student union masquerade ball Watch

-tReVoR-
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I got a letter inviting me to a masquerade ball, i don't know if it was specific to mechanical engineering or selkirk hall but i was rather amused.... also horrified :eek: I hope all events at imperial are not of such.. how does one put it... class? This really was not my sort of thing so i ignored it but i am wondering if anyone else got this?
Victor See
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
We had the masquerade ball last year. It was a co RCSU and CGCU event so an event for all the scientist and engineers. Very much a one off as well. Not all events are like that.
member312105
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think it sounds fun :yep:
Though yeah, it's not all going to be like that, haha.
lostphotobooth
Badges: 11
Report 9 years ago
Ooh I saw this event on the Imperial website or something a few weeks back. I think I'll go as I like things like that

When did you get this letter, out of curiosity? I haven't had anything in the paper form from Imperial...ever :indiff:
Higgy90
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
it was **** last year, most likely it will be **** this year :P
jen_biochem
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lostphotobooth)
Ooh I saw this event on the Imperial website or something a few weeks back. I think I'll go as I like things like that

When did you get this letter, out of curiosity? I haven't had anything in the paper form from Imperial...ever :indiff:
Same! I really want to go to this ball too, but I haven't heard from Imperial at all. Do we not get a welcome pack or something?:confused:
lostphotobooth
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jen_biochem)
Same! I really want to go to this ball too, but I haven't heard from Imperial at all. Do we not get a welcome pack or something?
No idea. Others have received welcome packs, but I haven't yet

And I see you're also doing biochem? I am as well :]
jen_biochem
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lostphotobooth)
No idea. Others have received welcome packs, but I haven't yet

And I see you're also doing biochem? I am as well :]
I feel left out

really?!:woo: ..which halls are you going to be in?
lostphotobooth
Report 9 years ago
I feel left out

really?! ..which halls are you going to be in?
I'm in Wilson House Yourself?
Pingy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Same! I really want to go to this ball too, but I haven't heard from Imperial at all. Do we not get a welcome pack or something?:confused:
I just got a welcome pack this morning, a student handbook from student union and a 'Spanner' magazine, from CUGU (engineering Department)
Pingy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Victor See)
We had the masquerade ball last year. It was a co RCSU and CGCU event so an event for all the scientist and engineers. Very much a one off as well. Not all events are like that.
do you know if the food was good last year? I'm thinking about whether the extra £22 is worth for a 3 course meal, or else I just pay £16 for the ticket without meal
:confused:
The_Octopus
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Imperial do seem to excel at not sending you things and not telling you things. If you want to go do you have to get tickets online?
Pingy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by The_Octopus)
Imperial do seem to excel at not sending you things and not telling you things. If you want to go do you have to get tickets online?
yeah, I guess so, so far I only bought 1 ticket for the Freshers' Ball on Friday
LawrenceW
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by The_Octopus)
ANSWERING A FEW QUESTIONS...

I believe you can also pay for the Masquerade Ball by cheque. Buying online is the easiest way of doing it, though.

The letters were sent out by the City & Guilds College Union (CGCU). International students might not receive these in the post due to the cost. It was still undecided last time I'd heard.

The Freshers Welcome packs (with the handbooks) are sent out by Imperial College Union (ICU). These are sent to HOME students. International students will receive these in their Halls of Residence or Departmental Mail.

The Masquerade Ball is specific to ENGINEERING students in the CGCU (who are a separate students union to the main ICU one - engineers are part of both). You are, however, allowed to bring friends.

There are 9 departments included:

*Aeronautical Engineering,
*Bioengineering,
*Chemical Engineering,
*Civil Engineering,
*Computing,
*Earth Science and Engineering,
*Electrical and Electronic Engineering,
*Materials Science and Engineering,
*Mechanical Engineering.

The dinner will be of some level of class, but it's all a bit of fun and not something you'd normally get to experience. The entertainments should be great.

Check out the facebook group for the event:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=224585895283

Buy tickets online:
https://www.imperialcollegeunion.org...9/product.html

Other events by the CGCU this term:

Freshers BBQ - http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=142155650265
Freshers Bar Night @ Archangel - http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=148312118746
CGCU Beer Festival - http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=141752031409
Scottish_gurl
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i got my welcome pack and the RCSU said we had a masquerade ball as well...is it the same one?
LawrenceW
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Last year RCSU and CGCU held a joint ball. I don't think that the RCSU are having a Masquerade Ball this year. Where did it say that they were?
gammapulsar
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Is anyone going to boicot these sort of gayish parties (really gay parties) - seriously this doesn't seem that fun - and hit the loooondon night? Come on! You know you want to! :P

I really don't feel like buying the tickets with such an advance....

I feel left out

really?!:woo: ..which halls are you going to be in?

Are you international or from UK? I didn't got a pack either ;_;
Scottish_gurl
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i got my freshers pack and there was a wee mini handbook from RCSU saying they were having a ball the 2nd friday
Fixesin
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by gammapulsar)
Is anyone going to boicot these sort of gayish parties (really gay parties) - seriously this doesn't seem that fun - and hit the loooondon night? Come on! You know you want to! :P
I'm pretty sure you meant to type Boycott? That's just the weirdest way I've seen someone spell that word :p:
gammapulsar
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Fixesin)
I'm pretty sure you meant to type Boycott? That's just the weirdest way I've seen someone spell that word :p:
LOL that. :x It does sound weird... huuh in Portuguese to boycott is boicotar so I just adapted it XD.

But anyway, my apologies dear UK citizens for my earlier stab on the British vocabulary. Where you read "boicot" it should be read as boycott!
D:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 25 Jun '19
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
    Sat, 14 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (481)
37.76%
No - but I will (98)
7.69%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.91%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (607)
47.65%

Watched Threads