Special Support Grant/ Maintenance Grant ****-up Watch

marmalade166
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
finally got my means tested status through, but the numpties have given me Maintenance Grant rather than S.S.G. Which i both applied and qualify for

thing is, the two times i rang them, i've been given different advice on how to rectify this. The most sensible one was to write them a letter asking to be re-assessed, but i'm worried that this will then delay getting my first payment on the 21st :woo:

so, has anyone experienced this, and what do you suggest as a way forward for me?
Strife
Report 9 years ago
I actually asked them about the special support grant when i accidently opted 'no' during the application process (i wanted to rectify this by changing it to 'yes'), and i got a reply saying that if you are receiving a maintenance grant you aren't eligible for the special support grant, contrary to what i had been lead to believe. I don't know how true this is.
butchered_wyer
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
To the person above, that isn't true...as I got both last year, and if SFE ever decide to hurry up, I should get again this year
aaron1867
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
http://www.studentfinance.direct.gov..._schema=PORTAL

Scroll to the bottom.
marmalade166
ah, all is well with the world. Logged into my Student Finance account this morning and it had changed from Maintenance Grant to S.S.G. Lord knows why, but i'm not gonna press the issue after all the hassle of getting this far! :hide:
marmalade166
(Original post by butchered_wyer)
To the person above, that isn't true...as I got both last year, and if SFE ever decide to hurry up, I should get again this year

you seriously got both Maintenance Grant (not loan) and Special Support Grant?
confused - help?
Report 9 years ago
This country is a **** up, everything.
MissOki
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You can only receive either a maintenance grant or special support grant (not both).

I experienced a similar issue; even though I'd definitely ticked the box for the special support grant, they subsequently amended my application so that it looked like I never applied for SSG

I sent a letter to them, asking for this mistake to be rectified, and included a signed SSG form; letters from my doctor and benefits office; I also included my signed declaration on the understanding they would correct my application (they also changed my course and campus information). My application has now been approved, but with the maintenance grant

I have not phoned them yet, as I dislike using phones (I do not understand why they've removed the on-line contact facility from their website).
Strife
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by MissOki)
(I do not understand why they've removed the on-line contact facility from their website).
Strange you should mention this - i noticed that sometimes the option to ask a question was there and sometimes it wasn't. If you have the message page in your history, you can still use it to communicate with them.
butchered_wyer
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by marmalade166)
you seriously got both Maintenance Grant (not loan) and Special Support Grant?
Crap, it may of been student support?...my bad
wishfulthinking
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by butchered_wyer)
Crap, it may of been student support?...my bad
My friend has also got both this time!!!!:confused: :confused:
Taiko
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's not possible to have both the maintenance grant and special support grant, as in the assessments screen it's either one or the other.

The assessments screen isn't something students will see.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (312)
37.68%
No - but I will (64)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.49%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (390)
47.1%

Watched Threads