Three Intensive A-Level in a year Watch

Stettin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
All right. Basically my college screwed me over with the Access course I wanted. Now I have the choice of wasting this year doing nothing with my life or standing up and doing my self.

I want to do three A-Level courses that I can in a year easily. The first two are Maths and Physics. I want to do Engineering so I have to choose them.The third one gets me though. I'm scratching my head at what It could be. Anyone have Ideas? I know all the Unis ask for is Physics and Maths.

Oh and do I just study by my self and in December go to a college/School to take the test or do I register beforehand?

Thanks for anyhelp.
Waterjames
Report 9 years ago
phsycology,computing pop into mind =)
Ozzy91
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Which Engineering branch do you want to go into?
And what level of university are you aiming for?
Stettin
Rep:
?
I want to get into mainly into Aerospace Engineering but Ideally want to keep my options open. I want to go on to a course like the one in Cambridge a cousin of mine told me about where you only specialize at the last two years.

My choice of Uni? Well If I'm going to do it it's better to do it in style. I want to aim for the top ten and that it's outside London. I want to get away from the city.
Ozzy91
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Stettin)
I want to get into mainly into Aerospace Engineering but Ideally want to keep my options open. I want to go on to a course like the one in Cambridge a cousin of mine told me about where you only specialize at the last two years.

My choice of Uni? Well If I'm going to do it it's better to do it in style. I want to aim for the top ten and that it's outside London. I want to get away from the city.
Are you applying this year? Do you have anything to prove to them you're going to get the top grades? And what year are you in?

Any personal interests or preferences?

(Sorry for all the questions just trying to get a good idea for you)
Ms_Flames
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you are doing maths, ill suggest you to do Further Maths. You can also do ICT if you want to but that wont be looked upon too highly. In my opinion, further maths is a better choice
Stettin
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ozzy91)
Are you applying this year? Do you have anything to prove to them you're going to get the top grades? And what year are you in?

Any personal interests or preferences?

(Sorry for all the questions just trying to get a good idea for you)
That's the thing. I haven't been in education for a while the Course I wanted to take was Access to Engineering. When the college basically did everything to screw me over. I just planned on doing it my self. So far what I've done is I got my next door neighbour/family friend who teaches maths at a nearby college onboard to help me. Got some books from relatives of mine who have done A levels before.

That's it. It's still in the early stages for me. The college did tell me I might be able to get into the course on the 25th. My hope is resting on there.

Other then that I have nothing to prove to any Uni that I'm a hard working person. The only thing I have is my old school stuff and frankly in those days I was immature and idiotic.

(Original post by Ms_Flames)
If you are doing maths, ill suggest you to do Further Maths. You can also do ICT if you want to but that wont be looked upon too highly. In my opinion, further maths is a better choice
More Maths? Great. That will make it easier for me. I don't have to write a coursework do i?
Ozzy91
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Further Maths may not be the best option if you're trying for a top uni as most I have seen will either accept Maths or Further Maths as offer grades but not both.

I would possibly suggest Chemistry as a good one to do as it wont be alot of coursework and may compliment the science and maths.

I would also suggest if you havent got anything tangible currently to back up your skills that you wait a year and apply once you have your results back.
Stettin
Rep:
?
Further Maths may not be the best option if you're trying for a top uni as most I have seen will either accept Maths or Further Maths as offer grades but not both.

I would possibly suggest Chemistry as a good one to do as it wont be alot of coursework and may compliment the science and maths.

I would also suggest if you havent got anything tangible currently to back up your skills that you wait a year and apply once you have your results back.
So your saying I do it this year and then apply next year?
Ozzy91
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
So your saying I do it this year and then apply next year?
Yes. I know it may seem like a wasted year but it may be almost impossible to even get an interview at a top 10 university without some proof you will meet their grade requirements.
Stettin
Rep:
?
Yes. I know it may seem like a wasted year but it may be almost impossible to even get an interview at a top 10 university without some proof you will meet their grade requirements.
Well thinking about it. It seems to be pointless then to do A-levels. I can just apply for the Access Course I want next year and make sure the College don't try to screw me over again. I mean to be honest I'm not sure if I should bother working my ass off If it will just leave me at the same place position I would be in.
RedRevolver
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you are doing it like this though (i.e. two years) you might as well phone around colleges and see if you can fit on the register for Maths, Physics and ???
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oh and do I just study by my self and in December go to a college/School to take the test or do I register beforehand?
am assuming this is a serious question

