Ladies, which first name sounds better? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Please keep anon for reasons of privacy or delete. Thanks.

Which first name do you think sounds 'better'? Serge or Sergei? Serge is more French (perhaps a bit "old hat" too), while Sergei is more Russian. It's only a single letter, but it does make quite a difference in pronunciation.

I've been told by a few girls that Sergei sounds sexier, but obviously one or two guys (not most of them, as thankfully I don't hang out with 12 year olds) take the mick because it sounds like "Sir Gay".

For phonetics reference:

Serge can be pronounced Surge, as in "a power surge", in a plain British accent. In a French accent, it can be pronounced Sair-je, where "je" is pronounced as in how you say "Je" in French.

Sergei can be pronounced Sir-gay in a British accent. In a foreign accent, it could be pronounced "Sair-gay".

So, ladies, what name would appeal to you the most upon a first introduction? Serge or Sergei? Try them in a foreign accent, they sound better, so that's probably how I'll pronounce them when someone asks my name.
john87
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
they're both gay

/thread
forever_dreamer
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Go with Serge
herzblut
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I dislike both.
ozzyoscy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
They're both pretty bad choices. I would've gone for Sergei but you're right, he will be bullied relentlessly and doesn't deserve that kind of childhood.

So Serge wins by process of elimination.
Maxien78
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Don't like either of them, but if i really really really had to choose, hands tied behind my back and gun held to my head i would choose Serge, i wouldn't choose sergei for the reasons you explained. the poor kid would be bullied into suicide.
DynamicQ
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There are plenty of Russian names around. Sergei is a bad choice for an international name, I have a friend living in Cambridge called Sergei, I will ask him (it will be a hard question to ask though haha)
bonjour_becky
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Go for just S :ninja:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (129)
38.62%
No - but I will (19)
5.69%
No - I don't want to (25)
7.49%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (161)
48.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise