Avoiding Shaving Rash / Ingrowing Hairs Watch

jermaindefoe
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I have no idea if this is the right forum for this

i am trying to figure out why i tend to get a shaving rash with ingrowing hairs after shaving for a few days <but only around my neck>

I use a gillette fusion and moisturise with nivea sensitive skin stuff after but to no avail

i read that you need to shave with the grain of the hair - i am havibg trouble with this as the neck hair tends to grow in many directions in close areas.

Tips would be welcome (for the neck aread predominantly). I shave immediatley after shower and splash my face with warm to hot water first, then shave, splash with cold water then moisturise

thanks
impervious
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I often end up with large spots verging on boils below my chin which blame on ingrown hairs.
So I'm looking for some advice as well
del1507
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You are using a decent shaving gel right? Try one for sensitive skin.
Vokes
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Going with the grain is definately the trick and I very very rarely get any when I do. When I go against for an extra smooth shave, I get loads soon after.

If you are having trouble as you cant go with the grain very easily, get some exfoliating gloves (they are like rough glove things) and use them before you shave. The bring up the hairs and reduces the chances of getting ingrowing ones. They also get you extra smooth.
jermaindefoe
Rep:
?
i am indeed using sensitive skin shaving gel :teeth: how camp is this :eek4: lol

however is there a diagram on the net or something that shows which way you should shave for each seub section if your face / neck

i cant find one but that would be might handy lol

if any of you no then could you let me no what direction i should shave my neck - thanks
Vokes
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jermaindefoe)
i am indeed using sensitive skin shaving gel :teeth: how camp is this :eek4: lol

however is there a diagram on the net or something that shows which way you should shave for each seub section if your face / neck

i cant find one but that would be might handy lol

if any of you no then could you let me no what direction i should shave my neck - thanks

Its a bit hard to say really everyone is different, but generally on the face/chin/centre of neck is down, jaw line is across from side of chin to ear and side of neck is diagonally downward towards your shoulder.

But as I say everyone differs slightly lol.
jermaindefoe
Rep:
?
lol nice one vokes - i will give that a go then let you no (cant do it till this stupid shaving rashy thing has gone :rant: )
del1507
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I shave downwards on my sideburns, cheeks, upper lip and chin and upwards on my neck.

Then I usually do the exact opposite of that which is against the grain. I can't get a smooth shave without going against the grain.
Vokes
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Try exfoliating gloves honestly. My mrs was going on about them and I was like forget that too much hassel (im not really one for creams and all that stuff), but I tried it once and you can get and awesomely close shave with the grain and no ingrowing hairs. Best done when scrubbing your face or in bath / shower.
AyeUpFoxy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
AntiSeptic Cream Is Amazing For Shaving Rash, It May Still Come Up But If You Put The Cream On Everyday After A While You Wont Get Shaving Rash At All. Its An Amazing Cream I Use To Always get Shaving Rash On My Legs And Now I Use To Cream everyday And In A Month Its Gone.

Its Also Amazing On Preventing Black Heads And Reducing Spot Redness!
jermaindefoe
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vokes)
Try exfoliating gloves honestly. My mrs was going on about them and I was like forget that too much hassel (im not really one for creams and all that stuff), but I tried it once and you can get and awesomely close shave with the grain and no ingrowing hairs. Best done when scrubbing your face or in bath / shower.
the shaving or the exfoliating ?
DeeDub
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I get the exact same quite often. About half the time it is fine and half the time i get a load. I am not sure what i am doing different each time. It seems like it is pretty common for young guys who only need to shave once every other day. I also found that using shaving oil underneath the gel/foam alleviated it a bit.
Vokes
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jermaindefoe)
the shaving or the exfoliating ?

The exfoliating gloves. Just dont use face scrub only normal soap / shower gel etc. or you end up with no face left lol
jermaindefoe
Rep:
?
ok then i will give it a go

thanks for the help mate
jermaindefoe
Rep:
?
ok well now it doesnt come back as such - well it does but not for a day

then it gets itchy again as the hair is growing :rant:
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by del1507)
I shave downwards on my sideburns, cheeks, upper lip and chin and upwards on my neck.

Then I usually do the exact opposite of that which is against the grain. I can't get a smooth shave without going against the grain.
On the rare occasion I do shave, I have to go against the grain or else it barely works at all!
bananaslug77
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Before you shave, you need to exfoliate. You could do this by washing your face with a sponge and soap or whatever you use to wash your face, or you can buy a facial exfoliator to do it with. I would also use a sensitive shaving foam, too, and always use a sharp razor with more than one blade so you don't have to keep shaving the same area (which irritates your skin after a while). Then do your moisturising etc when you're done.

I hope that helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (344)
37.84%
No - but I will (72)
7.92%
No - I don't want to (65)
7.15%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (428)
47.08%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise