Will I Have Issues getting into Uni? Watch

emmaxoxo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'm worried that I might have issues getting into uni.

Basically I'm now a Yr 14 [doing my 3rd yr at Sixth Form], studying Further Maths [AS & A2 in 1yr - I will either have 6 or 7 modules]

Last Yr I studied Maths, Applied ICT and Biology. I hated Bio and wasn't allowed to drop it therefore I got a U at A2 -- which doesn't even count as a A Level so now I have only 2 A Levels.

These are my qualifications:

Maths A at A Level
Applied ICT C at A Level -- I am going to be resubmitting this work, as I was 1 mark off a B. So hopefully if should be a B by next yr.
Biology U at A Level
Biology e at AS Level
Chemistry e at AS Level

Rundown: ACee/ABee. Wanting at A at Further Maths, if not a B.

So by the end of next August I want AAB/ABB

TBH I chose all the wrong subjects to study, apart from Maths. So now I have gone back for a 3rd third yr, to get my grades up. So now I have done my A Levels over 3 yrs really instead of 2.

Will it reflect badly on me to Uni Admissions Tutors regarding my grades etc...

I don't have a clue what to write on my PS expect by passion for Maths, I didn't apply for Uni last yr, as I didn't want to go, but have now had a change of heart and want to go! I don't think I'm going to bother putting by Biology A2 grade on, but will have to put my Bio and Chem AS grades on, or it will look like I have done subjects over the past 2yrs.

I want to study Maths and Accounting [Dual Hons] at Uni, and looking at applying to either Lancaster, Sheffield, Keele, Loughborough or Exeter. They all want either AAB-ABB

Thanks
Simplicity
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by emmaxoxo)
I'm worried that I might have issues getting into uni.

Basically I'm now a Yr 14 [doing my 3rd yr at Sixth Form], studying Further Maths [AS & A2 in 1yr - I will either have 6 or 7 modules]

Last Yr I studied Maths, Applied ICT and Biology. I hated Bio and wasn't allowed to drop it therefore I got a U at A2 -- which doesn't even count as a A Level so now I have only 2 A Levels.

These are my qualifications:

Maths A at A Level
Applied ICT C at A Level -- I am going to be resubmitting this work, as I was 1 mark off a B. So hopefully if should be a B by next yr.
Biology U at A Level
Biology e at AS Level
Chemistry e at AS Level

Rundown: ACee/ABee. Wanting at A at Further Maths, if not a B.

So by the end of next August I want AAB/ABB

TBH I chose all the wrong subjects to study, apart from Maths. So now I have gone back for a 3rd third yr, to get my grades up. So now I have done my A Levels over 3 yrs really instead of 2.

Will it reflect badly on me to Uni Admissions Tutors regarding my grades etc...

I don't have a clue what to write on my PS expect by passion for Maths, I didn't apply for Uni last yr, as I didn't want to go, but have now had a change of heart and want to go! I don't think I'm going to bother putting by Biology A2 grade on, but will have to put my Bio and Chem AS grades on, or it will look like I have done subjects over the past 2yrs.

I want to study Maths and Accounting [Dual Hons] at Uni, and looking at applying to either Lancaster, Sheffield, Keele, Loughborough or Exeter. They all want either AAB-ABB

Thanks
I can't comment about the first question.

But, I would like to say that I had to repeat A levels. You have a A in maths so thats not that bad. If you can get a B in further maths then that would be okay. Anyway, yeah I failed a levels first time and just mention that on my ps saying I did the wrong subjects e.t.c. and I got offers from Manchester and York for maths.

Yeah, you will be okay if you work hard at further maths.
Revolution is my Name
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Simplicity)
I can't comment about the first question.

But, I would like to say that I had to repeat A levels. You have a A in maths so thats not that bad. If you can get a B in further maths then that would be okay. Anyway, yeah I failed a levels first time and just mention that on my ps saying I did the wrong subjects e.t.c. and I got offers from Manchester and York for maths.

Yeah, you will be okay if you work hard at further maths.
Wait a second, didn't you make a thread entitled "A Levels are easy", ranting about how easy you found them. And yet you failed them ? :lolwut:
Simplicity
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Revolution is my Name)
Wait a second, didn't you make a thread entitled "A Levels are easy", ranting about how easy you found them. And yet you failed them ? :lolwut:
I knew someone would quote me like that. Actually, it was really a change of career. I wanted to be an artist, but towards the second year I changed my mind and wanted to be a mathematician instead. Hence, repeating a levels.

Can we not derail this thread. If you want more anwsers PM me.
Rucklo
Badges: 13
Report 9 years ago
Will be in this situation next year so will be watching this thread .
The Muon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
As long as you have the required grades the other's aren't going to matter.
riotgrrrl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think the most useful answer is

You'll be fine getting into university, its just how high up the league tables are you aiming for?

I got ABBC and got into Lancaster easily with a D at AS maths (I don't know why I took it!)

TBH Its not just grades, the advice I would give is when choosing universities get all of the prospectus you possibly can, I mean ALL of them (just make sure you recycle them)

Then go through them, put them into piles of too low, same grade offers, too high. Then you know your chances for which unis, then look through courses, positionings etc. Aim to have one from the too low grades for a back up, a couple from the right grades, and maybe one from higher.

As long as you look for courses sensibly and don't expect to aim for Oxbridge or lower yourself to Thames Valley (those are based on predicted grades and not how 'good' an institution is) you'll find a course that suits you and then with a good PS youshould get offers and more importantly will enjoy the university you end up going to. Again, its important to stress there is no point aiming stupidly high then getting in and finding the course too difficult, the same its pointless going somewhere where you won't be stretched and enjoy it.

If you really find a uni that is perfect but you are worried about your grades because you are in year 14 etc., then go to an open day by yourself and catch up with an admissions tutor for the department, they'll be lurking around and its always good to ask them.
qgujxj39
Report 9 years ago
I know a bloke who was in almost exactly the same situation as you, and I think he got into Lancaster for maths.
Anon the 7th
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
you shouldn't do, providing you get that B in further maths

as Simplicity said, you can still get offers from decent unis after resitting A-Levels
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (329)
37.3%
No - but I will (71)
8.05%
No - I don't want to (63)
7.14%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (419)
47.51%

Watched Threads