Entries for January exams have to be in during October. If you hope to use a local school/college you need to sort out where you would take exams immediately. You have to do it, the awarding bodies won't sort it out for you. Late entries are possible in theory but they are a pain for exams offciers to bother with and are double or 3x the price (depends how late). You can go to the completely private centres (mostly London) but they can be extremely expensive.

Several of the courses you've mentioned include assessed coursework or practicals. These are exceptionally difficult things for a private candidate to arrange, the only place I've seen that will do it is North London College
http://www.northlondoncollege.co.uk/examreg.html

In your position I'd take a year out, earn some money if I could, and do a maths AS just to keep my brain in study mode and boost the maths skills that will be needed in the future.
Stettin
Rep:
?
**** this. I managed to get my self into the Access to Science class. I don't have to do three A-levels and it means that I can get into Uni next year.

Best part is that if there is space availbe next week in Access to Engineering I will be transferred there. To many idiots who lost their jobs went in there. The are already being lazy in the first week (I would wait atleast a month before doing something stupid) and also two people were retarded enough to lie about their age. WTF? Did they think they could keep it a secret? They got kicked out immediately.

Anyway while this Access course is basically Chemistry,Biology,Physics and Maths the title has me worried. They decided to call it Access to Biological Science even though biology is only a small part.

The other thing is should I do A-level Mathematics by myself? Just to increase my chance of getting into a good uni. Since most of these Unis are raving about the mathematics skills needed for their courses.
Ozzy91
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The other thing is should I do A-level Mathematics by myself? Just to increase my chance of getting into a good uni. Since most of these Unis are raving about the mathematics skills needed for their courses.
Couldnt hurt at all especially as you have your friend to help you if you get stuck at any point.
an_anonymous_friend
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
[QUOTE=Ozzy91]Further Maths may not be the best option if you're trying for a top uni as most I have seen will either accept Maths or Further Maths as offer grades but not both.[/QUOTE

Rubbish!Some things that get posted on this threads are just beyond me.Further maths is possibly the best option you could take for the 3rd A level.Some universities even seem to think it is better than physics due to the reduced mathematical content.
Ms_Flames
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
That's the thing. I haven't been in education for a while the Course I wanted to take was Access to Engineering. When the college basically did everything to screw me over. I just planned on doing it my self. So far what I've done is I got my next door neighbour/family friend who teaches maths at a nearby college onboard to help me. Got some books from relatives of mine who have done A levels before.

That's it. It's still in the early stages for me. The college did tell me I might be able to get into the course on the 25th. My hope is resting on there.

Other then that I have nothing to prove to any Uni that I'm a hard working person. The only thing I have is my old school stuff and frankly in those days I was immature and idiotic.

More Maths? Great. That will make it easier for me. I don't have to write a coursework do i?
Nope. No coursework for further maths. I am planning to do aeronautical engineering and am doing both physics and maths in one year. I wanted to do Further Maths too but the university i am planning to go to told me that two a levels are enough.
Stettin
Rep:
?
I couldn't be bothered sending e-mails to all the Unis so I choose three top ones that everyones outside of London. What ever they reply I'm going to use it to base my decision on what to do next. Until they reply I'm going to focus soley on the Access course. If they ask me to do A-Level maths then I'll jump on it like a ginger bird on a tan machine.

(Original post by Ms_Flames)
Nope. No coursework for further maths. I am planning to do aeronautical engineering and am doing both physics and maths in one year. I wanted to do Further Maths too but the university i am planning to go to told me that two a levels are enough.
Thanks for the help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (228)
39.31%
No - but I will (40)
6.9%
No - I don't want to (41)
7.07%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (271)
46.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise