Turn on thread page Beta

The Official Edexcel M2 Revision Thread! (24/06/05 AM) watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by endeavour)
    But I don't understand what the mark scheme's done.
    what does it say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Widowmaker)
    what does it say?
    λM*4a = M(44a/15)

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have the January 2002 markscheme please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by endeavour)
    λM*4a = M(44a/15)
    taken moments about B.

ReputationRep:
    does any have the mark scheme 4 jan05 plz!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by topdude)
    does any have the mark scheme 4 jan05 plz!?
    iv got it..pm me ur email addy...quick plz, im leavin in another min!

ReputationRep:
    with the January 2004 paper, I have decided that I found question 5 the most aggrevating :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KAISER_MOLE)
    with the January 2004 paper, I have decided that I found question 5 the most aggrevating :p:
    I found that part alright.
    6)c took me a while.

ReputationRep:
    not strictly true.
    When the car brakes, the tow-bar pushes the trailer and car apart from each other, this is the thrust of the tow-bar.
    If you did it as a tension it would be acting in the opposite direction.
    Could you explain further... why would the tow-bar push the trailer and car in the opposite direction, what is thrust and why does it act in the opposite direction...??? :confused:

i tried doing the question thinking of it as tension in the 1st place and it didn't work because it gives a negative number... i'm assuming that your right must that thrust act's in the opposite direction but i need a bit more of an explanation as to why

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revenged)
    Could you explain further... why would the tow-bar push the trailer and car in the opposite direction, what is thrust and why does it act in the opposite direction...??? :confused:

i tried doing the question thinking of it as tension in the 1st place and it didn't work because it gives a negative number... i'm assuming that your right must that thrust act's in the opposite direction but i need a bit more of an explanation as to why
    When the car is moving, the trailer also moves at the same speed as the car. The tension in the tow-bar provides the motion of the trailer.

When the car brakes, the trailer doesn't brake it continues moving, the thrust in the towbar decelerates the trailer so it doesn't collide into the car.

Think of the tow-bar as a spring. When you compress the string too much, it pushes back on you. This is an example of newton's third law. You exert a force on the spring, the spring exerts an equal but opposite force on your hand. This is the thrust in the spring.

ReputationRep:
    When the car is moving, the trailer also moves at the same speed as the car. The tension in the tow-bar provides the motion of the trailer.

When the car brakes, the trailer doesn't brake it continues moving, the thrust in the towbar decelerates the trailer so it doesn't collide into the car.

Think of the tow-bar as a spring. When you compress the string too much, it pushes back on you. This is an example of newton's third law. You exert a force on the spring, the spring exerts an equal but opposite force on your hand. This is the thrust in the spring.
    and if you want a formula, just do:
    thrust = -1 X tension

ReputationRep:

hang on... call me stupid but if you stretch a string you have a force pulling the spring back together... so this force is tension

if you push spring closer together then there will be a force acting oppositely on the spring this is the thrust... yeah?

ReputationRep:
    hang on... call me stupid but if you stretch a string you have a force pulling the spring back together... so this force is tension

if you push spring closer together then there will be a force acting oppositely on the spring this is the thrust... yeah?
    that's right.

ReputationRep:
    so when the car is moving normally there is a tension pulling the trailler and an equal an opposite tension acting on the car

when the car is breaking... the car slows down but the trailer is going forward... this is like a compressing spring. This means there will be a thrust pulling the trailer back and a thrust pushing the trailer forwards

so this means that tension and thrust are the opposite of each other???

ReputationRep:
    grazie mille!!!

ReputationRep:
    so when the car is moving normally there is a tension pulling the trailler and an equal an opposite tension acting on the car

when the car is breaking... the car slows down but the trailer is going forward... this is like a compressing spring. This means there will be a thrust pulling the trailer back and a thrust pushing the trailer forwards

not exactly since the situation has changed. (ie thrust in new situation is not alike to tension from old situation)
    seeing as you are getting thrust you should do it the properway

for others that dont understand thrust, i would suggest (in the new situation) use tension as you normally do, then at the end do -1xtension

ReputationRep:

yes.
    That question won't come up again (its highly unlikely anyway) so don't worry about it too much.

Coefficient of restitution will almost definitely come up.

ReputationRep:
    have you got any tips for these impossible range of value of e questions

so far no one has been very helpful

and my technique of trial and error... basically just look at the numbers for any way of getting an inequality that is in between 0 and 1 works very rarely

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys think of m2 jan 04?
    Hardest paper I've done so far.
    just did it and did NOT like it. bout 3 parts i dont understand.

question 3b) why do they ignore gravitational forces and potential energy when finding µ?
    question 4b) how have they found µ? the answer doesnt make sense
    question 7e) where did the forces 'S' and 'R' come from?

if ne1 has any idea what im talking about, would appreciate any help. im having a dumb day today :confused:

ReputationRep:
    have you got any tips for these impossible range of value of e questions

so far no one has been very helpful

and my technique of trial and error... basically just look at the numbers for any way of getting an inequality that is in between 0 and 1 works very rarely
    if direction of a particle is changed (normally the case), then V < 0 or V > 0 depending on your positive direction.

so if v = ½(1-3e)u

v < 0
    => ½u - 3eu/2 < 0
    => ½u < 3eu/2
    => u < 3eu
    => 3eu > u
    => e > u/3u
    => e > 1/3

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.