traffic light confusion Watch

Funkymonkey21
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
this has confused me for a while, but i seem to have manage to avoid it (until tonight :mad: ) and admittedly i want a bit of a rant..

if your going on a straight two-way road, and you want to turn right at traffic lights, how do you know if the traffic coming towards you will stop or not?

this was the situation that happened before...
i was driving down the road and went into the right hand lane to turn right. as i approached, the traffic lights went green and the car infront turned straight away. the cars coming towards me were a reasonable bit away, apart from one idiot (:mad: ) who was blasting down the road at a good 50/60mph on a 30 road (i didnt realise just how fast he was going until it was too late). he was going so fast he went past the cars that were closest to me (who were far enough away from me so i could turn infront of them). admittedly, i did think that it was ok for me to turn because it was on green (it didnt have one of them green arrows that light up when you can turn, it just went green for both cars turning and cars going straight on), but they were obviously on green too and the car going fast carried on at the same speed and decided to blast the horn at me (why people do that and not slow down is beyond me).

so... if you approach traffic lights and your wanting to turn right, how do you know if the cars coming towards you are on green or red? because it seems to me that theres no indication at all it gets to the point where if you go for it and put your foot down, you get beeped. and if you sit there waiting to see if the people coming towards you are going to stop, you get beeped from the car behind because your light is on green.
so is there a system? or is it just guess work?
Anon the 7th
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
this happened to me once and my instructor had to brake :erm:

basically, you don't know and just have to approach the right turn after the lights have gone green carefully to check if the traffic on the other side moves or not

i hate it sitting there for ages until their light goes red :stomp:

only a couple of cars get to turn right if they're lucky
Funkymonkey21
Rep:
?
yeah it happened to me on my lesson years ago and ive always been careful since. it confused me with the car infront going straight away, and the cars were going fairly slow apart from that one idiot, so i wouldve got away with it.
its awful if you dont know the place well, because everyone else expects you to know and when your a bit slow because your not sure, your guaranteed that someone will beep you.
i'll have to be more careful from now on! altho i do think they should change it. i dont understand why some have the green arrow and some dont. its just confusing
Anon the 7th
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Funkymonkey21)
yeah it happened to me on my lesson years ago and ive always been careful since. it confused me with the car infront going straight away, and the cars were going fairly slow apart from that one idiot, so i wouldve got away with it.
its awful if you dont know the place well, because everyone else expects you to know and when your a bit slow because your not sure, your guaranteed that someone will beep you.
i'll have to be more careful from now on! altho i do think they should change it. i dont understand why some have the green arrow and some dont. its just confusing
i know

they seriously need to sort it out

i think whenever your traffic light goes green, you should be able to just go without any other traffic coming towards you and stopping you from going. otherwise the traffic lights seem a bit pointless

sort it out road people!
Tofufi
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's not rocket science. If you have priority to turn right, with the vehicles coming from the other direction being stopped, there will be an illuminated arrow pointing to the right.

The (non directional) green light just allows you to cross the line. You then treat the turning right part as if it were a normal T junction or crossroads without traffic lights.
dmae
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Anon the 7th)
i know

they seriously need to sort it out

i think whenever your traffic light goes green, you should be able to just go without any other traffic coming towards you and stopping you from going. otherwise the traffic lights seem a bit pointless

sort it out road people!
I know what you mean but more complicated traffic lights would create more traffic jams. If you are experienced you can easily tell when can you go and when it's dangerous to do so. Just drive and it will get easier with time =)
Funkymonkey21
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tofufi)
It's not rocket science. If you have priority to turn right, with the vehicles coming from the other direction being stopped, there will be an illuminated arrow pointing to the right.

The (non directional) green light just allows you to cross the line. You then treat the turning right part as if it were a normal T junction or crossroads without traffic lights.
ahh.. so if theres no green arrow, the other cars wont stop? i thought some didnt have arrows if the cars the other way were on red.
i dont know, its too confusing. theres enough things to worry about than looking if theres a green arrow or not
Maloney
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If theres only a green circle on its own = You can only turn when there are no on-comming vehicles.

If theres a green arrow pointing into the turning = You can turn freely. Vehicles on the opposite should stop (they'll have a red light).

The amount of cases I get with lights is mahussive! You just need to always be cautoius because they will sometimes try and jump the light (even if theres a green arrow pointing for you)
Anon the 7th
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by dmae)
I know what you mean but more complicated traffic lights would create more traffic jams. If you are experienced you can easily tell when can you go and when it's dangerous to do so. Just drive and it will get easier with time =)
oh yeah im ok now

just in lessons and the days after passing my test i had trouble at first

but im all good now...well with the roads i know! :p:
dmae
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It is not always like that. I have seen junctions with green arrows where you still have to watch out for oncoming traffic.
Tofufi
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
ahh.. so if theres no green arrow, the other cars wont stop? i thought some didnt have arrows if the cars the other way were on red.
i dont know, its too confusing. theres enough things to worry about than looking if theres a green arrow or not
If it is just a green circular light, you treat it like a normal junction without traffic lights.

The green arrow pointing right is the only time the vehicles coming the other way towards you will stop.

If you can't be observant enough to notice the traffic light types, are you sure you should be driving?

Just take it slowly and think everything through on those junctions...
Anon the 7th
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by dmae)
It is not always like that. I have seen junctions with green arrows where you still have to watch out for oncoming traffic.
me too i have seen that and was thinking :hmmm:
Tofufi
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by dmae)
There is not a single junction in the UK with a green arrow which would encourage you to cross the path of oncoming traffic when the oncoming traffic has a green light.

