Just a general question for economics Watch

No name 1234
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I was wondering whether someone got an offer from a top university to study Pure Economics without having the Economics A level or the Bussiness studies A level.

If so, what subjects did you take?

thank you in advance for answering
sil3nt_cha0s
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by No name 1234)
I was wondering whether someone got an offer from a top university to study Pure Economics without having the Economics A level or the Bussiness studies A level.

There will be people like this.

And they will have studied Maths at the bare minimum. Further Maths perhaps too, along with a science subject/modern language I reckon.
BillyMarsh
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
An economics lecturer I know was telling me once that she asks every student at the beginning of the course if they had previously studied economics, all those who raise their hand are told that it really didn't make any difference.
Anon the 7th
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
there probably will be some people, but they more than likely have taken maths and further maths to A-Level
neomilan
Badges: 15
Report 9 years ago
no university requires that you have studied economics, they only require maths

but most people take it because then it is easier for them to understand why they want to do economics and they can be well informed, just incase they need to be for an interview or their personal statement
-WhySoSerious?
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Ask dougiemacs (or i'll do it :P)

(Original post by dougiemacs)
hi
But generally, it'll include Maths/FM/Sciences and loads of additional reading.
Abi24
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There appeared to be a 70-30 (%) split in the lecture theatre when I was at Loughborough open day - as the person above with Lufbra in their sig said, it doesn't make that much difference. A lot of universities cater to people who have no prior experience of economics (ie no A level) and I know Loughborough's course is suited to those who haven't taken Maths - they teach you the parts of A level Maths you need to know anyways so everyone is even, and offer support.

Obviously places like LSE would demand it but it's worth reading up on where you want to go and have a look. If it's not specified in the entry requirements you don't 100% need it, although obviously it's useful. That said, Economics at degree seems to be very different from A level in its approaches, so it won't make that much difference.

I'm taking economics at Loughborough if you want any info
dougiemacs
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by -WhySoSerious?)
Ask dougiemacs (or i'll do it :P)

wow...... fame.
yeh i did maths f.maths biology chemistry geography a levels, got an offer for L100 economics at christs college cambridge. My offer was As in F.maths, geog and one of bio and chem.

basically not having economics a level really wasnt a big issue, just read up on it, read both general and in depth books (eg stiglitz for the latter), and just have an interest in the subject. and above all else, try as hard as possible to get high exam marks. they are looking for potential in economics, not knowledge.
Paulwhy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Outside the TAELT top 11 absence of Economics is unlikely to be critical.
Inside it might well be.
Best thing is to email your target unis with your particular academic circumstances.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (83)
39.15%
No - but I will (10)
4.72%
No - I don't want to (14)
6.6%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (105)
49.53%

Watched Threads