Turn on thread page Beta

Elitist Universities watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Are there actually any students here? Also, why is there so much discussion about elitist universities?

ReputationRep:
    If you're good enough, you will get into the university you deserve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazmanultra)
    yeah.......but elitist universities are swamped by applications from elitist schools. it's a vicious circle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammyd)
    yeah.......but elitist universities are swamped by applications from elitist schools. it's a vicious circle
    well thats true but the top unis are making efforts to get more state school peeps in///////i dont know exactly how this works in practice but i think elitism should be getting less

ReputationRep:
    That's because students from those schools have received a better education, and are thus likely to achieve better A-level results when it comes down to it. Their teachers are better at getting 100% out of their students.

This is shown by the fact that state school students go on to do better at university than public school students, who have already pretty much achieved and reached their potential.

Of course, Cambridge and Oxford and Imperial and LSE etc can only go on the figures in front of them. They can only make limited predictions over how well a student is going to do in the future, and thus it is the A-level grades that win out in the end.

ReputationRep:
    You dont have to be at a state school for the students to give 100%, the majority of us at the grammar schools give it as well! It is true that these universities can only go on the statistics they have about each student, but it is well worth remembering that teachers push us to apply to these universities. Especially at my school, if you apply to Oxbridge then u get soooo much support and help with you uni applications and interviews, but people like me hu didnt apply to Oxbridge mainly due to the fact that they dont do the course i wanna do, dont get the sorta support that the Oxbridge candidates get, but we are still pushed to apply to the top unis!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemma1811)
    You dont have to be at a state school for the students to give 100%, the majority of us at the grammar schools give it as well! It is true that these universities can only go on the statistics they have about each student, but it is well worth remembering that teachers push us to apply to these universities. Especially at my school, if you apply to Oxbridge then u get soooo much support and help with you uni applications and interviews, but people like me hu didnt apply to Oxbridge mainly due to the fact that they dont do the course i wanna do, dont get the sorta support that the Oxbridge candidates get, but we are still pushed to apply to the top unis!
    Grammar schools are state schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Yeah, but they're selective, so generally do better than comprehensives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *starbuck*)
    Yeah, but they're selective, so generally do better than comprehensives.
    Thank you for that, but I was actually referring to:

(Original post by gemma1811)
    You dont have to be at a state school for the students to give 100%, the majority of us at the grammar schools give it as well!
    ..and hence the implication that Grammar schools are not state schools.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for that, but I was actually referring to:

Originally Posted by gemma1811
    You dont have to be at a state school for the students to give 100%, the majority of us at the grammar schools give it as well!

..and hence the implication that Grammar schools are not state schools.
    Sorry!

ReputationRep:
    Yes i aplogise, a blonde moment there i fear! but my point still stands, just replace state with public
    xxxx

ReputationRep:
    Which uni's are the so-called 'elitist' schools? Oxbridge, LSE, and...?

What do you mean by 'elitist'? Academic elite or socio-elite? Academically, the usual ordering is:
    1. Cambridge
    2. Oxford, Imperial, LSE
    3. UCL
    4. Warwick, Kings, ....

(Original post by vavavoom)
    Which uni's are the so-called 'elitist' schools? Oxbridge, LSE, and...?

ReputationRep:
    I agree people need to clarify what they mean by 'elitist'? Oxbridge and the other university's you mention are in the academic elite in the sense of being top but I don't think you could call them 'elitist' in the negative sense (as employed by self-serving politicians). They want the best, and its not in anyones interests including theirs to chose on any other criteria than ability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dogtanian)
    What do you mean by 'elitist'? Academic elite or socio-elite? Academically, the usual ordering is:
    1. Cambridge
    2. Oxford, Imperial, LSE
    3. UCL
    4. Warwick, Kings, ....
    I would have thought bristol and nottingham would fit right in there, they both have their fair share of privately educated students and very high average a-level scores, check the guardian student stats

ReputationRep:
    Are there actually any students here?
    *waves*

Not that I went to a private school mind. I did go to a grammar though.

I'm not entirely sure why there is so much discussion here about oxbridge, but there seems to be, so I hang around.

Alaric.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazmanultra)
    Erm, who says elitist universities are better than ones that aren't? My predicted grades are AAB, which is enough to get me into an elitist university, but I don't actually want to go to one. I want to do Politics at SOAS, where the typical offer is BBC- reason being, I think SOAS is miles ahead of places like Bristol or even Oxbridge. These are universities that, in a nutshell, think West is Best, and the courses reflect this. I don't want to be a part of this, and I am not a league table obsessed nut. The quality of a university is not just based on grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tina)
    well thats true but the top unis are making efforts to get more state school peeps in///////i dont know exactly how this works in practice but i think elitism should be getting less
    Everyone talks about it being unfair going to a state school because unis always take so many people from private schools.

It's actually turning into the reverse, especially at Bristol. In my school (a private school) teachers are almost surprised if you get an offer from there, and if you do it's almost inevitably going to be an AAA offer. I agree with getting more people from state schools into top unis but it's starting to mean that good private school people are being rejected.

For example, I have a friend predicted AAA, good GCSEs, good personal statement, good references (last line of it was 'I cannot recommend him more highly'), got into Oxford now i come to think of it, but was rejected from Bristol.

ReputationRep:
    LSE isn't elitist, if anything, it employs positive discrimination more than other top unis. (just see how many straight-A students complain about those with lower predicted grades getting offers from LSE whilst they get rejections). i am all for trying to spot potential rather than just going on grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyd)
    LSE isn't elitist, if anything, it employs positive discrimination more than other top unis. (just see how many straight-A students complain about those with lower predicted grades getting offers from LSE whilst they get rejections). i am all for trying to spot potential rather than just going on grades.
    Agreed! Grades aren't everything. I know people whose grades aren't exactly amazing, but they are some of the most articulate and intelligent people I have ever encountered. I hate narrow mindedness!

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.