Personal Statement clarification? Watch

calumcvet
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Heya, sorry, I know I'll be told to put this in the PS area, but this isn't my PS, it's more of a question. As I'm (stupidly some might say) only going to apply to 3 vet schools, I was just wondering if what you say in your personal statement ie being totally vet orientated puts you at a disadvantage if you're doing like I'm doing and applying to 2 unis for Zoology - I saw the "UCAS expert" teacher at my school today but he started going on about how "the school will get me into uni through clearing, no worries" - er, no, I want an offer straight off!!! I'll die of stress related illnesses if I have to go through clearing!!! :eek: Also, just for future reference, can I please PM Vet PS people with my personal statement?
Thanks
Towser
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ok, many issues mixed into one post here.

Why only 3 vet? You want the best possible chance to get into vet, no?

It won't put you at a disadvantage. You'll probably get onto the zoology courses with flying colours. Most vet apps who put a 5th choice (or in your case a 4th and 5th choice) usually do, because by it's nature you'll be mega overqualified/prepared for other science courses by comparison to the vet course, so they'll snap you up without a doubt.

The school will get you into uni through clearing? That's ambiguous. For vet? No. There is no clearing (officially) for vet. You could call those miracle cases where someone gets a call on results day and managed to go from a maybe to an offer or whatever, but these cases are rare and not really actual clearing, so to speak. There is no actual clearing for vet med.
Egglet
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think OP meant clearing for zoology...
fairy princess
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Back when I applied for Vet you could make 6 choices so i chose 2 zoology type courses as my "back ups" and even though my ps was totally orientated towards becoming a vet I got offers straight away from both uni's. Incidentally they were also both uni's that I had applied to Vet Sci for (too lazy to research other unis :p: ).

Courses such as zoology/animal behaviour/bioscience etc get a lot of applications every year from prospective vet students and still make them offers because as it has been said you will be overqualified for their courses and therefore worth the risk.

Applying to only 3 vet courses does seem a bit strange to me because even if you do get lower than average grades for a vet applicant (I've read your other thread) then you should definately get an offer for zoology without needing to apply to two courses. Most science degrees are B/C type offers. If you work hard and get your grades up you could still get a vet offer and applying for 4 would give you a better chance.
calumcvet
Rep:
?
Yah, I meant clearing for zoology, but I don't want to go through clearing full stop! The reason I'm going for 2 zoology is that I've had a good hard look at the feasability (for me) of the 7 unis who do vet, some I'm having to completely "ignore" because of money or entry issues (like RVC and Liverpool), and I would like to have a choice of where I go to to do zoology "if" I don't get into any unis for vet I'd rather apply to a few vet and not get in but still enjoy my backups by having the freedom of a choice, instead of applying to my backup choices only and regretting not applying to vet
Dinkyferret
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It sounds like you've already made your mind up.
calumcvet
Rep:
?
What, full steam ahead for vet and zoology if I don't get in? Sounds stupid I know, but I'm not applying to a couple of unis for vet because when I was at Leahurst on work ex this summer I took the opportunity to ask some of the vet students for hints and for their opinions - all but one of the 4 4th year anaesthetist students I was with on the Equine unit got in through ringing up Liverpool Uni (so sort of clearing) after they had learnt they hadn't got any offers from the unis they had originally gone for, and a good friend of mine who got the same AS grades and similar work experience to me only got one offer, very late too, in March. As much as I want to be a vet I have got to be realistic, I'd rather have a backup plan in place now than when I'm worrying come March that I haven't got a place at vet! Btw Dinkyferret please may I PM you my personal statement sometime in the near future?
Towser
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Like I said, a miracle case. It's not clearing, there is no official vet clearing, and it's rare that this happens to people on results day, because they have so many applicants to choose from, they almost always fill up completely.

Everyone knows someone who got in by this miraculous way but it's a rare occurance. I had people tell me the same -"Ring on results day! Worked for me! You're bound to have a chance somewhere if you ring up 4 unis on results day!". So a thousand people bombard the vet schools on results day, I know, I've been one of them. You think they all get in? It does happen, I'll agree, but it's only like one person per vet school per year or something crazy manage a place last minute this way.

