A question about further maths Watch

Sparkly-Star
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I am doing AS - level maths (Edexcel) at the moment and I also got to choose further maths the other day. Is further maths just an extension of what we learn in ordinary maths or is it completely separate? Does Edexcel also have a new spec? I am doing mechanics in maths as well if that helps.
fulagroda
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
It's a separate A level (or AS level).

I was taught it along side normal maths as double maths. It was all a bit mixed up, but it came out OK in the end!
Sparkly-Star
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by fulagroda)
It's a separate A level (or AS level).

I was taught it along side normal maths as double maths. It was all a bit mixed up, but it came out OK in the end!
So it'd be like a separate qualification?

Could you give me more details of what topics etc. your maths course was made up of please? :smile:
NightKings
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
im doing my as math and further math,but i still can't able to have my further math lesson because of college can't find any college or 6 form school does AS Further Math
fulagroda
Report 9 years ago
I got 2 A levels at the end (Maths and Further Maths), as well as an extra module.

We obviously did pure maths (C1,2,3 & 4, not sure if these are still called this though...) as well as further pure maths (FP1,2,3 & 4). Then I did statistics (S1 & 2), and mechanics (M1 & 2). I also did decision maths, which was a bit of a waste of time, as it didnt count towards an A level!

So I did 13 modules, and used 6 for each A level, one left over.

We didn't study anything in order; It was 'this week we're doing some statistics' then it would change when we'd finished a topic. I swear we finished FP2 and FP3 before we started most of C3!
fulagroda
Report 9 years ago
But then I studied 'double maths' at college, rather than having separate lessons...
roosel4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's only really worth it if you are wanting to do Maths or Economics at top Unis.

If you can handle it, go for it!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (564)
37.65%
No - but I will (117)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (108)
7.21%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (709)
47.33%

Watched Threads