Problems with Dell Inspiron 1520 after installing ne RAM... Watch

dangerboi2410
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hey guys,

Just been trying to install better RAM on my laptop, but now whenever it gets to the Desktop screen and I move the mouse... it freezes.

It's a Dell Inspiron 1520 which had 2x 512MB RAM, tried changing it to 2x 2GB RAM.

I can get it to work in safe mode, but that's it. Tried System Restore, no difference.

Seeing as I'm leaving for Uni in 2 weeks, this isn't a very convinient for timing or money.

If any one has had any experience or knows of how to help. Feel free to.
alexsheppard11
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
what speed was the original RAM, and what speed is the new RAM?

http://support.euro.dell.com/support....htm#wp1102222
dangerboi2410
(Original post by alexsheppard11)
what speed was the original RAM, and what speed is the new RAM?

http://support.euro.dell.com/support....htm#wp1102222
#
When I bought the laptop I kept the memory the same, which is 667 MHz. The new memory is 667 MHz
alexsheppard11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by dangerboi2410)
#
When I bought the laptop I kept the memory the same, which is 667 MHz. The new memory is 667 MHz
download memtest. it is also on the ubuntu live cd. run it, leave it over night. see if it reports any errors in the morning
dangerboi2410
download memtest. it is also on the ubuntu live cd. run it, leave it over night. see if it reports any errors in the morning
I can't get onto the internet or anything. It freezes the moment the desktop loads. Is the internet accessible from safe mode?
dangerboi2410
Sorry should also say that I have replaced my old RAM into it and I'm still having the problems.
alexsheppard11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I can't get onto the internet or anything. It freezes the moment the desktop loads. Is the internet accessible from safe mode?
select safe mode with networking. you can then use ethernet cable (not wireless- the drivers arent loaded for that) to connect
JamesWyl
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Nice choice of laptop - I've the same.

Are you sure the RAM you got was specifically for a 1520? I ordered new RAM for mine a while ago from a site like Orca, or dolphin, or something like that, and they sent me ram that was specifically for a 1520.
alexsheppard11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Sorry should also say that I have replaced my old RAM into it and I'm still having the problems.
run memtest overnight anyway with the new RAM, see what it reports
alexsheppard11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by JamesWyl)

Are you sure the RAM you got was specifically for a 1520? I ordered new RAM for mine a while ago from a site like Orca, or dolphin, or something like that, and they sent me ram that was specifically for a 1520.
RAM is pretty much generic
dangerboi2410
(Original post by JamesWyl)

Did the compatibility test on MrMemory site and it came up with what I got.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (481)
37.81%
No - but I will (98)
7.7%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.92%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (605)
47.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed