'Dark' suit for matriculation Watch

Krazysheep
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hey,

The bumph about matriculation keeps banging on about the need for a 'dark' suit- I have aforementioned 'dark' suit but mine is pinstriped. Will this be alright, or do I need to go and get a proper plain black suit?
jonathan122
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Krazysheep)
Hey,

The bumph about matriculation keeps banging on about the need for a 'dark' suit- I have aforementioned 'dark' suit but mine is pinstriped. Will this be alright, or do I need to go and get a proper plain black suit?
You can usually get away with pin-stripes, though it could depend on how pronounced they are.
Cirsium
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If it would be obvious from across a room that it's pinstriped then probably not. If it's a thin pinstripe that isn't obvious unless you're up close then it's fine.
sherunsaway
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Tbh you would probably get away with most pinstripes for matriculation, even if they are quite pronounced. Guys turn up wearing all sorts of coloured suits, even some fairly light grey and blue ones. If they are thin pinstripes they should be fine.

Anyway the proctors seem to be more anal during exam season where people get fined for the wrong coloured socks or tights and not having their mortarboards or Bod cards. In fact my tutor was not allowed into the Holywell music room to watch one of her 3rd years do his finals recital because she wasn't wearing black tights (you have to wear subfusc to watch the recitals). And to make it worse she was actually barred entry by a Dphil student who she had farmed us out to for some tutorials earlier in the term! Never heard of anyone getting fined for having a pinstriped suit though.
Huw Davies
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I never took my mortarboard to a single exam. Think it's quite variable, or things are getting stricter.
Mook
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't know anyone who has been fined for sub-fusc mishaps, but a friend got taken aside and reprimanded for wearing the wrong colour socks. :grin:
Angelil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Seems variable. I was thrown a pair of black tights as soon as I entered the exam schools for graduation last September (had a very stressful journey to Oxford and completely forgot that I needed black tights rather than tan), so they weren't going to let me get away with a uniform breach, but I wasn't threatened with a fine either.
oxbridge_tutor
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Mook)
I don't know anyone who has been fined for sub-fusc mishaps, but a friend got taken aside and reprimanded for wearing the wrong colour socks. :grin:
The invigilators tried to throw me out of the Exam Schools a couple of years ago for wearing jeans (long story as to why...).

Disaster was only averted when the chief examiner pointed out that they couldn't start the exam without me - they scuttled off and found a gown to cover me up...
Mayfly
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You haven't experienced Oxford until you've seen someone halfway through an exam get berated by a 90 year old tutor for having a green stripe on their socks, you really haven't.

Matric though, most things go, so long as you don't take the piss. Frankly, even if you do...
cpchem
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by oxbridge_tutor)
The invigilators tried to throw me out of the Exam Schools a couple of years ago for wearing jeans (long story as to why...).

Disaster was only averted when the chief examiner pointed out that they couldn't start the exam without me - they scuttled off and found a gown to cover me up...
Several of my examiners have shown flagrant disregard for subfusc (jeans, no gown, no hood in one case, no jacket, no bowtie in another)... they seem to get away with it...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 3 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (512)
37.76%
No - but I will (104)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (93)
6.86%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (647)
47.71%

Watched Threads