Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spoon1)
    My sister once got ID'd buying vodka in Safeway - she was 23 at the time!
    OMG I WORK THERE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    I'm surprised he didn't laugh at you, considering you have to be 18 to be in a pub no matter what you're drinking.
    No you don't
    Depends on the type of pub. You can legally go into most pubs alone at 14 though.
    If what a friend said is correct if it is officially a bar you have to be 18.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luize)
    No you don't
    Depends on the type of pub. You can legally go into most pubs alone at 14 though.
    If what a friend said is correct if it is officially a bar you have to be 18.
    It depends on the type of license the place has. I'd class lloyds no.1 as a bar but they allow under 18's up to 8pm, however the bar where I work doesn't allow anyone under 18 in at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bodhisattva)
    Is that a fact?? You might want to rethink the above before someone REALLY rips in to you.
    ummm yes actually... seriously though, the people who work in there as a full time job work in supermarkets for a reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad_Monkey59)
    ummm yes actually... seriously though, the people who work in there as a full time job work in supermarkets for a reason.
    You are a really horrible person. Most adults I know who work full time in supermarkets do so because they have children and need flexible hours not because they are retards. They work hard and deserve respect.

ReputationRep:
    You know you can easily work full time hours in a supermarket and also study for a levels. I have friends that have done it.
    Anyway, the pay deal at tesco is actually quite good, espeically for bankholidays/unsocialble hours. Plus you get discounts in tesco and other places.
    As for adults which you seem to be refering to...I used to work with a neighbour of mine, she did full time hours in the local shop and then had a second job as well. Plus bringing up 4 or 5 kids from the ages of 2 to 16. Anyone that can manage their time to take children to 3 different schools every morning, look after a toddler and hold down 2 jobs while having an active social life as well can not be retarded as you put it.
    Stop trying to judge people on their jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Special Patrol)
    You are a really horrible person. Most adults I know who work full time in supermarkets do so because they have children and need flexible hours not because they are retards. They work hard and deserve respect.

lol you dont know me.

the fact is people who are smart enough not to work in supermarkets, don't work in supermarkets on shop floor level at least. My point is that if you go into a supermarket the chances are the person on the till isn't going to be the sharpest tool. Therefore it is not unreasonable for you to be ID'd because the person behind the till is behind the till for a reason.

I have first hand experiance of having to work with people who work there full time as a permanent job, and they are nice enough people, but they are not particuarly quick in any respect.

Im sure if you ever work in a supermarket, or if you use your brain you will begin to understand what im saying.

ReputationRep:
    lol you dont know me.

the fact is people who are smart enough not to work in supermarkets, don't work in supermarkets on shop floor level at least. My point is that if you go into a supermarket the chances are the person on the till isn't going to be the sharpest tool. Therefore it is not unreasonable for you to be ID'd because the person behind the till is behind the till for a reason.

I have first hand experiance of having to work with people who work there full time as a permanent job, and they are nice enough people, but they are not particuarly quick in any respect.

Im sure if you ever work in a supermarket, or if you use your brain you will begin to understand what im saying.
    I do work in a supermarket and I know plenty of people working there who have university degrees and plenty of them are quick and none of them are "retards" as you called them. I don't need to know you to come to the conclusion that some as classist as you is horrible. If you used your brain you realize how stupid it is to judge someone because of the work they do. Not everyone is obsessed with earning money just to buy things they don't want or need to impress people they don't even like. Some people know there is far more to life than that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Special Patrol)
    I do work in a supermarket and I know plenty of people working there who have university degrees and plenty of them are quick and none of them are "retards" as you called them. I don't need to know you to come to the conclusion that some as classist as you is horrible. If you used your brain you realize how stupid it is to judge someone because of the work they do. Not everyone is obsessed with earning money just to buy things they don't want or need to impress people they don't even like. Some people know there is far more to life than that.
    talk sense or shut up.

no one works in a supermarket if they have a choice.

ReputationRep:
    i got IDed last night at one of the clubs i tried to go to. kind of ironic considering im the oldest out of my group of friends, and they got in no problem and just left me.

however, i then went back with some older guys, with my hair pulled back and darker makeup and i then got in. and that was barely an hour later...

ReputationRep:
    lol you dont know me.

the fact is people who are smart enough not to work in supermarkets, don't work in supermarkets on shop floor level at least. My point is that if you go into a supermarket the chances are the person on the till isn't going to be the sharpest tool.
    Okay, what about people who might be studying astrophysics or molecular biochemistry, and who prefer working at a supermarket to support themselves through uni b/c they may like the atmosphere and the payments etc are pretty straightforward?

