Clarification on utilities bills Watch

2Av
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi guys, rep for some helpful answers

It seems like some of the tenants moved in the place couple days ago, i will be arriving late due to fixed flight date, so if i'm correct...the tenants who moved in early had to organise who has their name under the utilities bill????

I assume thats the first thing people do when they move in, right???? or there won't be anything running.

Thanks
2Av
Rep:
?
bumpp
miranda13
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i'm not really sure how it works but i've been to visit my house (not moved in yet) and we haven't sorted bills but everything works
blahbloo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by miranda13)
i'm not really sure how it works but i've been to visit my house (not moved in yet) and we haven't sorted bills but everything works
Even the internet? :p: Just to let you know the internet takes a while to get connected.
miranda13
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by blahbloo)
Even the internet? :p: Just to let you know the internet takes a while to get connected.
lol no i didn't mean internet. obviosuly you have to set that up on your own. gas, electricity and water were ok though
gtmad
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
same here, moved in and started proceedings with an energy supplier but nothing is nailed down yet, and gas and electric work. when you first move in, you take meter readings and give those to whichever supplier you choose, so you pay for what you use.

internet is different, you need to choose a company that provides a phone service and pay them line rental, they come round and hook your phone up and then you can contact a company to do the internet (you will probably save money if you choose the same company to do both these things.
Vokes
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It depends alot on where you move into. Any rented house I have has already have everything up and running, you just take the meter reading and let the company know to make sure you dont over pay then you can change suppliers if you want to. Some may have it all turned off (especially student accom which is likely to be empty over the summer) and you have to setup it up / get connected etc. Some have prepay meters which you just have to buy a card for.

I assume though the 1st people to move in would have sorted it or they may get rather cold and hungry
2Av
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vokes)
It depends alot on where you move into. Any rented house I have has already have everything up and running, you just take the meter reading and let the company know to make sure you dont over pay then you can change suppliers if you want to. Some may have it all turned off (especially student accom which is likely to be empty over the summer) and you have to setup it up / get connected etc. Some have prepay meters which you just have to buy a card for.

I assume though the 1st people to move in would have sorted it or they may get rather cold and hungry
Yeah, i just moved in and everything works fine. Probably is, the flatmate took the meter reading and the problem is now, the flatmate isn't in and at the moment i'm literally starving! Not sure if i'm allowed to use electricity or not, is there a limit usage.

I mean, what if not all the tenants moved in for a week. Any ideas when we should choose suppliers??
Vokes
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by 2Av)
Yeah, i just moved in and everything works fine. Probably is, the flatmate took the meter reading and the problem is now, the flatmate isn't in and at the moment i'm literally starving! Not sure if i'm allowed to use electricity or not, is there a limit usage.

I mean, what if not all the tenants moved in for a week. Any ideas when we should choose suppliers??
If it's billed then you can use it straight away and as much as you like (more you use the most it will cost obviously).

You just need to give the current supplier the reading as soon as is practical.

You can change suppliers at any time if you find a cheaper one
2Av
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vokes)
If it's billed then you can use it straight away and as much as you like (more you use the most it will cost obviously).

You just need to give the current supplier the reading as soon as is practical.

You can change suppliers at any time if you find a cheaper one
I see, the problem is all of our tenants are not in and finding and we haven't found a supplier even though we're using it as practical.

Would that be a problem?

First tenant moved in a week ago and has not found an supplier.
Vokes
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by 2Av)
I see, the problem is all of our tenants are not in and finding and we haven't found a supplier even though we're using it as practical.

Would that be a problem?

First tenant moved in a week ago and has not found an supplier.

You will already have a supplier or you wouldnt be able to use it :p:

Ask the agent you rent from if they have changed it to your name and if not who the supplier is so you can.

You dont have to change supplier, only if think you can get a better deal with another company.
2Av
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vokes)
You will already have a supplier or you wouldnt be able to use it :p:

Ask the agent you rent from if they have changed it to your name and if not who the supplier is so you can.

You dont have to change supplier, only if think you can get a better deal with another company.
Thanks for the heads up
2Av
Rep:
?
I'm thinking of going with npower:

Anyone have any ideas, what this means?

