Cambridge General Interview Watch

osmith467
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi everyone, I just wanted a brief idea of what the interviewers want to hear when they ask questions like: 'Why Cambridge?' and 'Why Peterhouse?' I am fully aware that they may entirely avoid such questions, but I just wanted to hear some conflicting opinions. There's nothing quite like some healthy debate. Thanks
Owen
bigmo7
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
First off, the obstacle course...this is what you'll need to do when you first go in.

If you can't do this don't bother applying...
Catsmeat
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by osmith467)
Hi everyone, I just wanted a brief idea of what the interviewers want to hear when they ask questions like: 'Why Cambridge?' and 'Why Peterhouse?' I am fully aware that they may entirely avoid such questions, but I just wanted to hear some conflicting opinions. There's nothing quite like some healthy debate. Thanks
Owen
You can't expect there to be a generic answer. Anyway, if you're applying to Trinity they know it's because one of your parents studied there, just don't remind the interviewer.

bigmo7, don't be a bloody idiot; go-carting has taken precedence now in the majority of colleges.
Xei
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Catsmeat)
You can't expect there to be a generic answer. Anyway, if you're applying to Trinity they know it's because one of your parents studied there, just don't remind the interviewer.

bigmo7, don't be a bloody idiot; go-carting has taken precedence now in the majority of colleges.
Well, at Queens' there were two tutors sat on the far side of the room who threw maltesers at me which I had to catch in my mouth.

OP: I heard they'd banned the question 'why college X'.

Really don't bother worrying about this question. It's pretty useless in the first place and will be of no consequence other than to make conversation. If it does come up, just say you applied to Cambridge because of the reputation of the strong academic community and history for your subject. If they ask about your college, just say why; the architecture, size, whatever.
bigmo7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Catsmeat)

How times have changed....
emilY?
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If they ask those questions, they're either ice breakers (imo that's pretty much the only possible option for the "college" Q) or they want to see what has attracted you specifically about the Cambridge course since its probably different to other unis - and whether you've researched that fact properly.
nuodai
Report 9 years ago
Chances are they won't ask you about why you picked that college: for all they know you could be an open applicant, so it's unlikely that they'll ask you college-specific questions. You need to buff up more about the actual subject; that's what they'll be interested in.
Vivisteiner
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by bigmo7)
First off, the obstacle course...this is what you'll need to do when you first go in.

If you can't do this don't bother applying...
Actually, I failed the obstacle course but still got in. I think they overlooked my poor performance because of my high modular marks and my extensive work experience.

That said, in the general interview they also talked about my subject as well! And I was like 'Shut the hell up! I've already talked about my goddamn boring subject in one interview, don't make me do it again.'

I was also asked how I managed my extra-curricular activities. so I said 'I just do. Its not that hard.'

Needless to say, I got in. :woo:
Muckamuck
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I suppose if you mention some cool famous guy who studied there and that he's your idol, etc, etc. that would be a pretty good answer.

Someone should say "umm, I heard it was the easiest to get into". Would go down well :yep:

"I heard Nick Griffin studied here?" :awesome:
Muckamuck
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Vivisteiner)
That said, in the general interview they also talked about my subject as well! And I was like 'Shut the hell up! I've already talked about my goddamn boring subject in one interview, don't make me do it again.'
How dare they? :mad:
Vivisteiner
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Muckamuck)
How dare they? :mad:
Exactly! What's the point in having a subject interview and a general interview if they're gonna ask me bloody subject questions in both of them?! :mad:

In fact, out of principle I refused to answer their subject based questions. I think they were impressed. Maybe the OP could learn from me. :cool:
Muckamuck
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Vivisteiner)
Exactly! What's the point in having a subject interview and a general interview if they're gonna ask me bloody subject questions in both of them?! :mad:

In fact, out of principle I refused to answer their subject based questions. I think they were impressed. Maybe the OP could learn from me. :cool:
No doubt. It's all about thinking outside the box. I morally object to A-Levels and the education system in this country; so, in protest, I failed them miserably. I think it's safe to say they were impressed.
Glutamic Acid
Report 9 years ago
I'd read beforehand that college-oriented questions wouldn't be asked such as not to disadvantage open applicants, but I was asked "why St. John's?" at interview, as well as "why Cambridge?". You could be daring and tell the truth, but otherwise reciting a typical answer making reference to the course and college facilities will be sufficient; it's unlikely that such questions will have any effect on your selection, and are merely ice-breakers before the ensuing intellectual rape.
Muckamuck
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Glutamic Acid)
I'd read beforehand that college-oriented questions wouldn't be asked such as not to disadvantage open applicants, but I was asked "why St. John's?" at interview, as well as "why Cambridge?". You could be daring and tell the truth, but otherwise reciting a typical answer making reference to the course and college facilities will be sufficient; it's unlikely that such questions will have any effect on your selection, and are merely ice-breakers before the ensuing intellectual rape.
BTW, why did you particularly choose St. John's? (I'm thinking about applying there for 2011.)
Vivisteiner
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No doubt. It's all about thinking outside the box. I morally object to A-Levels and the education system in this country; so, in protest, I failed them miserably. I think it's safe to say they were impressed.
I am glad to see that you are free from the shackles of society and its injust monstrosities!

To me, A levels symbolise the desecration of my revered subject. To undertake them is to pollute the very seas from whence the source of originality has sprung. Hence I dived from the jaws of mindlessness to the source of enlightenment, and with my UUU I forged a new path towards greatness and beyond. :yep:
Glutamic Acid
Report 9 years ago
BTW, why did you particularly choose St. John's? (I'm thinking about applying there for 2011.)
It catered to my accommodation preferences, rated my A level subject combination better than other colleges and I was satisfied with the college facilities/stuff like that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (121)
39.54%
No - but I will (16)
5.23%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.54%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (149)
48.69%

Watched Threads