Best off campus gyms in lough? Watch

ElemenT'
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Now I am not living in halls anymore I need to find a decent gym in town. I used to be a member of LUFS, and tbh I found it far to busy during term time. So, the question is, what are the best gyms in town?

I was looking at Fitness First as I know that is an established brand so it can't be bad?

Fire away!
Diminutive
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I did a 1 week free trial at fitness first, and its nice. it has a tiny pool though. its classes are good, and the facilities are generally clean. The cheapest they offered me for student membership was £35 a month on like, a 12 month contract.

I'd personally recommend Charnwood leisure centre. I've swam there once a week for the last half a year or something and also did a 1 week trial at their gym. Its always nice and clean... plus theres less of an elitest attitude like at fitness first/lufs. Best bit is its something like £170 for 9 months on a student deal. They also have £19.50 a month for concessions with no contract... not 100% sure if they count students as concessions ... one part of the website says they do, one part says they dont.
zav
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Rosaaa)
Is it Fitness First that's in The Rushes? Or is that LA Fitness?
Either way, if they do an okay deal I'm planning on joining as it's less than 5 minutes walk from my flat.
It's LA Fitness and they do two different student deals an off peak on for £19.99 and an all round one for £35 odd quid I think.

I had the off peak one and you were not supposed to use it after 5 but as long as you get there before 5 they don't care. Actually sometimes I went at 6.
e_clark
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I second Charnwood Leisure Centre! Cheapest deal by far, really great facilities, nice big pool, lots of different classes, usually quiet (never waited for a piece of equipment), and generally not as snobby as LA Fitness!
e_clark
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Doesn't do spinning no, but my friend worked out its cheaper for her to join Charnwood and then pay for spinning classes at the college when she wants to go, but obv if you do it quite a lot it might not be!
Geerththanan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I will deffo back Dimunitive and Emma. Was at the Leisure Centre yesterday to have a quick chat with them, and it's £150 for 9 months assuming you sign up before the end of October, which is a pretty good deal. I would scan and upload the leaflet I got, but my scanner died the other day, lol!

But its access times are from like 9am to half 5pm, and then half 8pm until 10pm, which kinda avoids the time I wuld prefer going, but otherwise it wouldnt be that cheap would it.

but it includes...access to the gmy....swimming*...access to sauna and steam room*...workout classes...use of the power plate...use of the new life fitness circuit equipment...free gym introduction and results programme...

*subject to timetables. and all parts of the offer subject to change.

And also no joining fee...and 10 day money back guarantee..so yeah...sounds good to me....still aint checked out LA Fit/Fit First..so will decide once I have..

But I tihnk I should still get paid for the above Leisure centre promoting...hehe!
Diminutive
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The leisure centre charges for its parking... we almost got caught out with that!! Just parked and come back and realised it was pay and display! How rude! Not sure if members get some kind of concession.

G, did they mention if theres a monthly option for students?
e_clark
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Parking is like 20p at the leisure centre for members or something!
Geerththanan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Diminutive)
The leisure centre charges for its parking... we almost got caught out with that!! Just parked and come back and realised it was pay and display! How rude! Not sure if members get some kind of concession.

G, did they mention if theres a monthly option for students?
I didnt ask..and they didnt mention..as I only discussed the leaflet they gave me...

And yep..its a park and display car park at leisure centre..didnt check how much though...
Geerththanan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by e_clark)
Parking is like 20p at the leisure centre for members or something!
Oh...there...Emma has answered that...

if its 20p, then it will work out at like £4-£5 a month...which aint too bad I guess...

Or gives you an excuse to walk to the gym ...
Geerththanan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Rosaaa)
True, but if it's the middle of winter, it'll be tempting to drive if it's more than a 5 minute walk :p:
True...couldnt agree more...
Ketlar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Is LUFS really that bad??

I was looking forward to joining...
Steely
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
LUFS gets busy just before lunch like 11:15 and then again after dinner like 6:00.

Its usally busiest around revision time as people use it to let off steam and procrastinate about revision.

I use LUFS but i go in the morning before work when its dead. The facilities are fine. The areas which are usually busiest are free weights [lads come in like groups of 10] and treadmills.

LUFS is pretty cheap though, 29 pound a month maybe and theres a discount if u pay in bulk.

Hope this helps.
Dev
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've been a member of nearly every gym in loughborough during my 4 year stay here. If its off-campus gyms your after, i'd recommend charnwood leisure centre and the radmoor college gym. This year i'll be rejoining the radmoor college or powerbase. Not tried LA fitness yet - it just seems too expensive!
Ketlar
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Dev)
I've been a member of nearly every gym in loughborough during my 4 year stay here. If its off-campus gyms your after, i'd recommend charnwood leisure centre and the radmoor college gym. This year i'll be rejoining the radmoor college or powerbase. Not tried LA fitness yet - it just seems too expensive!
What's your opinion on LUFS?
ElemenT'
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
So where is Charnwood Leisuer centre and how is the equipment/weights compared to Lough?
Dev
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ketlar)
What's your opinion on LUFS?
I thought it was alright, pretty good if you want to focus on cardio. They have a small weights section, although no way near as good as powerbase - but good enough. The only problem is that it has a habit of getting too overcrowded, which meant that I started going early in the morning, so I could use everything without waiting around!

(Original post by ElemenT')
So where is Charnwood Leisuer centre and how is the equipment/weights compared to Lough?
Charnwood is on Fredrick Street(?), as you come to a junction just opposite Browns Lane resturant on Forest Road. The cardio section is probably the best in any of the gyms i've seen in loughborough, theres like 12 treadmills, 8 bikes, **** load of crosstrainers etc. The weights are good, and there's different rooms with machines for resistance training. Its a pretty good allround gym.

Tbh, I spent most of my time in these gyms doing cardio, so my memory of the weights section isn't too good!
Bex!
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
LA Fitness is amazing! And who said snobby.....err hello LA Fitness is one of the middle chain gyms! It aint no David Lloyd or Virgin Active!!!

LA Fitness do student membership - £19.99 off peak per month. I did full peak and paid £34. But im prepared to pay for a gym because its something I love. They have amazing classes and lots of them and more than enough equipment!
Adept
Report 9 years ago
Are there any gyms in or off campus that do pay as you go? like pay £x and you can use the gym for a day or something. I'm trying to look for one like that because I work out irregularly and membership seems like a waste of money.

Tried LA fitness but they don't do that.
e_clark
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Charnwood leisure centre you can pay as you go
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (121)
39.54%
No - but I will (16)
5.23%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.54%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (149)
48.69%

Watched Threads