What can I do to get onto a Biology degree? Watch

BabyGirl92
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
So I think that I want to do Biology in University, I'm not 100% sure but I'm interested in conservation, working with animals and possibly teaching so I think it would be a good starting point.
I know it's really competitive and I asked my Biology teacher what I could do to get into Biology and she said 'Nothing really, just a good personal statement!'
But in all the personal statements I've read people have done stuff, like seen the rainforests in California which 'opened their eyes to the problems that there are with conservation' or whatever and been to see chimps in the wild and stuff! But the thing is I haven't done anything like this!
Soon I will begin volunteering in a youth club for disabled children, the reason I'm doing this is because I was originally interested in nursing/education but I spent so much time with inductions and CRB checks that I've decided to do the volunteering anyway.
I'm also going to a North Wales Wildlife Trust meeting in October to find out about what volunteering I can do with them, because I'm interested in working with animals. But by the time I'm writing my personal statement I probably won't have actually done anything with it, so it seems kind of useless at the moment!
I just want to know what else I could do (apart from trying to get AAB-ABB) to make me stand out as an applicant! As the course I'm interested has 12,000 applicants and 450 places, so I really do need to stand out!
WhatTheFunk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
you don't just stand out by travelling around the world, and all that, do you work? you talk about your A-levels and what you have done, don't worry about everyone else as each person is different, are you looking at Oxbridge?

going to plug ps help there :p: if you submit your PS to ps help, a ps helper will have a look over it for you
BabyGirl92
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by robinson999)
you don't just stand out by travelling around the world, and all that, do you work? you talk about your A-levels and what you have done, don't worry about everyone else as each person is different, are you looking at Oxbridge?

going to plug ps help there :p: if you submit your PS to ps help, a ps helper will have a look over it for you
Thanks. No I'm not looking at Oxbridge but looking at good ones like Manchester, Liverpool and Sheffield which are all really competitive.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.86%
No - but I will (88)
7.52%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (559)
47.78%

Watched Threads