Option 1:

Standard Economy 7 Electricity
Monthly Direct Debit
Receipt Of Bill
Quarterly Variable Direct Debit
Day rate
first 728kWh per year 23.200p per kWh 24.360p per kWh
additional kWh 15.390p per kWh 16.160p per kWh

Night rate 4.300p per kWh 4.515p per kWh

Option 2:
Standard Electricity
Monthly Direct Debit
Receipt Of Bill
Day rate
first 728kWh per year 13.760p per kWh 14.448p per kWh
additional kWh 13.230p per kWh 13.892p per kWh

Or any better electricity supplier they would like to recommend? Thanks!
Vokes
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by 2Av)
I'm thinking of going with npower:

Anyone have any ideas, what this means?

Option 1:

Standard Economy 7 Electricity
Monthly Direct Debit
Receipt Of Bill
Day rate
first 728kWh per year 23.200p per kWh 24.360p per kWh
additional kWh 15.390p per kWh 16.160p per kWh

Night rate 4.300p per kWh 4.515p per kWh

Option 2:
Standard Electricity
Monthly Direct Debit
Receipt Of Bill
Day rate
first 728kWh per year 13.760p per kWh 14.448p per kWh
additional kWh 13.230p per kWh 13.892p per kWh

Or any better electricity supplier they would like to recommend? Thanks!

Economy 7 gives you a very cheap rate nat nights when the load is low and a higher rate during the day. Ideal if you are only really there of an evening or have items that can charge at night and use that during the day instead of coming from source.

You need an economy 7 meter though I believe.
2Av
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vokes)
Economy 7 gives you a very cheap rate nat nights when the load is low and a higher rate during the day. Ideal if you are only really there of an evening or have items that can charge at night and use that during the day instead of coming from source.

You need an economy 7 meter though I believe.
I see, just rather confused with:

first 728kWh per year

Surely 'us' students wont be using 728,000 Watts per year, any chance of explain what this means?

Or is it implying that the first 728,000 watt usage will be 23p per Kwh and anymore will result in additional cost.

Scenario: 6 tenants per year - meter reading - 259,000

259,000/23 per kwh = £11,260 per year

£11,260/6 tenants = £1876 each

£1876/3 x quartely paid = £625 per tenant.

Am i correct in thinking that? Appreciate your help
Vokes
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by 2Av)
I see, just rather confused with:

first 728kWh per year

Surely 'us' students wont be using 728,000 Watts per year, any chance of explain what this means?

Or is it implying that the first 728,000 watt usage will be 23p per Kwh and anymore will result in additional cost.

Scenario: 6 tenants per year - meter reading - 259,000

259,000/23 per kwh = £11,260 per year

£11,260/6 tenants = £1876 each

£1876/3 x quartely paid = £625 per tenant.

Am i correct in thinking that? Appreciate your help
You get charges 23p per KwH for the first 728KwH then you move to the lower rate.

Your out by a factor of 100 its pence not pounds so £112.60 etc.
2Av
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vokes)
You get charges 23p per KwH for the first 728KwH then you move to the lower rate.

Your out by a factor of 100 its pence not pounds so £112.60 etc.
Wow £112.60 Happy days, thanks rep will be on its way
Vokes
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by 2Av)
Wow £112.60 Happy days, thanks rep will be on its way

Well assuming you use the number of units you said then yeah, I can see it being alot more with 6 students running loads of high tech devices though :P
2Av
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vokes)
Well assuming you use the number of units you said then yeah, I can see it being alot more with 6 students running loads of high tech devices though :P
Yeah, these guys/girls watch too much television. lol

I looked at the meter reading and i saw 0000404, if i'm correct, thats 404,000kwh, right?

Its only been 5 days :|

I'll post photo of meter reading, if it helps? Rep given
Vokes
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by 2Av)
Yeah, these guys/girls watch too much television. lol

I looked at the meter reading and i saw 0000404, if i'm correct, thats 404,000kwh, right?

Its only been 5 days :|

I'll post photo of meter reading, if it helps? Rep given

Difficult to say really, probs more like 404 KWh.

Yeah students arent really the best at turning lights out, tvs off that sort ofthing, and with 6 people there the heating will probs be on nearly all the time in the winter, it builds up quickly
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (163)
39.09%
No - but I will (22)
5.28%
No - I don't want to (30)
7.19%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (202)
48.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed