The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Unknown-User
Will do.
Just ordered some books aswell (:

Are you doing Further Maths by any chance?

im 2nd year at uni, and i did IB (HL).
danny111
im 2nd year at uni, and i did IB (HL).

Oh, my bad. :o:
Reply 182
Year of Entry: 2010
GCSEs: 6A* 5A
AS Grades: AAAA Maths, Economics, History, German
A2 Predicted: AAAA Maths, Economics, History, German

Work Experience/Volunteering: Week long work experience in a bank in Germany. Worked at a Card Shop for over a year.

Universities applied to and decisions: UCL, Warwick, Nottingham, Birmingham, Manchester

I am slightly concerned due to the fact my school has an odd policy in relation to A* predictions. Although I achieved 98% UMS in German, 88% UMS in all other 3 subjects I have only been predicted 4 As. I am wondering if anyone has any idea if this will limit my application? (assuming i've written a relatively solid personal statement etc)
Reply 183
ollie1234

Work Experience/Volunteering: Week long work experience in a bank in Germany. Worked at a Card Shop for over a year.

Universities applied to and decisions: UCL, Warwick, Nottingham, Birmingham, Manchester

I am slightly concerned due to the fact my school has an odd policy in relation to A* predictions. Although I achieved 98% UMS in German, 88% UMS in all other 3 subjects I have only been predicted 4 As. I am wondering if anyone has any idea if this will limit my application? (assuming i've written a relatively solid personal statement etc)

are you (or one of your parents) german? coz it looks like it so they might see you choosing german as an easy A*. id be more concerned given that then u only have 3 A-levels really.
Reply 184
ollie1234

Just get your referee to state that the school does not make A* predictions.
Also why Manchester?
i.e. you are safe with Birmingham and by dumping Manchester you would open up a space for another top uni.
Reply 185
None of my family comes from Germany or even speaks a word of German. I wouldn't have taken a language that I could already speak for A-Level as it's pretty pointless (like you said).

Manchester is more of a filler, i'd be more than happy if I got an offer from any of UCL, Warwick or Nottingham.

The only thing is it's not that the school don't predict A*s, it's that some departments have decided they won't, and some are only predicting on criteria of mid ninety and upwards UMS. It just seems that other schools are handing out A* predictions a lot more freely.
Reply 186
ollie1234
Manchester is more of a filler, i'd be more than happy if I got an offer from any of UCL, Warwick or Nottingham.

Why have you got filler?

ollie1234
The only thing is it's not that the school don't predict A*s, it's that some departments have decided they won't, and some are only predicting on criteria of mid ninety and upwards UMS. It just seems that other schools are handing out A* predictions a lot more freely.

Similarly get the referee to state that it is departmental policy.
i got an offer from durham so all the best to the rest of yous.
Year of entry: 2010
Deferred?: NO
GCSEs: 1A* 3A 5B 1C (extenuating circumstances-bereavement)
AS Grades: Maths A, Econ A, French B, Biology D, CT D
A2 Prediction/Results:AAA
Previous Degree (if applicable): n/a
Work Experience/Volunteering:2 weeks RBS Head Office, 2 weeks KPMG UK HQ
Universities applied to and decisions:LSE, Birmingham, Sheffield, Leicester, Liverpool
Deferred?: nope
GCSEs: haven't done any
AS Grades: Econs - A, Sociology - A, Maths - A, Business Studies - B (duuuh, AQA hates the way I write my essays)
A2 Prediction: A* (Econs), A (Socio), A (Maths) + doing Further Maths A-level in one year, predicted an A.
Work Experience/Volunteering: 2 months of working full-time in the Moscow office of Russian Railways
Universities applied to and decisions: Oxford (Brasenose), LSE, Bristol, Manchester (ABB offer) & Sheffield (ABB offer)
Deferred?: no
GCSEs: 9A*
AS Grades: Maths A, Econ A, History B, Chemistry A
A2 Prediction/Results:A*AAA
Work Experience/Volunteering: 1 week with the NHS
Universities applied to and decisions:Oxford (Jesus), LSE, Warwick, Nottingham and Bristol.
Reply 191
GCSEs: 5A*, 4A, 2B
AS Grades: Maths (A), Further Maths (A), Biology (A), Chemistry (A), Latin (B)
A2 Prediction/Results: AAAAB
Work Experience/Volunteering: irrelevant to degree
Universities applied to and decisions: LSE, UCL (twice), KCL, Edinburgh
Extra info: International Student

My signature shows my choices :smile:
meiming8

Your first four choices are very ambitious and risky. These courses are very competitive. GOOD LUCK
Reply 193
meiming8

Please don't do this as you as horribly overapplying.
i.e. need atleast one safety uni.
I know you have FM and 5 A-levels but:
i) you don't have Economics or Business at A-level
ii)only 5 GCSE A*s
iii) your mixed course strategy makes it very very hard to do a good PS.
Reply 194
Paulwhy
Please don't do this as you as horribly overapplying.
i.e. need atleast one safety uni.
I know you have FM and 5 A-levels but:
i) you don't have Economics or Business at A-level
ii)only 5 GCSE A*s
iii) your mixed course strategy makes it very very hard to do a good PS.

Edinburgh is almost 100% certain for me, so don't worry, I made sure I have a backup! :smile:
Reply 195
meiming8
Edinburgh is almost 100% certain for me, so don't worry, I made sure I have a backup! :smile:

Would you care to elaborate? :biggrin:
Reply 196
meiming8

How are Edinburgh almost 100% certain for you?
i.e. they are very holistic.
Reply 197
I heard Edinburgh has a point system for applications, if your family doesn't have any higher education history, you automatically get 2 points :ninja:
Reply 198
Jinru
I heard Edinburgh has a point system for applications, if your family doesn't have any higher education history, you automatically get 2 points :ninja:

Yeah, there was an article about it on Times or Independent I think.
Reply 199
Deferred?: No
GCSEs: 8 x A*'s 2 x A's
AS Grades: AAAA (Maths (85%), French(94%), Economics(98%) and Physics (80%))
A2 Prediction/Results: A*A*A* (Maths French and Economics)
Previous Degree (if applicable): nope
Work Experience/Volunteering: 1 Week at Brewin Dolphin, 2 Weeks at Financial Advisers
Universities applied to and decisions: LSE (Economics), Warwick(Economics), Exeter(Economics), Nottingham (Economics) and Durham (Economics with French)

Mentioned these in PS:

Grade 6 Piano and Grade 8 Clarinet, French Scholarship at school. Duke of Edinburgh Bronze, Silver and Gold. Member of CCF and NAGTY (French). Part time forex trader (made quite a bit trading). Part time job as a waiter. Play in the School's Cross Country team.

I know I have gone for quite a high risk strategy, but I do have back up plans.
I will either take a gap year in France, become a forex day trader for a year, or get a job in the finance industry( hard to say the least at the moment).

Anyone think I stand a good chance?

:biggrin:

Latest