Much in the same way everyone has a cousin's sisters uncle's friend whose mare had live healthy twin foals. Not something you should put your chips on, odds on getting a results day place are sliiim pickings bud.
Towser
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Also, how is money going to be an issue with your vet school choices? I'd seriously do 4 if you want the best chance. Going for 3 is almost half-arsed and dooming yourself to 1/4 less of a chance of getting in. Have you spoke to the vet schools about circumstances? They can help, there is support. The rich and poor alike can go to vet school man. Uni is for anyone who wants it.
pyrogena
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I applied to 4 and put one other as back up (a real half arsed back up too!) and was damn glad I took all the 4 as only one called me for interview! Looking back I would never have considered not using all 4 options.

I'd suggest thinking really hard about not taking all the options available to you - i.e. applying to 4 vet schools and 1 back up. You don't want to get rejections from 3 and then think "What if?"
calumcvet
Rep:
?
True, but I've been to all the Open Days apart from Cambridge and London (because I simply don't want to go to those unis and probs wouldn't get into Cam anyway) and the only ones that I hugely like are Glasgow, Edinburgh and Liverpool, but Liverpool's off the list as I am just short of my 10 wks work exp to enter their admissions process. Nottingham is the only other uni that appeals to me a bit, but am I stupid in saying that I would rather enjoy uni doing a non vet course at a uni I want to go to than doing a vet course in a uni I don't want to go to? I suppose it's better to approach things with an open mind but if I haven't liked the places from the Open Days, it doesnt start things off great..
steph_v
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
To be far, you don't sound motivated to become a vet whatsoever. Most people here want to be a vet regardless of what university they get into. Hopefully the admissions will see that you're not too bothered about veterinary at interview and your place goes to someone who genuinely wants it with all their heart.
Towser
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you wanna be a vet you'll go anywhere

Out of all those I applied to, Bristol was the furthest. It doesn't many any difference though. Distance shouldn't matter, but it seems to be influencing you. Some people go to different countries by air, just to go to vet school. Man up
calumcvet
Rep:
?
You know what, I have lost quite a bit of motivation and confidence due to personal circumstances thanks to a couple of events that have happened in the last few months. But the fact is, that motivation is still there. Sure, I know there are people out there who are in a much better position to get in to vet school, but that doesn't stop me from trying to achieve and make a success of my life does it? And if I don't get a place, I know it will probably be my fault, it already is my own fault for quite a few things that have happened in the last year, so in a way I will be glad in the knowledge that someone has got a place instead of me, because whoever that person is will be doing the work I've always wanted to do, and will hopefully do a bloody good job of it!

The reason I came on here was to ask for advice because I'm finding things tough at the moment. For the advice that I have got, thank you. For the snappy comments, I can understand your irritation for the way I'm going about things, but do try using your brain before letting your thoughts loose. Ultimately I'm trying to do my best to make everything work out as best as it can, not just for me, but for others too.

A death is a death nevertheless, but death hits hard.
Rachhyyyy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
what the hell! your rediculous, and everything u say makes me angry!
Towser
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah but this is vet forum, leave that stuff for H&R if you're finding things tough, and vent those issues there. Here we discuss the vet stuff, and application discussion. I don't really see how my critique was snappy. Other issues in your life don't come into this, I'm simply referring to the fact that you're only applying to a couple of vet unis but I'm gonna stop posting in this thread now.
starfall
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Towser)
If you wanna be a vet you'll go anywhere

Out of all those I applied to, Bristol was the furthest. It doesn't many any difference though. Distance shouldn't matter, but it seems to be influencing you. Some people go to different countries by air, just to go to vet school. Man up
lol i live in cornwall, and im applying to edinburgh!!! its like the furthest up country i could physically go considering i live at the very bottom :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.86%
No - but I will (88)
7.52%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (559)
47.78%

Watched Threads