Got A levels do I need to do an access course? Watch

mh1985
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hello

I was thinking of doing History or Law at a Uni near me (either Leeds or York)

My grades are ABC in German, History and Music Tech(!) and AS Spanish grade C.

Do you think I could get in on those grades alone as a mature student? I'm currently 24, I've not got any experience of working within law however and if not what access course do you need to study to study law (guessing humanities)?

Thanks
Matt
warrenpenalver
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
check the unis requirements.

If you have the UCAS points then should be ok.

My uni didnt have a problem with accepting my a levels which are 11 years old. But that was for psychology.
Suis Je Bovvered ?
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by mh1985)
Hello

I was thinking of doing History or Law at a Uni near me (either Leeds or York)

My grades are ABC in German, History and Music Tech(!) and AS Spanish grade C.

Do you think I could get in on those grades alone as a mature student? I'm currently 24, I've not got any experience of working within law however and if not what access course do you need to study to study law (guessing humanities)?

Thanks
Matt
Depends where you wanted to go. Oxbridge, no....any top 5 uni, i'd have to say no. But if you aren't too fussy about where you go, i'd say a lot of unis would take you to study both history or law with those grades

Access courses are really for people who don't have level 3 (A'level) qualifications, so i'd skip the access and apply to unis through ucas, in your case
mh1985
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Thank you both for the replies!

(Original post by Suis Je Bovvered ?)
Depends where you wanted to go. Oxbridge, no....any top 5 uni, i'd have to say no. But if you aren't too fussy about where you go, i'd say a lot of unis would take you to study both history or law with those grades
I am fussy about where I go in that I want to go to the best place possible with my grades. I used to go to Manchester Uni and it might just be my pride talking but I will feel like I let myself down if I don't go somewhere at least around that level. Oxbridge/Top 5 would be nice, but I don't think they will have me.

But that said, if I don't go at all then...hmm it's a tough decision

Ideally I would want to go to Leeds or York, because I live there, or somewhere like Newcastle/Sheffield

Thanks
Matt
mumto3
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
I'M on an Access course and a 24 yr old girl on my course has 4 alevels AABB, started uni did a yr, changed her mind and went traveling.
She has had to do Access because she's been out of education. So you'll have to check with the uni.
WokSz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you're aiming for Oxbridge and maybe around that area (Durham, London Unis, etc...) then you may need to re-sit your A-levels. Although Access courses are good, many of the top Unis prefer A-levels. Why not give it a go and take evening classes or something? A-levels are honestly not as hard as you might think.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (371)
37.29%
No - but I will (75)
7.54%
No - I don't want to (70)
7.04%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (479)
48.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed