Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm choosing my A Levels, and can't decide between Physica or French at all! I'm absolutely equal in both! Anyone doing both/either and can tell me how hard each is? ANY help would be great!

ReputationRep:
    I had *exactly* the same decision to make this time last year! I chose physics, which I'm glad about as it's not been too difficult even though I have only put about 50% effort in.

If you're thinking of doing maths and further maths, I would personally advise physics!!

I'm biased, C in GCSE french and doing physics AS.... but physics! :p:

ReputationRep:
    what do you want to do at uni (if you know?)

ReputationRep:
    I want to do Medicine, which in that case Physics would probably be more beneficial...but I love French and although I like physics it sounds really corny but i can't bear to drop it. Would i do ok in AS Physics if im getting 80% at GCSE?

(Original post by Piggy)
    I want to do Medicine, which in that case Physics would probably be more beneficial...but I love French and although I like physics it sounds really corny but i can't bear to drop it. Would i do ok in AS Physics if im getting 80% at GCSE?
    What do you call ok?

ReputationRep:
    for medicine you need chemistry most definitely, physics wont get you very far in that case.......

ReputationRep:
    OK as in getting an A. I'm already doing Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Critical Thinking and Chemistry - just this extra subject needs deciding!

ReputationRep:
    That is already 5AS's which is 1 more than most people do. Are you being forced to do critical thinking?

And as for your question about doing OK, it is hard to tell because GCSEs are nt a ood way of telling if you can do A Levels or not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shyopstv)
    That is already 5AS's which is 1 more than most people do. Are you being forced to do critical thinking?
    lol yeh, I would've prefered to take French instead of CT but alas.

ReputationRep:
    Physics isn't necessary for medicine and a lot of medical schools now prefer you to have a range of subjects, so in that respect, French would be better. I'm biased though as I got an A* in GCSE French, now doing AS and absolutely love it, not to mention the fact that I hate science. It is a big step up from GCSE, but it's a lot more interesting and really rewarding. You get to learn about the culture and the country a lot more. There's much more vocab to learn and the grammar gets more complicated, but if you put the work in, you should be fine. Just do what you enjoy more and will do better in. By the way, you're doing a lot of subjects! :eek: Any more questions about French, feel free to reply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    Physics isn't necessary for medicine and a lot of medical schools now prefer you to have a range of subjects, so in that respect, French would be better. I'm biased though as I got an A* in GCSE French, now doing AS and absolutely love it, not to mention the fact that I hate science. It is a big step up from GCSE, but it's a lot more interesting and really rewarding. You get to learn about the culture and the country a lot more. There's much more vocab to learn and the grammar gets more complicated, but if you put the work in, you should be fine. Just do what you enjoy more and will do better in. By the way, you're doing a lot of subjects! :eek: Any more questions about French, feel free to reply
    thanks, that was really useful! Ok, would you go as far as saying that the gap between GCSE French and AS French is the largest out of all the subjects? I'm really scared of starting the course and then realising that I'm rubbish at it!

ReputationRep:
    Physics. Career move.

Nothing against French.

Aitch [B.A. French!]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piggy)
    thanks, that was really useful! Ok, would you go as far as saying that the gap between GCSE French and AS French is the largest out of all the subjects? I'm really scared of starting the course and then realising that I'm rubbish at it!
    Well it's larger than English lit and history (I didn't do GCSE scoiology) and languages have a reputation for being hard at A-level, but judging by the other subjects you've chosen, that probably won't be a problem for you! I think really it's because if get a C at GCSE in a subject like English lit or history, it's quite possible to do well at A-level, but students with a C in French would really struggle. The others in my class got Bs and will probably come out with Ds and Es, but having said that, my brother got an A* at GCSE and only a C at AS. It's because he did next to no work though. The main difference between GCSE and A-level, not just in French but other subjects as well, is that at GCSE it's not difficult to get good grades even if you don't do that much work, but at A-level that rarely happens.

If you know what exam board you'd be following, have a look at the specification/student's guide on their website. I think OCR and AQA have past papers you can look at too, but Edexcel are muppets so they don't :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aitch)
    Physics. Career move.

Nothing against French.

Aitch [B.A. French!]
    Lol, well no-one could accuse you of bias! :p: I thought employers really liked languages though? Or is that just something teachers say to get you to take them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    Lol, well no-one could accuse you of bias! :p: I thought employers really liked languages though? Or is that just something teachers say to get you to take them?
    Lol, it depends on which job really...its true about the career move. I need to decide whether I think it's more important to choose a subject better for me career wise, or choose one which i really enjoy for the next two years...sigh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piggy)
    Lol, it depends on which job really...its true about the career move. I need to decide whether I think it's more important to choose a subject better for me career wise, or choose one which i really enjoy for the next two years...sigh.
    I say the one you really enjoy. If you don't enjoy a subject, you won't do as much work for it and won't do as well. At the end of the day, it's the grades that universities and employers will be looking at, not the subject.

ReputationRep:
    I do both and it depends on what you want to do and which uni you wanna go to.

French looks great cos its a language, traditionally one of the hardest things you can do.

On the other hand, physics is seen as prestigious and the lack of students mean you can get good career prospects.

I would go for physics, more fun and do you really wanna learn a language for another 2 years???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jr2007)
    I do both and it depends on what you want to do and which uni you wanna go to.

French looks great cos its a language, traditionally one of the hardest things you can do.

On the other hand, physics is seen as prestigious and the lack of students mean you can get good career prospects.

I would go for physics, more fun and do you really wanna learn a language for another 2 years???
    Did I just hear....physics and.....FUN???!!! in the same sentence?????!!!!! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I had the same problem! Well...technically I still do. I've chosen my A levels and I went for Physics, but I kept thinking I should have chosen French. To cut a long story short, I kept my original choices (for now, anyway) and I'm going to see what grades I get for my GCSEs and if I wanna change then, I'll change! Why not do that too?

MissSurfer

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.