The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
FusterCluck
I'm at Northumbria and I reckon that it's certainly a contender.

Any others?

Notts Trent! No doubt about it :smile:
King4eva
lol , surrey wasnt a poly.

EDIT: o **** it was

haha i thought that too :p:

i wonder if any ex poly haters are at surrey lmao
FusterCluck

Any others?

Oxford Brookes :smile:
Reply 123
FusterCluck

Any others?

Nottingham Trent!
King4eva
notts trent

Emmy1102
Notts Trent! No doubt about it :smile:

xzoe18x
Nottingham Trent!

Hell yeahs!
As voted the best post 1992 university! :biggrin:
FusterCluck

Any others?

probably nottingham trent, hull, kent and oxford brookes
FusterCluck

Any others?

bournemouth!!!
Tsukuyomi

Neither Hull or Kent are ex poly's.
Tsukuyomi

Hull isnt an ex-poly.
Tsukuyomi

Hull and Kent are both respectable plate-glass universities?

The other two are good candidates for good ex-polys, though. A lot of it is down to the course - some ex-polys offer courses that are ranked in the top echelons of the country. Aside from OB and NT, Bournemouth, Plymouth, UWE and Northumbria are all pretty damn decent.
Aphotic Cosmos
Hull and Kent are both respectable plate-glass universities?

The other two are good candidates for good ex-polys, though. A lot of it is down to the course - some ex-polys offer courses that are ranked in the top echelons of the country. Aside from OB and NT, Bournemouth, Plymouth, UWE and Northumbria are all pretty damn decent.

Kent is plate glass and Hull is red brick.
Joel4fun4u
Kent is plate glass and Hull is red brick.

1927 founded, 1954 university status. I'd say it could be described as either.
Aphotic Cosmos
1927 founded, 1954 university status. I'd say it could be described as either.

meh hull is reffered to as a redbrick in the same way Leicster can be plus plate glass: one of the several universities founded in the United Kingdom in the 1960s
FusterCluck

Any others?

Oxford Brookes, probably. I've got three or four friends there now and apparently it's really good.
Reply 134
james_dow
meh hull is reffered to as a redbrick in the same way Leicster can be plus plate glass: one of the several universities founded in the United Kingdom in the 1960s

I thought the term "red brick" was reserved for 6 universities: Liverpool (the original), Bristol, Birmingham, Leeds, Sheffield, and Manchester (though I'm not sure now what Manchester is classed as...).

Various universities fall into an ambiguous realm of being younger than the proper redbricks, but older than the plateglass universities (Reading, Newcastle, I guess Hull etc).

I don't think a university with a 1954 chartership can be called "red brick" since redbricks emerged from around 1900-1910, as the first wave of new universities that post-date the so-called "ancients" (Oxford, Cambridge, St Andrews, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Glasgow, and perhaps Dublin).
Reply 135
FusterCluck

Any others?

Loughborough?
Reply 136
T. Hereford
Who said KCL was bad? :confused:

I thought KCL has been always regarded as an excellent and prestigous university.

If by "prestige" posters simply mean league table position, then KCL is the underdog, insofar as it is consistently beneath ICL, UCL & LSE (who have always been in the "top 10" off all general league tables, bar once occasin where UCL popped out to 11th or something). I think KCL is lumped together with the other good universities that jostle for attention outside of the G5 (Bristol, Durham, Edinburgh, St Andrews, York, etc)
Reply 137
flugestuge
It is generally regarded as significantly inferior to LSE, Imperial and UCL.
However, as I posted earlier, it is reasonable for a couple of subjects like Law and War Studies.
Therefore, it is well worth applying for if your marks are not at Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial or UCL levels.

From what I gather, KCL is particularly strong in medicine, with an incredibly famous institute of psychiatry.

As I said in my previous post, I think KCL is basically in the group that may be considered as an alternative to the G5.
Blooroo
KCL is the underdog, insofar as it is consistently beneath ICL, UCL & LSE

Even though it is not highly regarded, it is actually reasonable for some courses.

Latest

Trending

Trending