out of 120 times 4 is really little.

Looking through your course it looks like a nightmare. No mathematical logic, not even one course on set theory in later years. It seems geared towards a mathematical physics degree.

It was only one year when 60% got a first (also I think that was 60% of Mmath people, weaker people will natually drop out after the BSc). Otherwise it is more like 30% every year.

The first year course on set theory at Durham was dropped a few years ago (I did it four years ago and it included all the stuff you've been mentioning). I'd assumed they'd moved the material into parts of other courses but I may be wrong.

There are plenty of pure maths modules that Durham does certainly more than you have to choose in the degree. (Same with mathematical physics modules)
Reply 1362
Simplicity
Well, the second and third year looks like a physics degree.

When did I say sets are good.

Hmmm, no; I'm doing nothing like a physics degree.
Sooz
It was only one year when 60% got a first (also I think that was 60% of Mmath people, weaker people will natually drop out after the BSc). Otherwise it is more like 30% every year.

The first year course on set theory at Durham was dropped a few years ago (I did it four years ago and it included all the stuff you've been mentioning). I'd assumed they'd moved the material into parts of other courses but I may be wrong.

There are plenty of pure maths modules that Durham does certainly more than you have to choose in the degree. (Same with mathematical physics modules)

Okay, that could be a outliner. But, its weird that it came up 60% which heavily suggests its easier. However, I doubt that it is easier. So yeah probably a one off.

But, its weird as I don't see how they can introduces proofs and stuff like quantifiers without it.

Okay, I guess having a lot of options is not that bad.

Edenr
Hmmm, no; I'm doing nothing like a physics degree.

In interest what do you study at the moment? I remeber you saying you do Galois theory.
Reply 1364
Simplicity
Okay, that could be a outliner. But, its weird that it came up 60% which heavily suggests its easier. However, I doubt that it is easier. So yeah probably a one off.

But, its weird as I don't see how they can introduces proofs and stuff like quantifiers without it.

Okay, I guess having a lot of options is not that bad.

In interest what do you study at the moment? I remeber you saying you do Galois theory.

Galois Theory, Algebraic Geom, Representation Theory, Topology, Analysis, Differential Geom.

So, so pure.
Edenr
Galois Theory, Algebraic Geom, Representation Theory, Topology, Analysis, Differential Geom.

So, so pure.

Okay, I admit I misjudged Durham. You are so lucky you are studying interesting topics, all I do is crap. I have to wait intill next year intill I do real maths.

On another note, which one do you like the most and which one do you hate the most?
Reply 1366
Simplicity
Okay, I admit I misjudged Durham. You are so lucky you are studying interesting topics, all I do is crap.

You just have to slog out (well, it doesn't really require 'slogging out'; 'endure' would be more accurate) the first year or two. When your choices expand in later years, you'll be thankful for the grounding you were given early on :smile:
Edenr
x

Did you cut your curl?
Reply 1368
assmaster
Did you cut your curl?

I have cut my grad x F, yes (I can't think of anything concise and math-related for cut). Thank you for telling me :p:
Edenr
You just have to slog out (well, it doesn't really require 'slogging out'; 'endure' would be more accurate) the first year or two. When your choices expand in later years, you'll be thankful for the grounding you were given early on :smile:

Yeah, I was under the impression that the first year was vastly different to A levels. Yet most of it is not. Alot, of it seems more like pacman than thinking. I doubt I would. But, yeah I doubt I will be thankful later.
Edenr
I have cut my grad x F, yes (I can't think of anything concise and math-related for cut). Thank you for telling me :p:

I'm learning what grad is now. But, I don't see how that makes sense nor how is that funny?

Maybe, made my complex log one to one. That would make more sense as that would be branch cutting.
Reply 1371
Simplicity
I'm learning what grad is now. But, I don't see how that makes sense nor how is that funny?

Maybe, made my complex log one to one. That would make more sense as that would be branch cutting.

RL-related.
Edenr
RL-related.

It still doesn't make sense.

Anyway, here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branch_cut#Branch_cuts
Reply 1373
Simplicity
It still doesn't make sense.

Who said it was supposed to make sense as read? She asked me a question which happened to contain a word which has a mathematical meaning as well as an everyday one, so I flipped it in. That's all.

Plus, it wasn't a joke.
Edenr
Who said it was supposed to make sense as read? She asked me a question which happened to contain a word which has a mathematical meaning as well as an everyday one, so I flipped it in. That's all.

Plus, it wasn't a joke.

You are a mathematician, you should make a logical joke. Something that makes logical sense.

That sounded like a joke to me.
Edenr

Y'welcome.
(Only Mathsy cut thing I know of: http://academicearth.org/lectures/network-flows-and-combinatorics-max-flow--min-cut )
Simplicity
No they're not. Apparently they are going to be the next ant and dec, maybe they will suck less at being presenters.

Pfft they'll be amazing :biggrin: we'll just have to see where they go :smile:

FInished my workshop tonight and my essay, (was really interesting tbh) wrote a full 2 pages and expecting at least 3.5/5 for this essay, and about 25/30 for problems and 4ish for group mark. Should be a good grade this week :biggrin:

Now to learn stats and calc this weekend :frown: Think i shall have to not go out. :mad:
YES YES YES YES YES
Allowed one sheet of A4 into exam in december :biggrin: <3 calculas
ste0731
Pfft they'll be amazing :biggrin: we'll just have to see where they go :smile:

FInished my workshop tonight and my essay, (was really interesting tbh) wrote a full 2 pages and expecting at least 3.5/5 for this essay, and about 25/30 for problems and 4ish for group mark. Should be a good grade this week :biggrin:

Now to learn stats and calc this weekend :frown: Think i shall have to not go out. :mad:

Yeah, ant and dec have done down hill. They might be better, fresh blood and stuff.

I got the anwsers in front of me and all I need to do is copy them. Yet, I can't even do that. I suck. But, it is so boring.

I know calc, its not that hard to absorb althought taylor theorem in higher dimenions is a bitch. But, yeah don't know good my grad stuff is, I could probably do the problem sheet on it.

YES YES YES YES YES
Allowed one sheet of A4 into exam in december <3 calculas

Well, I don't think it was a lack of A4 sheet that caused people to make mistakes, more like lack of using the thing in head. Think where is the trick and don't be fooled by stuff like needing to add a constant e.t.c.
Simplicity
Yeah, ant and dec have done down hill. They might be better, fresh blood and stuff.

I got the anwsers in front of me and all I need to do is copy them. Yet, I can't even do that. I suck. But, it is so boring.

I know calc, its not that hard to absorb althought taylor theorem in higher dimenions is a bitch. But, yeah don't know good my grad stuff is, I could probably do the problem sheet on it.

Well, I don't think it was a lack of A4 sheet that caused people to make mistakes, more like lack of using the thing in head. Think where is the trick and don't be fooled by stuff like needing to add a constant e.t.c.

Stop reminding me :mad:

The sheet means I can write lecture notes up and learn calc over christmas instead of before december :smile: Gives me more time :p: Bad approach but it'll do. Looking forward to semested 2 though now, matlab, linear algebra etc :smile: I'll keep on top better and less nights out = Good grade hopefully!

No doubt i'll be here panicking before exams in jan moaning about how we have no time to learn the material :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest