Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok I have a more specific question below, but anyone know of any revision notes for this unit 4? Or synoptic?

Righty, question time - i'm a little stuck! June 03 Section B Q1

Allow me to try and explain:

Microwave Transmitter ||--->____|Detector|->_________| Metal Plate

Detector moves up and down to find Maxima and Minima.

'The detector is placed at a position where the intensity is a minimum. When it is moved a distance of 144mm it passes through 9 maxima and reaches the 9th minima from the starting point. Calculate the wavelength of Minima's...'

Now I thought aha! distance between minima = 1 wavelength therefore 144x10^3 / 9, but apparently in this situation there half a wavelength apart. Is this due to reflection/stationary wave etc?? Help!

ReputationRep:
    think of it as a wave on a graph (e.g sin graph) where the x axis is the middle and the waves are above and below.

each peak of the graph is a maxima and whenever the graph touches the x axis is a minma.

at least that's how i see it, i may be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    This helped me understand that question (doing same syllabus):

http://faraday.physics.utoronto.ca/I...h/reflect.html

That is whats actually happening, as the waves are reflected off the metal screen.

Looking at that animation, ingore what each wave is doing, only look at the sum of the waves (the black wave), the distance between maxima and minima are the same, and are both half a wavelength. The sum of the two waves is also as standing wave, the markscheme gives a mark for this somewhere, i think.

ReputationRep:
    http://antonine-education.co.uk/physics_module_4.htm
    These notes are great! Also has notes on other aqa modules

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the antonine-education.. notes are very useful, and stick right to the syllabus. Good luck for tomorrow! (I sure as hell am going to need some luck..)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharXlotte)
    Yeah the antonine-education.. notes are very useful, and stick right to the syllabus. Good luck for tomorrow! (I sure as hell am going to need some luck..)
    Well they are mostly in line with the syllabus, but some parts seem to go into too much detail and it lacks some basic definitions but much better than anything else (at least for medical physics!)

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 15, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.