There are some with green arrows for straight on and left, and an additional arrow (which is only lit up some of the time) for turning right, but the right turn arrow will only be lit when oncoming traffic is stopped.

I challenge you to find me a UK junction where that happens (Google streetview or similar )
dobbs
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by dmae)
As someone working in Transport Planning I can say that either a) you're lying as that would not pass a safety audit and no sane signals engineer would allow that; b) something's gone massively wrong and you need to report this to your local authority so they can sort it out as it will inevitably end in disaster, or c) you've somehow got confused by the junction.

And as someone else said, it's not rocket science. A green indicative arrow shows that there will be no conflicting traffic movement for you to make your turn. WHO said "you've got enough to think about without having to look for a green arrow"....errr..it's not hard to see a bright illuminated green arrow which will be directly under, to the left, or to the right of the green light that you would've been looking at in the first place.

You should've learned the basics of signalised junctions in your driving lessons!
Funkymonkey21
Rep:
?
why must people be rude on here?! i was only asking a simple question!
dmae
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I challenge you to find me a UK junction where that happens (Google streetview or similar )
Well I wont say I am 100% sure (and I cant be bothered to drive there now), but this place is not far from my home:

If you are going down (so from right on the picture) from Hele Rd and want to turn into Broomhill Way there is a green arrow that will be green when traffic is going up Hele Rd (and traffic in Broomhill Way is on red) and red when cars from Broomhill Way are turning left or right.
callumd
Report 9 years ago
this has confused me for a while, but i seem to have manage to avoid it (until tonight :mad: ) and admittedly i want a bit of a rant..

if your going on a straight two-way road, and you want to turn right at traffic lights, how do you know if the traffic coming towards you will stop or not?

this was the situation that happened before...
i was driving down the road and went into the right hand lane to turn right. as i approached, the traffic lights went green and the car infront turned straight away. the cars coming towards me were a reasonable bit away, apart from one idiot (:mad: ) who was blasting down the road at a good 50/60mph on a 30 road (i didnt realise just how fast he was going until it was too late). he was going so fast he went past the cars that were closest to me (who were far enough away from me so i could turn infront of them). admittedly, i did think that it was ok for me to turn because it was on green (it didnt have one of them green arrows that light up when you can turn, it just went green for both cars turning and cars going straight on), but they were obviously on green too and the car going fast carried on at the same speed and decided to blast the horn at me (why people do that and not slow down is beyond me).

so... if you approach traffic lights and your wanting to turn right, how do you know if the cars coming towards you are on green or red? because it seems to me that theres no indication at all it gets to the point where if you go for it and put your foot down, you get beeped. and if you sit there waiting to see if the people coming towards you are going to stop, you get beeped from the car behind because your light is on green.
so is there a system? or is it just guess work?

UNLESS there is traffic light with a right turn arrow at the junction, you should ALWAYS expect give way to oncoming traffic at a crossroads.

I am VERY shocked you don't know this. You should look at the highway code and your theory again.

also PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE watch this video

http://www.2pass.co.uk/trafficlights-turn.htm

please explore the site on anything else you are ensure of and drive safe.

:yep:
Tofufi
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
why must people be rude on here?! i was only asking a simple question!
I don't feel I was being rude, but it does actually scare me slightly that people are able to pass driving tests whilst not knowing what I consider to be fairly basic rules of the road.

I drive a fair few miles in a very slow vehicle which takes a lot of time to get up to speed, so people making me slow down or doing daft maneuvers (like not understanding traffic lights or roundabouts) can make my drive slightly frustrating at times - even if I'm not in a hurry, someone cutting you up can scare the crap out of you when you're driving something with awful brakes...
Funkymonkey21
Rep:
?
i know the basic rules of the road, and i wasnt actually told that on my lessons.
i had the same problem then and he had to brake for me. when i asked him how you know if the people coming towards you are on red or not, he said you dont know, you just have to be careful. so to me, there wasnt a way of knowing, because i wasnt taught it.
and when i said too many things to think about heres a brief list of the stupid things people have done in the past 2 weeks or so... walk out right infront of me as im waiting to turn, walking out infront of me as im actually driving, people going way too fast to stop (so then ive got to slow down while obviously thinking if the person behind me will stop), people taking corners so quick they end up on my side of the road... i could go on, but i think you get my point?
oh and sorry tofufi, i meant dobbs was being rude. apologies!
again... i asked my driving instructor when i was learning years ago. he didnt know, so i thought it was guess work.
dmae
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i know the basic rules of the road, and i wasnt actually told that on my lessons.
i had the same problem then and he had to brake for me. when i asked him how you know if the people coming towards you are on red or not, he said you dont know, you just have to be careful. so to me, there wasnt a way of knowing, because i wasnt taught it.
and when i said too many things to think about heres a brief list of the stupid things people have done in the past 2 weeks or so... walk out right infront of me as im waiting to turn, walking out infront of me as im actually driving, people going way too fast to stop (so then ive got to slow down while obviously thinking if the person behind me will stop), people taking corners so quick they end up on my side of the road... i could go on, but i think you get my point?
oh and sorry tofufi, i meant dobbs was being rude. apologies!
again... i asked my driving instructor when i was learning years ago. he didnt know, so i thought it was guess work.

Well even if I am wrong and oncoming traffic is always stopped when you have a green arrow I think you should always make sure that it is safe to go even if it means making people behind you being angry =)

Safety first eh?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads