What do doctors think of people who google their own diagnosis? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Exactly what the thread title says!
If I go to my doctors and be all 'I've been reading on the internet and I think I've got this...' am I going to get laughed at or not taken seriously?
Its not like a matter of life and death but after suffering sleep problems I found something that I seem to tick all the symptom boxes for and I was wondering if its worth going to see my doctor, only to be told 'you just need to stop drinking caffeine'...like Ive not tried that.
Thanks for any help in advance
Joseph90
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Nothing wrong with it at all. Loads of people Google their diagnosis and NHS Direct was made by doctors. So I imagine doctors won't exactly disapprove.
flugestuge
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
If I go to my doctors and be all 'I've been reading on the internet and I think I've got this...' am I going to get laughed at or not taken seriously?
He will realise that you are a moron.
warrenpenalver
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
depends on the doc. if hes an old giffer then he will probably think you are presumptious to think you knew best from the "newfangled interweb" when compared to his decades of experience!

Some younger ones wont mind as it saves them looking through loads of disorders if they arent sure.

They will never take your word for it and will still want to know the symptoms you are presenting with so they can check up what you are saying.
FAILINGKID
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
thats nothing to be embarressed of..... u wanted to know more about the problem so u googled it.... very simple :confused:
Anonymous #1
Hmm, usually I would be the sort to be dismissive of googling symptoms myself but when I came across it, it made a lot of sense! Im not giving myself a serious disease, but it says the syndrome is really un/misdiagnosed and it would only be a suggestion, the doctor does know best!
Moronic Acid
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I can imagine a GP taking such research into consideration with a minor problem, however with more serious illnesses it would probably be quite annoying to a doctor - especially when pushy relatives start imposing certain tests for the doctor to perform pertaining to an illness they 'read about online'
Anonymous #1
Oh and just to point out, its not because Im embarrased, but I want to know what the best course of action is, Im I more likely to get the right diagnoses/some help if I suggest something or whether I should leave it completely to the doctor who might make presumptions or misdiagnose. Specifically, it is to do with a sleep disorder so its not something you can take a quick look at and be like 'hey presto'
Ozzy91
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oh and just to point out, its not because Im embarrased, but I want to know what the best course of action is, Im I more likely to get the right diagnoses/some help if I suggest something or whether I should leave it completely to the doctor who might make presumptions or misdiagnose. Specifically, it is to do with a sleep disorder so its not something you can take a quick look at and be like 'hey presto'
What sleep disorder is it and which symptoms do you have?
O_Bugger_its_Hitler
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm not a doctor but I'm pretty sure they would be highly suspicious ... I tried googling a diagnosis after I got elbowed in the eye, and came up with retinal detachment and ended up panicking cos I thought I would go blind (it hurt a lot!) The doctor told me there was nothing wrong and it was fine within 2 days ... google diagnosis does nothing but make you think you will die of obscure diseases!! :p:
giran
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Doctors generally hate it when patients try to diagnose themselves. Why go to the doctors in the first place?
Anonymous #1
Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome and pretty much every sympton that Ive found that Im able to observe myself! Like, its been going on for so long that I thought it was pretty normal and I just needed to sort myself out but it got to the point where Id be up for hours or having the most physically/mentally exhausting days and still no sleep til the wee hours, same time everyday! I dont want it to come across like Im just trying to find a syndrome to compensate for my own laziness or something because that isnt the case!
Ozzy91
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome and pretty much every sympton that Ive found that Im able to observe myself! Like, its been going on for so long that I thought it was pretty normal and I just needed to sort myself out but it got to the point where Id be up for hours or having the most physically/mentally exhausting days and still no sleep til the wee hours, same time everyday! I dont want it to come across like Im just trying to find a syndrome to compensate for my own laziness or something because that isnt the case!
Just Googled it myself. Personally I wouldnt bring it up as it does seem to be a bit of a 'hoofbeats' situation. What makes you so sure it's this condition and not just being a teenager?
atheistwithfaith
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well, i'm sure it varies from doctor to doctor - some would be very arrogant and instantly dismiss anything you say because you have not had the training they have (even though the patient generally knows better than anyone what their symptoms are). On the flip side some doctors would be glad you are taking an interest in your health.

I remember seeing an episode of Embarrasing Bodies on C4 and Dr. Christian said it annoyed him when people came in with no idea whatsoever of their illness/condition. He couldn't understand why people wouldn't be interested in their own health enough to try to find some information about it.
rainbowbex
Report 9 years ago
is only when people go in and have a single symptom matching a very obscure disease that you only catch if you go to malasiya and they've never been there

exaggerated example but... you get my point!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Ozzy91)
Just Googled it myself. Personally I wouldnt bring it up as it does seem to be a bit of a 'hoofbeats' situation. What makes you so sure it's this condition and not just being a teenager?
Yeah, thats exactly the reason I don't wanna just come out with it because I know that is how it comes across. Tbh, for years I thought that was the product of just being a teenager, but after having a particularly bad week I thought maybe Id have a look and stumbled across this, which just seemed to fit.
And by no means am I sure I have it or anything, but I would like to have a doctors opinion without being just dismissed for being a teenager. I've thinking it could possible be DSPS because Ive never had a normal sleeping pattern, well I have but one thats much later than a lot of other people, even when I was a child (so my mum says.) I can sleep for hours though and Im most awake in the evening/night even if Ive been up since 6am working a long shift. Also, I feel like Ive tried other solutions, like try a specific diet to help sleep for more than a month and doing ALL the other things to help 'sleep hygiene.' I'd just like to know now if this is maybe what I have only because I would like help with it. I just don't want to go about it the wrong way.
Lover's Knot
Report 9 years ago
Yes ofcourse you can research for yourself. Believe it or not, you doc doesnt give two ***** about what you have unless it is life threatening. All docs have better things to do then hear about a diagnosis you found that fitted you.
Believe me when I say this. This is nothing to worry about because the doc cant do much anyhow about a 'syndrome' specifically because a syndrome is not a disease, it is a set of symptoms that a person displays that can become common in a general population. Stop worrying.
foxo
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well, the majority of idiotic self-diagnosis threads in H&R make me wince and I'm not even studying a course related to medicine; so one can barely imagine the drudgery of having to listen to such pompous hypochondriacs all day.
Lefty Leo
Badges: 10
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by foxo)
Well, the majority of idiotic self-diagnosis threads in H&R make me wince and I'm not even studying a course related to medicine; so one can barely imagine the drudgery of having to listen to such pompous hypochondriacs all day.
Yep, my mum complains about "overdiagnosis" especially on a personal level. (she's a doctor).
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Joseph90)
Nothing wrong with it at all. Loads of people Google their diagnosis and NHS Direct was made by doctors. So I imagine doctors won't exactly disapprove.
"NHS Direct was made by doctors"

not exactly. Doctors have very little to do with it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (488)
37.65%
No - but I will (100)
7.72%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.79%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (620)
47.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise