Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Second time now, this is beyond a joke. I've been driving for over a year, and have my own car to practise in.
    Why do I keep failing??
    FYI - First time blind spot checking, second time observation (when a car sped past me at about 50 in a 30 area).

ReputationRep:
    Commiserations. I do feel that examiners nowadays are being too pedantic and do NOT operate to the same standards. A different examiner may well have passed you.
    Or perhaps they're deliberately failing people in order to increase revenue?

ReputationRep:
    Don't give up!

ReputationRep:
    i agree with the comment about subjective examiners- younger, newly qualified ones tend to stick to the rules too rigidly. some of the older, more experienced ones can recognise a safe driver and are prepared to overlook the odd minor mistake if they think you are generally a safe driver.

i failed twice and passed 3rd time, but im sure it was only cos the examiner was older, more experienced and a little more lenient- i know i made at least 1 same mistake as in my second test

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt worry about it.. It took me over a year to pass. My friend is on his 5th now.. I think it will all come together eventually. Some examiners are so rigid nowadays thou.. I had an older one he was much more friendly and helpful.

(Original post by makeshiftwings)
    Second time now, this is beyond a joke. I've been driving for over a year, and have my own car to practise in.
    Why do I keep failing??
    FYI - First time blind spot checking, second time observation (when a car sped past me at about 50 in a 30 area).

not another 'i failed my driving test' thread

ReputationRep:
    Oh no dear, this one is different. This is failed 'again'. And if you have a problem with it, don't read it.

ReputationRep:
    examiners shouldn't overlook "minor" mistakes. any mistake can lead to a car accident. don't be so foolish.

ReputationRep:
    I failed second time too. Stupid reasons. 1-apparantly I spent too long waiting on my parallel park. Also, was a bit too slow tuning into a junction! :mad: That was so annoying. I could have so easily passed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozza)
    examiners shouldn't overlook "minor" mistakes. any mistake can lead to a car accident. don't be so foolish.
    I take it you passed with none? Or that every time you drive, you do it test standard? I don't like people like you.

ReputationRep:
    You got to keep workin on it!

ReputationRep:
    Or that every time you drive, you do it test standard?
    If you do not, what the **** is the point of the test?

If everyone just drove carefully and to the best of their abilities all the time and stuck to t he rules of the road. there would be virtually no accidents. As it is, there are a huge number of accidents and most people are in at least one or two in their driving career, all because of poor drivers and people like you who cant be bothered to concentrate properly when driving :mad:

You've just got to be fully aware of the road and of drivers around you and concentrating fully; if not you need a sharp reminder that cars are bloody dangerous things imo.

ReputationRep:
    I've been told that the day i have my test the chief examiner isn't there - so i won't have his moody remarks annoying me!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sleep)
    If you do not, what the **** is the point of the test?

If everyone just drove carefully and to the best of their abilities all the time and stuck to t he rules of the road. there would be virtually no accidents. As it is, there are a huge number of accidents and most people are in at least one or two in their driving career, all because of poor drivers and people like you who cant be bothered to concentrate properly when driving :mad:

You've just got to be fully aware of the road and of drivers around you and concentrating fully; if not you need a sharp reminder that cars are bloody dangerous things imo.
    you can be a safe driver without jumping through all the hoops that a driving test demands

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kidney thief)
    you can be a safe driver without jumping through all the hoops that a driving test demands
    You can, but systematic car control is designed to make safe driving easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kidney thief)
    If you can't even 'jump through hoops' what hope have you got on your own? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    If you can't even 'jump through hoops' what hope have you got on your own? :rolleyes:
    my point isnt wether or not you should be able to do the things that the test demands

the issue is wether or not the "hoops" necessarily correlates with being a safe driver- and it is possible to drive safely without driving to "test standard"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    I failed second time too. Stupid reasons. 1-apparantly I spent too long waiting on my parallel park. Also, was a bit too slow tuning into a junction! :mad: That was so annoying. I could have so easily passed!
    Are you sure about the second one? Surely that's just a minor point for hesitation?

I thought I had failed my test after getting too close to the kerb in my parallel park which made it difficult for me to pull out again. My examiner however, talked at length at the end how everyone makes some mistakes and if you have a good standard of driving for 40 minutes, minor mistakes made, that cause no danger to other drivers are overlooked (well not overlooked, just not bad enough to fail). Maybe I just had a nice examiner?

ReputationRep:
    Let's get things into perspective. As soon as 95% of people go for their first celebratary drive after passing their test, 50% of them make a potentially FATAL driving error - FACT.
    Within 3 months - the rule book has gone out of the window, to be replaced with the "get out of my way I'm late for a meeting" mentality.
    To be a SAFE driver - it's wise to become psychic so you can anticipate the moves of the OTHER morons on the road.
    Consider this. If RANDOM re-testing were introduced - would YOU pass?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)
    Are you sure about the second one? Surely that's just a minor point for hesitation?

I thought I had failed my test after getting too close to the kerb in my parallel park which made it difficult for me to pull out again. My examiner however, talked at length at the end how everyone makes some mistakes and if you have a good standard of driving for 40 minutes, minor mistakes made, that cause no danger to other drivers are overlooked (well not overlooked, just not bad enough to fail). Maybe I just had a nice examiner?
    :dito: it was my examiner's discretion that allowed me to pass in the end. if i'd made the same mistake as i did when i passed (3rd time) with the examiner who took my 1st and 2nd (according to my instructor) i'd have failed again. generally, its the younger examiners who dont have enough experience to trust and exercise their discretion that stick rigidly and clinically to the rules

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.