Advice please- going abroad to meet someone Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Ok, I'll try to keep this as brief as possible.

I've been talking to this guy online for a few months. He lives in the US and he's 2 years younger than me (I'm 19, he's 17)
He is pretty much obsessed with me, tells me he loves me and stuff, which I don't believe is possible when you haven't met somone in person. He basically doesn't have a social life in real life, was home schooled, etc. so to him online relationships are as good as real.
Anyway, so he sent me $520 in the post to book a flight to come visit him in the US. It would be to go in April next year, for about 10 days. I have come close to booking it but would like some advice first.
The way I see it, my options are either send the money back to him or go, and basically have a free holiday. I've talked to my friends about it and they have said he could be dangerous, etc. but I'm pretty certain he's harmless, & I have seen him on webcam, etc.
It has been suggested that I just keep the money he sent and just block him & cease all contact with him. I'm not really mean enough to do that though.

What should I do? I'm thinking I'll book the flights and just go. What's the worst that could happen? Am I being crazy by thinking of actually doing it?
Any opinions would be appreciated
Sakura-Chan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What's the worst that could happen? You could get raped, beaten up, held captive by him and/or his psycho family, get killed, left at the airport or end up stranded at his house.

I'd strongly advise you not to do this. If he's that keen on meeting you that he'd seen you £300-ish, then surely he'd be willing to come to the UK. The whole thing sounds weird. You've only been talking to him for a few months after all.

Don't do it, there's a world of difference between meeting up with someone you've met online that live in the same country as you, you could take a friend along with you in that situation and you'd wouldn't have to travel across the Atlantic to get home. He's nothing to you, you don't need to save him from his sheltered life as a poor lonely home schooled boy with no friends, don't risk it.
kersme
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You are probably the dumbest person ive come across in a while. If you actually go you get 1st place.
VanillaCat
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Sakura-Chan)
What's the worst that could happen? You could get raped, beaten up, held captive by him and/or his psycho family, get killed, left at the airport or end up stranded at his house.

I'd strongly advise you not to do this. If he's that keen on meeting you that he'd seen you £300-ish, then surely he'd be willing to come to the UK. The whole thing sounds weird. You've only been talking to him for a few months after all.

Don't do it, there's a world of difference between meeting up with someone you've met online that live in the same country as you, you could take a friend along with you in that situation and you'd wouldn't have to travel across the Atlantic to get home. He's nothing to you, you don't need to save him from his sheltered life as a poor lonely home schooled boy with no friends, don't risk it.
I totally agree. You're thousands of miles away from home, there is no way you could escape if it all went wrong. Plus, no offence, but he sounds like a loser - especially since he tells you he loves you and he's never met you. You really don't want to risk it.
wanderlust.xx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by kersme)
You are probably the dumbest person ive come across in a while. If you actually go you get 1st place.
This.

It's also why my parents walk into my room every 5 minutes when I'm typing, asking, "ARE YOU TALKING TO A RAPIST?!"

Honestly, mother, if I was, I'd be as stupid as you.
lionella
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
don't do it!! ur making too many dangerous assumptions!
n y did u even give him your address!?
now there's nothing stopping him from comin over n knocking down ur door...he's sounds obsessive!
send bk the money for sure! you don't wanna be in anyone's debt!
n what if it's some old pervert who uses his son for the webcam...be careful OP!

seriously way too dangerous, even if he's telling the truth he may have stalkerish tendencies!
impervious
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You have two options that are sensible.
1. Tear up the cheque / send the money back to him
2. Keep the money for yourself.
lou8liz
Report 9 years ago
I've been to meet people abroad before on my own. But the different is that I had met them once before in real life, and I had spoken to them for a year before I went. I'm afraid this situation sounds a little bit too risky for you to act on. What could be a free holiday could end up being awful.... I know there's only a small possibility that it could go horribly wrong, but the possibility is big enough for it being a good reason for you not to go. If that makes sense. Unfortunately the fact that he sent you a large sum of money and has declared his love for you, makes this even more complicated. It wouldn't really be a great holiday if you have a younger guy pining after you for 10 days? I've been in this situation, and I tell you it's not! It's just annoying. Haha. Good luck though!
ZeroRayne
Report 9 years ago
The question is...don't you have anyone closer that you like , no offence...but...its better to be safe than sorry
VanillaCat
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Can I also add, that if he sent you that much money he's an idiot. And also, he's done that to lure you in, I reckon.
If he's got your address, you're ******.
Teenamja
Report 9 years ago
My best friend has been abroad to meet people twice: South Korea and Paraguay, two countries totally alien to her, but her situation was different as they were just friends and there was no declaration of love and certainly no sending of money to her address [she paid for herself]. If I were you I would seriously consider the genuity of this situation. Lots of people have said they love somebody on the Internet, but trust me, our interpretation of what somebody types to you on a computer screen is very different to actually meeting that person in real life. Most of us are from the generation of 'Internet relationships', where 'making friends' can be easy and exciting, but you have to remember that you could never truly know somebody you've never actually met. Well, it's just my opinion, but from my experience people just get caught in the moment on the Internet and say things they don't really mean. It might be something very akward and even dangerous that you'll regret.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (139)
38.19%
No - but I will (20)
5.49%
No - I don't want to (26)
7.14%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (179)
49.18%

Watched Threads