Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay, my school say it is an "exam board rule" that water is not allowed during the exam except for a medical reason. However, some of my friends at a different school said they were allowed water.

Please can somebody confirm for me the correct "rule"....I will be furious if we are actually allowed and my school were just making up their own rules. I could have died of thirst this afternoon, it was so hot.

Thank you!

:tsr:

ReputationRep:
    They're making it up.

ReputationRep:
    yup..................WE ALL DRIN

ReputationRep:
    yeah...we drink at our school....you must just have a strict school that strives off fizzy pop....ask to take in a can of coke...they might let you!

ReputationRep:
    yup, they're talking rubbish

ReputationRep:
    Of course you are allowed water!

ReputationRep:
    no coke though in most schools (i guess) ^^

ReputationRep:
    Yep we're allowed water but we've got to leave it on the floor and get them checked before, incase it has writing on it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replies ....... I can't believe they said that :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    the reason that the school has probably said no to water is in case it spills on your exam paper and messes up all your writing!
    But you are allowed water. I was ill for my AS exam earlier this week - my school has never allowed it, but i pushed and they allowed me to take it in!

ReputationRep:
    Aren't you allowed to bring food as well?

ReputationRep:
    if you have to argue with them tell them how water helps you concentrate. thats why my school let us drink water in class during normal school because some research said it helped you to concentrate, so if they still refuse tell them they are jeapordising your exam results. and then cry. and they will surely let you take it in. and i dont think coke's aloud but some girl bought in a can and drank it (with the annoying click and fizz when she opened it), no one said anything.

cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~nat~)
    the reason that the school has probably said no to water is in case it spills on your exam paper and messes up all your writing!
    But you are allowed water. I was ill for my AS exam earlier this week - my school has never allowed it, but i pushed and they allowed me to take it in!
    I appreciate that point, but they should not have said that it was an "exam board rule" when clearly it is not. I agree with the earlier poster who said their school allows it, but it is kept on the floor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OneAndOnly)
    if you have to argue with them tell them how water helps you concentrate. thats why my school let us drink water in class during normal school because some research said it helped you to concentrate, so if they still refuse tell them they are jeapordising your exam results. and then cry. and they will surely let you take it in. and i dont think coke's aloud but some girl bought in a can and drank it (with the annoying click and fizz when she opened it), no one said anything.

cheers
    LOL! I can just imagine that now, somebody clicking open the can and the fizzy noise filling the room whilst she slurped away!

I might try the crying technique, it worked when I needed an extra day for my Maths coursework!

ReputationRep:
    I've got a copy of the Joint Council for Qualifcations guidelines, which is agreed by AQA, Edexcel, OCR, CCEA and WJEC. The only relevant part that I can find is;

"You must not take into the examination room any unauthorised materials or equipment which might give you an unfair advantage such as notes, calculator cases/instruction leaflets, bags, personal TV/stereos, electronic or radio communication devices, including mobile phones."

It doesn't specify that water is disallowed throughout the entire guidelines, which are specifically written for candidates. As with Funkymonk and Seaspray, my school allows water, but it's a good idea to keep it on the floor to avoid it spilling. I can understand your school's concern, though, but nothing has ever happened at my school with water, as far as I know.

ReputationRep:
    I take lucozade in to my exams....

ReputationRep:
    We can take in any drinks we want. Our school really is lazy, they didn't even check our To Kill A Mocking Bird copies for notes before we went in - I could quite easily have used an annotated copy.

ReputationRep:
    water's allowed. I hate ur skool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Fox)
    We can take in any drinks we want. Our school really is lazy, they didn't even check our To Kill A Mocking Bird copies for notes before we went in - I could quite easily have used an annotated copy.
    What the hell, don't you get a clean copy on your exam desk? You take in your own?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Fox)
    That is completely rediculous.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.