Parking Watch

eleanormahmoud
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hey all

Im bringing my car with me to uni this year, and am staying in Whiteknights Hall. I understand parking is limited at halls so i would need to get a permit but its unlikely i would get one etc etc which is fine, as long as i can park somewhere close enough.

i.e. i dont mind at all parking in some of the roads nearby to halls? A short walk is fine, just not too far of a night etc. So is this alright to do, we dont need a permit for areas around there do we?
Thanks
Tom Gilchrist
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You can park on some of the roads around campus

Just be wary of double yellow lines and restricted residents areas!
eleanormahmoud
Rep:
?
Ok great, thanks for your help! :-)
Gilly Gillett
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I did read somewhere that you need a permit if you're parked on any of the roads within a mile of campus. I could be making that up but I'm SURE I read something like that!

"Please note that it is a breach of the terms and conditions of your residency to park a car within one mile of the Whiteknights campus without an appropriate parking permit" - from the stuff I got with my accommodation offer.
eleanormahmoud
Rep:
?
Ahhhh yeh I read something like that too which is why i wanted to ask, i thought it was a bit silly to have that tho! A mile?!?! I didnt know if that was completely true tho.
Surely they cant expect people to not bring cars or park a mile away?
Hmmmmm bit confusing! :confused:
deleted
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by eleanormahmoud)
Yep they can - just think about how many students there are then add teaching staff, library staff, nursery staff....all of whom may well want to bring their car with them! You also can't get an on-sight parking permit if you live within...I think it's three miles! But you should be alright just apply early!
Gilly Gillett
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by eleanormahmoud)
Ahhhh yeh I read something like that too which is why i wanted to ask, i thought it was a bit silly to have that tho! A mile?!?! I didnt know if that was completely true tho.
I didn't think it'd be true either, but I suppose if the uni manages the parking around campus? I dunno. It does seem odd, but hey, its on stuff from the uni so can but trust it!

(Original post by deleted)
But you should be alright just apply early!
Nothing I've had from them so far suggests that its a first come first served thing - it's on a need basis instead, or at least it is on Park Group. But, I imagine you'll be able to get an off campus permit pretty easy, and then just fight for a space?!
Shall have to wait and see!
vinylate
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You deffo won't need a car to get to campus if you're staying at Whiteknights anyway - it's literally like a 2min walk, lol.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Reading
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Reading
    Master's Lunch Postgraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Reading
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Jun '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (413)
37.75%
No - but I will (83)
7.59%
No - I don't want to (75)
6.86%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (523)
47.81%

Watched Threads