Wireless connection at Manchester Watch

Fillette
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi

I am really not a technology-minded person, so excuse my ignorance :o:
I was just wondering, in order to get a wireless internet connection on my laptop, do Manchester provide us with a passphrase to enter the secure network- or is it automatic? Thanks
kftjkp
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You get taken to a long in page when you open your browser where you put in your username and password
Fillette
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
OK thanks
michy_witchy
Report 9 years ago
do we get this wireless internet in our rooms? im in weston hall
Davidosh
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by michy_witchy)
do we get this wireless internet in our rooms? im in weston hall
No only in academic buildings
capriceIam
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Davidosh)
No only in academic buildings
and what about rooms??
OhNO!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by capriceIam)
and what about rooms??
you're quoting a post which answered that EXACT question
Hanno_90
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
:O we dont get the internet in our rooms?!
OhNO!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
of course you do, just not wifi.
DeeDub
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hornet regulations bar any networking outside of their system. Therefore in your room your computer will have to be hard wired with a ethernet cable, so take one with you. You are also only allowed one device per room. This is restricted by the entering of that device's MAC address on the hornet website. There are a couple of ways to get around this if anyone wants me to explain further i will.

The log in details you use to log in to the WiFi while in a hotspot are the same you would use at a cluster PC.
michy_witchy
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by DeeDub)
Hornet regulations bar any networking outside of their system. Therefore in your room your computer will have to be hard wired with a ethernet cable, so take one with you. You are also only allowed one device per room. This is restricted by the entering of that device's MAC address on the hornet website. There are a couple of ways to get around this if anyone wants me to explain further i will.

The log in details you use to log in to the WiFi while in a hotspot are the same you would use at a cluster PC.
so say i normally use the internet in my room with an ethernet cable connected to my laptop, if i were to go visit a friend in another room in the same building or in another building altogether, does that mean i would not get access to the internet?
DeeDub
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by michy_witchy)
so say i normally use the internet in my room with an ethernet cable connected to my laptop, if i were to go visit a friend in another room in the same building or in another building altogether, does that mean i would not get access to the internet?
That i do not know. I don't know whether the MAC is specific to that room or whether you can connect from any wall socket in that building and the reason it asks for your room is to make sure each person only has one device allowed at a time.
michy_witchy
Report 9 years ago
That i do not know. I don't know whether the MAC is specific to that room or whether you can connect from any wall socket in that building and the reason it asks for your room is to make sure each person only has one device allowed at a time.
im sure we'll find out soon enough
michy_witchy
Report 9 years ago
can admin see what sites we go on?
N!ck
Report 9 years ago

Can you give any in site into this way around. By PM if you do;'t want to post publicly.
DeeDub
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by N!ck)
Can you give any in site into this way around. By PM if you do;'t want to post publicly.
There is no big secret. You can either using a mac spoofing program so that all of your computers have the same MAC address. I used a MAC spoofing program called MAC Makeup on my laptop and it worked a treat. Alternatively you can just switch it on the hornet website as many times as you like. Not really rocket science but i did it many times and as so as you switch the MAC address of the device in your room it will work.
Silvi10
Report 9 years ago
Hey, I have a question. When you join hornet you can't use the wireless internet again? Because in the terms and conditions it says this "Wireless Abuse: £130 reconnection fee to be paid after a 56 day disconnection period." What do they mean with wireless abuse? They don't mean using the uni's wireless, right? And how can they know when you use wireless if you are not connected to hornet then? I am very confused Thanks!
eddymaine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Silvi10)
Hey, I have a question. When you join hornet you can't use the wireless internet again? Because in the terms and conditions it says this "Wireless Abuse: £130 reconnection fee to be paid after a 56 day disconnection period." What do they mean with wireless abuse? They don't mean using the uni's wireless, right? And how can they know when you use wireless if you are not connected to hornet then? I am very confused Thanks!
Im pretty sure its something along the lines of setting up a wireless router...
Silvi10
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by eddymaine)
Im pretty sure its something along the lines of setting up a wireless router...
Oh ok so then I can use the wireless if I want to? Cos in my room I have a little bit sometimes... Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Manchester
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
    Sat, 22 Jun '19
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (558)
37.8%
No - but I will (115)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (103)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (700)
47.43%

Watched Threads