And they might not even be at uni full-time, they could even be on a break or GAP year? Tbh, you know what? I worked at a supermarket both in the UK and in first year over here in Australia and loved it, was easy-going and made quite a few friends from it.

Hardly had any of the emotional dramas I had to experience with waitressing, or the criticism I get now from the promotional work I do (which, might I add, is not something you want to get into if you want money fast, believe me! I'm still owed money from jobs I've done last year ).

Anyway, the point it seems many people are trying to make on here, is that it's not nice to judge people simply on what jobs they do. You wouldn't like it if someone was saying mean things about you, and I'm sure there's plenty of TSR members you would be offending with your comments. We're just trying to stick up for them :cool: :tsr:

ReputationRep:
    Im 17 n in one week i got asked for I.D, for sitting in a pub (i.e being 14!!!) n then a couple of days later went to a nightclub n got in no probs! wtf!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danni_bella83)
    Okay, what about people who might be studying astrophysics or molecular biochemistry, and who prefer working at a supermarket to support themselves through uni b/c they may like the atmosphere and the payments etc are pretty straightforward?

And they might not even be at uni full-time, they could even be on a break or GAP year? Tbh, you know what? I worked at a supermarket both in the UK and in first year over here in Australia and loved it, was easy-going and made quite a few friends from it.

Hardly had any of the emotional dramas I had to experience with waitressing, or the criticism I get now from the promotional work I do (which, might I add, is not something you want to get into if you want money fast, believe me! I'm still owed money from jobs I've done last year ).

Anyway, the point it seems many people are trying to make on here, is that it's not nice to judge people simply on what jobs they do. You wouldn't like it if someone was saying mean things about you, and I'm sure there's plenty of TSR members you would be offending with your comments. We're just trying to stick up for them :cool: :tsr:
    I was refering to the people who work for a supermarket as a job, like a full time job, with no plans for education, no kids etc. The sort of people who can't get a better job. Not people like you, me or other students or people with kids, or old people who have had to go back to work. Im refering to people who either lack the mental consistency or the dedication to do any other job. I realize that people might not like to hear this, but the vast majority of people who work in supermarkets do so because no one else will employ them, some have good reasons, kids or education etc and need flexible hours, however the vast majority don't.

I understand that my initial post was a blanket statement, and as such I apologise... but ultimately, the point stands that 2/3 times you will be served by a person as I have described above, supermarket work is an unskilled low level job, and as such the positions are filled with unskilled low level workers, would the person who finishes uni with a law degree go back to a supermarket? hell no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bodhisattva)
    Is that a fact?? You might want to rethink the above before someone REALLY rips in to you.
    Amen to that. :mad: They'e only doing their job, and fyi, some people work to live, not the other way around. You probably shouldn't judge full-time supermarket workers...

...most of the ones around our age are actually on their gap year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    ..whilst getting euro lottery for my mum, not bad for somebody about to turn 19 !
    a friend of mine once id'd someone while she was working at the cash desk at a supermarket and the guy turned out to be 30 something!!! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsingi)
    Amen to that. :mad: They'e only doing their job, and fyi, some people work to live, not the other way around. You probably shouldn't judge full-time supermarket workers...

...most of the ones around our age are actually on their gap year.
    At the end of the day the jobs need to be done. What would it be like if everyone considered themselves above supermarket work? No supermarkets that's what! All jobs have a purpose and just because some people consider them unimportent doesn't mean they are.

ReputationRep:
    There is no way anyone in Asda would be sat there for ages trying to work out the age of the person providing ID because the date comes up on the tills, eg for today 20/06/1987 would come up when the till beeps 'ID'.
    Although I agree that some people working in Asda ain't the sharpest tools in the shed, it doesn't mean that they're 'retarded', I work in Asda and the amount of people treating me as stupid and retarded has gone well into the hundreds. If we don't ID people and get caught, we lose our job. Simple as.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tash087)
    My friend got ID'd for tap water and she's 18 going on 19. The rest of us all found it pretty funny!
    :rofl:

Yes, my friend got asked if she was with an adult when buying hot chocolate at a bar at the cinema.

She's 21.

ReputationRep:
    lol you dont know me.

^^^ Comments like this infuriate me.

My sister worked in a supermarket whilst studying for a degree in business studies and computer science.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus guys, try reading the post properly before you jump on the p.c wagon.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.