Wondering if anyone can help me out? Watch

Byllie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi,
Firstly I apologise, my school currently has no careers advisor :facepalm:

I have my complete a-levels, got them this summer; BBB.

I am currently on a gap year and im one of those people that likes to have their careers mapped out way in advance (at the very least keep all options open)

My choice would be to be a nuclear engineer as I believe many will be needed in this country and abroad in the next few decades.

However, in typical brit fashion...virtully no universities offer nuclear eng as an undergrad degree which means I must first do a 3 year bach in Mech Eng (which I believe is closely related to Nuke Eng).

I would like to therefore do 3 years at an attainable brit uni (I understand my grades aren't fantastic) and then go onto to study nuke at ETH zurich or something for a masters.....does anyone know if this is possible? Do universities prioritise their own undergrads for selection to these masters courses?

Besides...using the times league table here are my 5 currently FOR Beng Mech

Cardiff - BBC - hopefully unconditional
Loughborough - BBB
Newcastle -BBB
Nottingham - ???
Durham - BBB - Can anyone explain why this typical offer is so low?

Obviously I have no chance with the big players; bath, southampton, bristol or cambridge. However I was very close to an A in both Physics and Maths, I may retake in January to get them up. Is there any chance of these institutes giving out conditional offers on this basis.

Once again I do apologise for the 'pls help me' message but I really do need a hand.

Long story short, I would really like to know what challenges I may face in doing the Beng and then moving onto a masters at another uni, rather than just doing Meng in one uni.

Thanks a bunch
bluenoxid
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hm. Interesting. You're aiming for something you think will be required rather than a degree that you're interested in.

Engineering is tough. Money/guaranteed job prospects will not be enough of a drive.

In Mechanical, it's as tough as you make it to switch uni's. It's not difficult but depends what you want to do.
shiny
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I am pretty sure Lancaster has a course in Nuclear Eng? However, any Mech Eng course will provide the basics, you need to learn about thermodynamics and stuff before you can worry about the specifics of nuclear things. In fact, if you did find a Nuc Eng course it will prob share a common year 1 and 2 with the Mech Eng course.
Chizle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Durham's offer is so low probably because, even though it's a good general university over all, it's not even in the top 25 for engineering.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (524)
37.59%
No - but I will (109)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (96)
6.89%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (665)
47.7%

Watched Threads