Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just sat my first History GCSE yesterday on AQA and, long story short, I really messed up due to time.

Does anyone know if it's possible to repeat a GCSE on AQA? I have no intention of repeating the whole year over this on exam, but if I could repeat this one exam, that would be great. If you can do this, does anyone know when?

ReputationRep:
    AQA ones are usually in November although some are in Jan/Feb. Youll have to ask your school about which subjects are when

ReputationRep:
    I did it with English. That was because I needed an A for university, though. Unless the courses you apply to require a higher grade at GCSE (which is unlikely) then I wouldn't worry about it.

But yes, you can resit.

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I also ssat the GCSE in History [Paper 1] yesterday and messed up very considerably because of the time.

Basically, AQA allow you to carry foprward your moderated coursework marks if you would like, but this has to be within a twelve month period if it is just the 2 written papers you would like to have another go at next year. However, if you decide to leave it more than one year, then you have to do an additional written paper instead of coursework. I qwould talk to your schools' exams officer and explain the situation - they might be willing to enter you when they do the enteries for next year's year 11 students - tghey may even pay thwe entry fee for you, but if not thebn it isn't two expensive - £12.50 I think. If this is not successful, then you might consider contacting another local secondary school in your area to see if they will enter you; youmight require a reference from your school though so that this will demonstrate you're trustworthy. You might like to write to AQA for a copy of ''Supplimentary Guidance for Private Candidates''.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by October Project)
    I just sat my first History GCSE yesterday on AQA and, long story short, I really messed up due to time.

Does anyone know if it's possible to repeat a GCSE on AQA? I have no intention of repeating the whole year over this on exam, but if I could repeat this one exam, that would be great. If you can do this, does anyone know when?
    I always make that mistake, spending too long on question worth only 4 or 5 marks. Then on the last question you find yourself only 10 minutes for a 10 mark question. And of course you can retake them, you just have to wait for the next terminal paper to be produced which may take up to a years

ReputationRep:
    "I always make that mistake, spending too long on question worth only 4 or 5 marks."

SAmeeeeeeeeeee. ='[.

ReputationRep:

Did you do AQA B?? I messed up with time management too. I did the Treaty of Versailles question and wrote over a page for a 6 mark question about the aims of Clemennceau and Wilson :rolleyes: - I then ran out of time and had to seriously rush the Britain in 2nd World War question - which should have been easy marks.....

ReputationRep:
    Well, this is what I did...

I was trying to decide which question to do: either the one which showed Hitler in the car, or the one with Stalin during the Airlift. I misread the 10 mark question in the Stalin question, thought it looked harder than the Hitler one, and so did the Hitler question.

When I had did everything but the 10 mark question, I realized that I had made a mistake, and I knew more about the Stalin 10 mark question. I glanced at the time, completely forgot I still had a WW1 question to do, and thought "Oh I have loads of time!" crossed out all I had done for the Hitler question and started on the Stalin one.

I was halfway through the first section when we were told we should be moving onto the WW1 question.

I almost died.

And...it went downhill from there, basically. Everything was rushed and the worst part was, I thought the paper was easy; I would have done so well if I hadn't of been such a dumbass.

ReputationRep:
    Well, this is what I did...

I was trying to decide which question to do: either the one which showed Hitler in the car, or the one with Stalin during the Airlift. I misread the 10 mark question in the Stalin question, thought it looked harder than the Hitler one, and so did the Hitler question.

When I had did everything but the 10 mark question, I realized that I had made a mistake, and I knew more about the Stalin 10 mark question. I glanced at the time, completely forgot I still had a WW1 question to do, and thought "Oh I have loads of time!" crossed out all I had done for the Hitler question and started on the Stalin one.

I was halfway through the first section when we were told we should be moving onto the WW1 question.

I almost died.

And...it went downhill from there, basically. Everything was rushed and the worst part was, I thought the paper was easy; I would have done so well if I hadn't of been such a dumbass.
    At least you were told that you should be moving on. We don't get that so I always get carried away and don't move on "until it's too late". I totally agree about it being an easy paper. The only bad thing was the time, the lack of time resulted in a) me not thinking things through carefully b) rushing and making later answers in the paper shorter and c) having rediculously rushed handwriting, probably illegible. I also could not decide between the Hitler question or Berlin Blockade question - it took me about 5 mins to decide and I got halfway through the Hitler one and then decided I wished I had done the other one

ReputationRep:
    Yeah unless you need it for college it's not worth re-taking it and presumably you've got another test to redeem yourself in. With OCR we have coursework and two test contributing. However many colleges only let you re-take english and maths but you don't need to have done GCSE to do history at college.

ReputationRep:
    If you re sit, say English. Even if you do it at another school, do you still get to use the same lit and lang texts, or do you have to learn new ones. This would be hard without a teacher.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.