Reading list(included) anyone got any recommendations? Watch

Lawstude
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hey all,

I've been recommended these following books, and just wondered if anyone had any recommendations? :p:

Card, Cross and Jones, Criminal Law, (18th edition), 2008, Oxford University Press.
McKendrick, Contract Law: Text, Cases and Materials, (3rd edition), 2008, Oxford University Press
Elliott and Quinn, English Legal System, (10th edition), Pearson Longman, 2009
W V H Rogers, Winfield & Jolowicz on Tort, (17th edition), Sweet & Maxwell 2006 or
J Murphy, Street on Torts, (12th edition), Oxford University Press, 2006

Thanks for any assistance :^_^:

NB. 1st year student
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Burrows - Casebook on Contract.

Buy it. No really, buy it - best textbook in existence by far
Iorek
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Lawstude)
Hey all,

I've been recommended these following books, and just wondered if anyone had any recommendations? :p:

Card, Cross and Jones, Criminal Law, (18th edition), 2008, Oxford University Press.
McKendrick, Contract Law: Text, Cases and Materials, (3rd edition), 2008, Oxford University Press
Elliott and Quinn, English Legal System, (10th edition), Pearson Longman, 2009
W V H Rogers, Winfield & Jolowicz on Tort, (17th edition), Sweet & Maxwell 2006 or
J Murphy, Street on Torts, (12th edition), Oxford University Press, 2006

Thanks for any assistance :^_^:

NB. 1st year student
Elliot & Quinn does a pretty good book on Torts as well, I'd highly recommend it as well.

For contracts, GH Treitel is an absolute must. Might not be necessary to buy though.

Criminal law. CCJ is okay as a 1st text, but don't forget to read Smith & Hogan,

ELS, G. Slapper is what I used, was alright. But I relied more on lecture notes and treated the text book as merely a framework. Still remains my only 1st

Just a hint on saving cost when buying text books. Generally speaking for Criminal Law, any edition that includes HRA that are post 2006 is sufficient. No real need to get the latest of editions.

Contracts, anything after 2002 is fine.

ELS, this one might be necessary to get the latest as it is unlikely older books will go in depth in regards to the Judicial Appointments Commission.

Torts, newer books are more simplified, but beyond that the contents aren't that far off.
andymt
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Mckendrick's books on contract are excellent, especially when suplemented with a casebook.
He explains everything clearly, yet includes enough criticism/commentary to give you good points for essays, without wasting time with loads of academic waffle which usually pisses students off
Good luck!
lawyer_manc
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
McKendrick is a brilliant straight forward book.
Lawstude
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
*Stupid question alarm*

Is it better to order these b4 Freshers' week to get ahead 'of the game', or better to just wait till freshers' week?
iheartlaw
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
McKendrick - excellent book.
Elliot and Quinn - an easy to understand book!
Rogers, Winfield & Jolowicz - good book but can be demanding a ttimes.
Murphy - fantastic book and easy to understand. If you struggle with any parts in Rogers, Winfield & Jolowicz then refer to this book or alternatively read a chapter in this book before you take on the other one!

It may be an idea to get "ahead of the game" and buy the books beforehand so you don't have to rush about trying to buy them or get them at a decent price.

Good luck!
230690Georgie230690
Report 9 years ago
Hey I'm applying to study Law at uni, just starting second gap year(due to first one being occupied with suffering with anorexia) and was wondering if anyone could recommend any good books i can get stuck into...or any advice in general that i could be doing in my second gap year....???
johnw1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I managed to pick up this lot in Oxfam today for combined price of £23... worth the money do you think? I've not been told my reading list yet so I guess I'm taking a bit of a risk...

ELS - (8th Ed.) Slapper and Kelly; Administrative Law (8th Ed.) PP Craig; Textbook on Contract Law ( 8th Ed.) Jill Poole; Constitutional and Administrative Law (8th Ed.) Allen and Thompson; Law of Tort (8th Ed.) John Cooke...

I saw Iorek thinks the ELS by Slapper and Kelly is ok but what about the others?
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by johnn1)
It is important to make sure your books are reasonably up to date because law develops fast. How useful those books are will depend on when they were published. You probably shouldn't use anything pre-04/05, and in all cases be sure to check lecture handouts for the most up-to-date stuff.
johnw1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jacketpotato)
It is important to make sure your books are reasonably up to date because law develops fast. How useful those books are will depend on when they were published. You probably shouldn't use anything pre-04/05, and in all cases be sure to check lecture handouts for the most up-to-date stuff.
Cheers for the advice. They're: 06 (ELS), 06 (contract), 05 (constitutional and admin), 07 (Tort) and 03 (admin). Doesn't seem too bad overall - I'm thinking if even one or two are useful it will have been worth doing since new law books seem to cost £20 plus each!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (112)
38.89%
No - but I will (13)
4.51%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.94%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (143)
49.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed